banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 02-23-2001, 06:59 PM   #1
fenman

Sorry to be petty, but can anyone explain to me what "Endless Wire" is actually ABOUT?! I love the song and the album, but I just don't get the metaphor, (If that's what it is). I love to read Gord's lyrics as well as listen to his music, but this is the one that has stumped me more than any other. Can any of you shed any light on what Gord was getting at here?!
fenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 06:59 PM   #2
Dan O'Malley

Sorry to be petty, but can anyone explain to me what "Endless Wire" is actually ABOUT?! I love the song and the album, but I just don't get the metaphor, (If that's what it is). I love to read Gord's lyrics as well as listen to his music, but this is the one that has stumped me more than any other. Can any of you shed any light on what Gord was getting at here?!
Dan O'Malley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 09:28 PM   #3
rainydayperson

I ain't got nothin' to hide
My mind is an endless wire
I got both feet on the ground
I ain't got no one for hire
I ain't got a thing to show
My lines have all expired
So don't go foolin' around
And set my wheels afire
Down in the dark of a burnt out soul
There's a few good second hand dreams
Deep in the dark of a heavenly night with you
Down in the black of a bottomless hole
There's a few good second hand scenes
Deep in the dark of the heavenly blue
Where the sea runs green

I ain't got nothin' to give
My life is an endless climb
My love's a paperback dream
I don't have nothin' but time
I don't know my own name
And set my wheels afire

Where the sea runs green

I don't have no one for hire
My life is an endless dream
I ain't got nothin' but time

Sounds to me like Gord's a tad depressed here and is referring to life as an wire without end. Life just keeps going on with no favorable changes and he's having relationship difficulties also. That's my guess. Might even be a drug related song. He doesn't know his own name or is that because he's emotionally wrecked in this difficult relationship?....Anyone else venture a thought.
rainydayperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 09:28 PM   #4
classicmixdj

I ain't got no one for hire
My lines have all expired
And set my wheels afire
Where the sea runs green

I ain't got nothin' to give
My life is an endless climb
I don't have nothin' but time
I don't know my own name
And set my wheels afire

Where the sea runs green

I don't have no one for hire
My life is an endless dream
I ain't got nothin' but time

Sounds to me like Gord's a tad depressed here and is referring to life as an wire without end. Life just keeps going on with no favorable changes and he's having relationship difficulties also. That's my guess. Might even be a drug related song. He doesn't know his own name or is that because he's emotionally wrecked in this difficult relationship?....Anyone else venture a thought.
classicmixdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2001, 02:57 AM   #5
Cotton Jen

No need to apologize, Dan, I'll admit there are several songs, of Gord's that I would love to have him explain to us!...but Endless Wire has been a favorite of mine, for years, that I've always felt I could relate to and although my thoughts may be way off base, this is the way I see it. I agree with classicmixdj as far as it has to do with a certain relationship, but not that he is depressed, and I do not see any drug relationship, either?...rather, that he is happy with his life, the way it is, and is now excited about someone who has come into his life, and coming from someone who has been around the block, several times, he is saying, what he has to offer her, which is just himself, what you see, is what you get, "I ain't got nothing to hide", and "nothing to give", "I don't have no one for hire", and "I ain't got a thing to show," he is offering himself, as he is, plain and simple, him! With his feet on the ground, he is steady too! but he has the same dreams as everyone else, The need to be loved, the desire to be loved, " a paperback dream" "My life is an endless dream" until that one special person comes into his life, he will wait and dream, an endless dream, until it becomes a reality. "I ain't got nothin' but time, all the time in the world, to wait for you!!"My mind is an endless wire" The best line of all, the one I can really relate to, how do you shut it off, I can't stop, thinking, dreaming, living, laughing, loving, waiting, even "down in the dark of a burnt out soul" one that has been there before, but willing to go again, the pain is worth the passion!!" the second hand dreams" in a "heavenly night with you" sounds worth the excitement, but no, no, no, "don't go foolin' around" with my heart, by getting it all excited, if you arn't going to be a part of my dreams..."And set my wheels afire", by being a part of my heavenly blue,and putting these wonderful thoughts into my head and getting me all excited," where the sea runs green" which would be his definition of Heaven, since we already know how much he loves the sea, becomes he sings about it enough!! Just a thought, What do you think? or do you, like me, think too much? Is Your Mind an endless wire, By the way did I mention how much I love Gordon and his music, and his BAND, especially his BAND MEMBERS, which set my wheels and heart afire, so please do go foolin around!!
Cotton Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2001, 11:41 AM   #6
rainydayperson

After reading the response of Veronica I am inclined to agree with her accessment of the song. It's certainly a more positive view. I was distracted when I wrote the thought . I'm still a bit puzzled about the comment Gord makes of not knowing his own name. Help!

Could it be that at this point in history (when he wrote the song) he is so busy he doesn't know who he is?

[This message has been edited by classicmixdj (edited February 24, 2001).]
rainydayperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2001, 11:41 AM   #7
classicmixdj

After reading the response of Veronica I am inclined to agree with her accessment of the song. It's certainly a more positive view. I was distracted when I wrote the thought . I'm still a bit puzzled about the comment Gord makes of not knowing his own name. Help!

Could it be that at this point in history (when he wrote the song) he is so busy he doesn't know who he is?

[This message has been edited by classicmixdj (edited February 24, 2001).]
classicmixdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2001, 04:47 PM   #8
Dan O'Malley

Thanks for the responses, they made sense to me. My own mind is more of a dead end than an endless wire! Despite the darkish sound of the song, Gord wrote in the songbook set that he felt optimistic at he time he wrote it, so maybe the music offsets the lyrics here, intentionally or not1
Dan O'Malley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2001, 05:55 PM   #9
joveski

i think the best part of it is where the chorus ends, and you hear that echoeing sound before that F# chord rings out. I love that bit.
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 01:56 PM   #10
Ferret Mike

Your view of this song seems a little rosy to me, Veronica, but the lyrics do lend themselves to different interpretations.

My own view is that the song is about a drifter who has little or nothing to his name but does have an attitude. The various verses describe the drifter to outward appearances. The "chorus" is a little bit about the interior of the drifter, with the references to the soul with the second hand dreams. I think that this is in keeping with a number of the songs Gord has written--the vagabond with no strings attached (except an old guitar in some cases!).

JMHO.
Ferret Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 01:56 PM   #11
jay

Your view of this song seems a little rosy to me, Veronica, but the lyrics do lend themselves to different interpretations.

My own view is that the song is about a drifter who has little or nothing to his name but does have an attitude. The various verses describe the drifter to outward appearances. The "chorus" is a little bit about the interior of the drifter, with the references to the soul with the second hand dreams. I think that this is in keeping with a number of the songs Gord has written--the vagabond with no strings attached (except an old guitar in some cases!).

JMHO.
________
Nh Series

Last edited by jay; 05-03-2011 at 04:59 AM.
jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 06:04 PM   #12
gathrb

I've always thought this song was a varation of the "IN MY FASHION" theme. "I ain't got nothing to hide" "I aint got no one for hire" He is what he is.

It sounds like he's been hurt by past loves..."My Love's a paperback dream". I guess his ex would make a good book or soap opera. And he's still not ready for another relationship YET..."Don't go foolin' around and set my wheels afire....[however]..."down in the dark of a burnt out soul theres a few good second hand dreams". He still has thoughts & dreams of love, but not right now. Sounds like he's comfortable being alone. He see's his life as an endless wire or thread...and has plenty of time yet to live.
gathrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 06:04 PM   #13
Tom

I've always thought this song was a varation of the "IN MY FASHION" theme. "I ain't got nothing to hide" "I aint got no one for hire" He is what he is.

It sounds like he's been hurt by past loves..."My Love's a paperback dream". I guess his ex would make a good book or soap opera. And he's still not ready for another relationship YET..."Don't go foolin' around and set my wheels afire....[however]..."down in the dark of a burnt out soul theres a few good second hand dreams". He still has thoughts & dreams of love, but not right now. Sounds like he's comfortable being alone. He see's his life as an endless wire or thread...and has plenty of time yet to live.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 10:09 AM   #14
Selene

Hi everyone. I am new to this board. I see music in two categories: Lightfoot, and Everything Else.

I have never associated Endless Wire with relationship, but with career, or his life in general. Lightfoot was at the pinacle of his career in the mid-late seventies. To me the lyrics suggest someone who is amazed at the ride he is having--and to some degree hopes it will not end ("So don't go fooling around, and set my wheels aflame").

Of course it is extremely presumptious for anyone to interpret someone else's thoughts, but then again, that's what art is all about. Sometimes when I write songs I may use a line just because it fits or because it is intriguing. Every line does not have to be autobiographical, or laced with personal meaning (or drug-induced).
Selene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 10:09 AM   #15
Martin/12

Hi everyone. I am new to this board. I see music in two categories: Lightfoot, and Everything Else.

I have never associated Endless Wire with relationship, but with career, or his life in general. Lightfoot was at the pinacle of his career in the mid-late seventies. To me the lyrics suggest someone who is amazed at the ride he is having--and to some degree hopes it will not end ("So don't go fooling around, and set my wheels aflame").

Of course it is extremely presumptious for anyone to interpret someone else's thoughts, but then again, that's what art is all about. Sometimes when I write songs I may use a line just because it fits or because it is intriguing. Every line does not have to be autobiographical, or laced with personal meaning (or drug-induced).
Martin/12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 11:38 AM   #16
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

OK Dan having just refound this topic of yours from 2001 it looks like your question was never really answered in this topic at least

However the song and album title have been explained a few times that I know of and refers to the immense quantity of electrical
wiring required during the construction of his yacht the "Golden Goose"

Somebody mooning aboot on a yacht!!!

The following is from a 1979 article in Yachting magazine that is reproduced on Wayne's site at:-
http://www.lightfoot.ca/goldgoos.htm
"The navigation station, just to the port of helm, is so well endowed that Lightfoot titled his last album "Endless Wire,"
after seeing the task before the electrician"
John Fowles
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 11:38 AM   #17
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

OK Dan having just refound this topic of yours from 2001 it looks like your question was never really answered in this topic at least

However the song and album title have been explained a few times that I know of and refers to the immense quantity of electrical
wiring required during the construction of his yacht the "Golden Goose"

Somebody mooning aboot on a yacht!!!

The following is from a 1979 article in Yachting magazine that is reproduced on Wayne's site at:-
http://www.lightfoot.ca/goldgoos.htm
"The navigation station, just to the port of helm, is so well endowed that Lightfoot titled his last album "Endless Wire,"
after seeing the task before the electrician"
John Fowles
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 10:19 PM   #18
jeffyjo

I always assumed the song was about suicide.
jeffyjo is offline   Reply With Quote