banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 10-16-2005, 07:21 PM   #1
Borderstone

The other day I was here at the library looking for something "different" to check out on DVD. I went to the "music books" section,where they also have DVD's & VHS tapes.

I found first of all a DVD chroicleing the Beatles first visit to the U.S. (which I'll talk about another time),"Woodstock" and one called Festival Express".

In "F.Ex." a group of well known and up and coming musical acts tour Canada from East to West on train that has that title painted on the side. They do three shows over a week's time from 6/28/70 to July 4th in Toronto,Seskatoon and Ontario.

It also takes an intimate look at these artists socializing and jamming on the train itself.
Among these acts are,Grateful Dead,The Band (take a load off Fanny!),New Riders Of The Purple Sage,Buddy Guy,Ian & Sylvia and Janis Joplin!!! There's others too but the names escape me. Imagine..seeing Joplin as herself and not the "icon". :D

The footage had been locked away in the producer's home for decades and were finally brought to light again 2 years ago and made into this excellent DVD. All the bands & singers are great but the highlight is The Joplin performances of "Cry Baby","Tell Mama" and two other rare gems (I forgot to bring the DVD with me! )

Her final performance at the end of the 90min. filmtakes place on July 4th,1970...exactly 3 months to the day before she passed away! So this really is a rarity! I definetley reccomend buying it,because I sure will the minute I find it and have the money too.

In some extra songs not put in the 90min part,there is a guy named Tom Rush who does a song called,"Child's Song" about a grown boy who leaves home. I just wept at that one! The other extra songs are great too and there are interviews with some that were there.

Is anyone here from Canada that's ols enough to recall this event? It's a great find for me. Boy,the things that went on when I was a baby! (Wish I'd been there...for the music.

[ October 16, 2005, 19:28: Message edited by: Borderstone ]
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 09:44 PM   #2
Molly

This is suppose to be on Showtime October 21st.

[ October 16, 2005, 21:58: Message edited by: Molly ]
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:02 PM   #3
Borderstone

If I had cable I'd definetley watch it again. Tune into it Molly,it's so worth it!
Old 10-19-2005, 05:34 PM   #4
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Quote:
Originally posted by Borderstone:
The other day I was here at the library looking for something "different" to check out on DVD. I went to the "music books" section,where they also have DVD's & VHS tapes.

I found first of all a DVD chroicleing the Beatles first visit to the U.S. (which I'll talk about another time),"Woodstock" and one called Festival Express". [clip]

I remember the Beatles first visit to the U.S., and I'm not that old... really! I watched it from the crib... as an infant.

In "F.Ex." a group of well known and up and coming musical acts tour Canada from East to West on train that has that title painted on the side. They do three shows over a week's time from 6/28/70 to July 4th in Toronto,Seskatoon and Ontario.

It also takes an intimate look at these artists socializing and jamming on the train itself.
Among these acts are,Grateful Dead,The Band (take a load off Fanny!),New Riders Of The Purple Sage,Buddy Guy,Ian & Sylvia and Janis Joplin!!! There's others too but the names escape me. Imagine..seeing Joplin as herself and not the "icon". :D

The footage had been locked away in the producer's home for decades and were finally brought to light again 2 years ago and made into this excellent DVD. All the bands & singers are great but the highlight is The Joplin performances of "Cry Baby","Tell Mama" and two other rare gems (I forgot to bring the DVD with me! )

Her final performance at the end of the 90min. filmtakes place on July 4th,1970...exactly 3 months to the day before she passed away! So this really is a rarity! I definetley reccomend buying it,because I sure will the minute I find it and have the money too.

In some extra songs not put in the 90min part,there is a guy named Tom Rush who does a song called,"Child's Song" about a grown boy who leaves home. I just wept at that one! The other extra songs are great too and there are interviews with some that were there.

Is anyone here from Canada that's ols enough to recall this event? It's a great find for me. Boy,the things that went on when I was a baby! (Wish I'd been there...for the music.
I live right on the eastern border of Maine, close to New Brunswick, so I have seen some of the shows you mention, but it seems to me they were parts of musical specials, and not the entire show. I remember the shows featuring Janis Joplin, The Band, Ian & Sylvia.

Cathy
http://www.cathycowette.com
Old 10-19-2005, 05:49 PM   #5
Borderstone

Those "have" to be the shows Cathy! Same folks I saw on the DVD. If you went to these shows between June 30th and July 4th 1970,you were there!

Once again I sigh,wishing I could have been old enough to know and experince. *sigh*