banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 07-15-2002, 11:49 PM   #1
RBENGALS

IM NOT TO CRAZY ABOUT LIVE MUSIC, I ONLY HAVE A FEW LIVE ALBUMS. I WAS HOPING YOU COULD TELL ME IF GORDS ARE WORTH OWNING. HONEST OPINIONS PLEASE. BY THE WAY I HAVE A CARLY SIMON AND BOB SEGER LIVE BOTH ARE WORTH HAVIN. I NOTICE A LOT OF TIMES I BUY A GREATEST HITS ALBUM AND SOME OF MY FAVORITE SONGS ARE LIVE VERSIONS. I HATE WHEN THAT HAPPENS. ALOT OF THE TIMES I FEEL THE MUSIC OVERPOWERS THE VOCALS ON LIVE ALBUMS. IT SEEMS THAT WOULDNT HAPPEN WITH GORD. ALSO I THINK THE LIVE ALBUM FOR GORD IS FROM EARLY 70'S OR SO WHICH IN MY OPINION WAS WHEN HIS VOICE COULD OVERPOWER THE MUSIC IF YOU NO WHAT I MEAN. THANKS FOR ANY COMMENTS.JUST BOUGHT ODR AND DSR VERY GOOD FIRST TIME HEARING SOME SONGS.
RBENGALS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 12:56 AM   #2
Restless

I'm not too keen on live recordings, either, but Sunday Concert, the import version on the Bear Family label, is definitely worthwhile, especially because of the bonus tracks.
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 06:56 AM   #3
joveski

SUNDAY CONCERT IS WORTH GETTING. IT SORT OF SIGNALS THE START OF HIS 70S BARITONE VOICE. HE DOES THINGS WITH HIS VOICE ON THIS ALBUM THAT YOU DON'T HEAR ON THE STUDIO ALBUMS. PLUS, THERE A LOTSA SONGS THAT AREN'T ON HIS STUDIO ALBUMS - SOMETHING YOU DON'T FIND OTHER ARTISTS LIVE ALBUMS.
ALSO WORTH IT FOR GORD'S TAKE ON DYLAN'S 'JUST LIKE TOM THUMB'S BLUES'
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 09:03 AM   #4
notsocooldude

Joveski, interested in your item. If you have "Just like Tom Thumb Blues" on 'Sunday Concert' You are lucky. I have this album in both vinyl and CD format, and no "Just like Tom Thumb Blues" In fact the song is not even in the track listing elsewhere on this very site. Is there another version of "Sunday Concert" out there?
notsocooldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 12:31 PM   #5
james hill

RBENGALS,

I agree. Live albums aren't my faves either, but Sunday Concert is an exception with or without the bonus tracks. Almost 1/2 the album is prev. unav. on any other GL album. "Lost Children", "Leaves of Grass", "Windowpane", are all wonderful songs. Gord's Gold Vol.II is basically a live GL recording without the audience.

the live video is a must!
James Hill
james hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 01:33 PM   #6
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

The original 11 tracks from the Sunday Concert LP are available on many different CDs. The one from Bear Family (referenced several times in this thread) has 5 additional tracks, all studio recordings. None of these bonus tracks were released on an album previously, but several were released either on a 45 or an EP. If you visit the album page for Sunday Concert on my web site, you can see all 16 tracks. And the "Albums" page lists the other CDs that contain the 11 tracks from the original LP. The page for Sunday Concert is here:
www.gordonlightfoot.com/SundayConcert-album.shtml

So, if you want the 5 bonus tracks you must get the Bear Family CD Sunday Concert Plus. It is an import album, so a little more expensive, but the bonus tracks and the remastering make it worth it. You can usually find it for under $20 these days.

------------------
Valerie Magee

Visit my GL web site at gordonlightfoot.com
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 02:18 PM   #7
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

RBENGALS,

Buy Sunday Concert, either regular or plus, it's really a great "live" album.
"Ballad of Yarmouth Castle" alone is worth the price.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote