banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 07-21-2004, 05:37 PM   #1
sonofason

I am new to the forum, but an old fan of the Fitz and a family member of one of the crewmembers (Robert C. Raferty) the cook, who perished with the Fitz. If anyone would be kind enough to send me some pictures of the Edmund Fitzgerald, I would be most thankful. I am currently constructing another scrapbook of photos for my mother who is the daughter of Robert. (my grandfather) Thank you! Allen Johnson
sonofason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 07:12 PM   #2
charlene

Hi Allen,
google images has many pics. http://images.google.ca/images?q=edm...=Google+Search

copy and paste or go to google, search edmund fitzgerald and click on the IMAGES above the search bar.
I hope this helps.
Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 03:12 AM   #3
Borderstone

When you say you are a family member related to the cook who parished,are you a nephew or a son like you name says? Grandkid? Just wondering because I find it incredible and great that someone so closely associatedd with GL's classic is actually here posting a message. <----Totally cool!! Did you get to know Raferty at all by the way?

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 06:27 AM   #4
charlene

from what it says in the rest of his post his mother was the daughter and that makes him the grandson... seemed clear to me...."son of a son" is a grandchild as well...
like Jimmy Buffett says - son of a son of a sailor. he's the grandson.
char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 11:56 PM   #5
sonofason

Charlene you are right. I am the grandson of Robert c Raferty. And right again about the sonofason. I admit I stole it from Jimmy buffet :-} I was only 4 yrs old when my grandfather carried me up the long ladder on the boat.He was the cook so we got to eat there.And yes i remember it well. The freighter was so incredibly huge!. I also remember me and my mom either going to visit, or dropping him off and I remember standing on the dock watching him wave at us. He looked so tiny because the Fitz was even larger looking when it is empty. My mother knows Gordon Lightfoot, and has had backstage passes to one of his shows he did in Ks. Where my mom lives. She also talked w him on the phone at one time I remember. Also She attends the memorial at whitefish where the Maritime Sailors cathedral is. From time to time, Gordon Lightfoot will attend and my mom has a photo with him. He was wearing that same leather jacket that is in the pic Charlene posted I could be wrong, but it is definately the same jacket. And yes they do ring the bell 29 times for each of the beloved members. Thanks so much for directing me to the pics. God bless you all. Any more questions? Fell free to ask. Allen Johnson.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:39 AM   #6
sonofason

Thanks again for the pics on google. I never knew there was an actual picture of my mother! She is on the 4rth picture page on the bottom. There is an article that is with the picture from the Detriot news if you would like to read it. She is famous haha. She was on tv 2 times and in a bunch of local newspapers. She is also an administrator at seffo.com. It is a site made by the family members if you'd like to check that out. And you can contact her there and she will be hapy to answer any questions. She is real open about sharing the story. Just in the past few years i started really getting involved. Until I finally got a computer, and started surfing the web, I never knew how big this seemingly never ending story is about the boat and the song and the mystery of the wreck.I think it is so neat to have talked with so many people I dont even know. And, like myself, every one seems to be so interested and wanting to know more. I think Gordon Lightfoot is cool. His songs are awesome, and he is the the main reason this story remains. Thank you Gordon Lightfoot!!! Allen Johnson
Old 07-24-2004, 12:27 AM   #7
stationmaster

"The pride of the American side"

The 29 crew members of the Edmund Fitzgerald http://www.pet-portraits.net/edmund_...rald_crew.html

[This message has been edited by stationmaster (edited July 24, 2004).]
stationmaster is offline   Reply With Quote