banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-12-2014, 07:35 PM   #1
charlene

Default SUNDOWN @ 40 - June 29-Harbourfront-Toronto

https://www.facebook.com/events/6492...y_type=regular

https://www.facebook.com/events/6492...gular&source=1

Sunday, June 29 at 8:30pm

WestJet Stage at Harbourfront Centre
235 Queens Quay West, Toronto, Ontario M5J 2G8

www.harbourfrontcentre.com
In 1974, Gordon Lightfoot's Sundown was released and, led by the title track and “Carefree Highway,” marked the first time that Lightfoot topped both the Canadian and American charts (led by the title track and "Carefree Highway," two of Lightfoot's best-known songs). The 40th anniversary of his most commercially-successful album is a great opportunity to celebrate the songwriter's legacy. We look back, to his forging of a new and powerful voice that turned heads the world over, and we look ahead, to the music and musicians that he has influenced, across the musical map.

Leading the Lightfoot celebrations is celebrated singer-songwriter and Juno nominee Tom Wilson (Junkhouse, Blackie and the Rodeo Kings), whose group LeE HARVeY OsMOND (LHO) will act as the house band while a cast of Canada's foremost artists influenced by Lightfoot present their own twists on tunes from the Lightfoot canon. Confirmed guests include Ron Sexsmith, Dan Romano and Harlan Pepper, with more all-star participants to be announced.

lightfoot.ca

Tom Wilson and LeE HARVeY OsMOND
Tom Wilson (guitar and vocals) struck Canadian rock gold in the '90s as the leader of the much-loved Junkhouse, and then found a whole new audience as a crucial component of roots-rock super-group Blackie and the Rodeo. Wilson released solo albums in 2001 and 2006, and his 2005 collaboration with Bob Lanois, The Shack Recordings, was critically acclaimed. A Quiet Evil was LeE HARVeY OsMOND's debut album, hatched when Latent Recordings owner/producer Michael Timmins and Tom Wilson conspired to create the birth of "Acid Folk". The album was critically rewarded and placed on the Polaris Prize long list. 2013’s The Folk Sinner is the logical progression, produced once again by Michael Timmins and joined by a fantastic group of guests, including Margot Timmins, Hawksley Workman, Colin Linden, Oh Suzanna, Andy Maize, and Paul Reddick, to name a few.
Learn more.

Gordon Lightfoot
Now in his eighth decade as a performer and seventh as a recording artist, Gordon Lightfoot is one of the most prolific and greatest Canadian singer-songwriters of all time. There are the stats: 20 albums, 5 Grammy nominations and 17 Junos. The truckloads of chart-topping songs in both the US – 5 #1s, 5 top-10s and 13 top-40s – and Canada – 16 #1s, 18 top-10s and 21 top-40s.

There is the postage: Canada Post issued a Lightfoot stamp in 2007. There are the versions of his songs recorded by a veritable who’s-who of country, pop, folk and rock artists including: Bob Dylan, Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, Jr., Marty Robbins, Jerry Lee Lewis, Judy Collins, Johnny Mathis, Anne Murray, Olivia Newton-John, Sarah McLachlan, Barbra Streisand, Peter Paul & Mary, Harry Belafonte, Jane’s Addiction, Richie Havens, Glen Campbell, Toby Keith, George Hamilton IV and Eric Clapton. And there are the inductions and honours: He is one of less than 400 artists inducted into the Songwriters Hall Of Fame. He has been decorated with the highest honors bestowed to a civilian including the Governor's General Award and the Companion to the Order of Canada honor of merit. He is a member of Canada's Walk of Fame and has been inducted into the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame, Canadian Music Hall of Fame and the Canadian Country Music Hall of Fame.

Guests:

Ron Sexsmith
Ron Sexsmith started his first band at 14, and after making the rounds on the folk circuit, he decided to focus his attentions on becoming a songwriter. After moving to the Toronto area, Sexsmith formed the Uncool and began issuing his own material in 1985. He continued performing while maintaining a day job as a courier but did not release anything more until 1991's Grand Opera Lane, recorded by Blue Rodeo's Bob Wiseman. The collection of songs helped earn Sexsmith a songwriting contract and eventually a recording deal with Interscope Records; teamed with producer Mitchell Froom, he released his self-titled debut in 1995. His 13th album, Forever Endeavour, came out in 2013.

Harlan Pepper
The members of Harlan Pepper are both your average bunch of 21-year-olds (best friends since kindergarten, hockey teammates and university roommates) and not your average 21-year-olds (musicians talented beyond their years and catalogue). Though they have one album to their name, they’ve already achieved an impressive list of music biz milestones that include meeting Neil Young and performing at Massey Hall. Harlan Pepper’s sweet and pure rock groove contains good-time vibes that bring to mind a variety of musical references, from 50s rock and roll, 60s surf rock; the Yardbirds, the Traveling Wilburys, a Tarantino-esque taste for retro groove and more.

Daniel Romano
“Mosey music” is what singer-songwriter Daniel Romano calls the classic country music that has influenced him and which he plays. While influences like Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard are apparent in Romano's music, they certainly don't demystify his talent. The Globe & Mail called his 2011 Polaris Prize Long Listed album, Sleep Beneath The Willow, a "dreamy homage to a bygone country-music era." 2013’s Come Cry With Me furthers his Mosey aesthetic, where, amidst tales of woebegone orphans, family knots and broken hearts, there are spoken word yarns that recall Hank Williams-as-Luke The Drifter. Romano's deep rumbling baritone vocal dips serve, conversely, to lighten the mood, leaving no doubt that this artist knows how to deliver a punch line.

Jory Nash
Jory Nash is an award-winning singer-songwriter and storyteller who blends elements of folk, jazz, blues, pop and soul into an original stew of sound. He has recorded seven critically-acclaimed albums; 2013’s Little Pilgrim was nominated for a 2013 Canadian Folk Music Award; 2009’s New Blue Day was named Penguin Eggs Magazine Critic’s Choice Album of the Year and was nominated for Best Producer at the Canadian Folk Music Awards; and Nash won the Ontario Council of Folk Festivals’ Songs From The Heart Award. Nash is also a sought-after songwriting instructor, who will be part of the Royal Conservatory of Music’s songwriting-immersion program SongStudio’s faculty, as well as the featured songwriting instructor at 2015 Haliburton Folk Society’s March Folk Music Camp. Off the stage, Nash is a past Artistic Director of the Shelter Valley Folk Festival, and is the co-founder of an annual large scale, multi-artist concert celebrating the music of Gordon Lightfoot.

Scarlett Jane
When Andrea Ramolo and Cindy Doire met at a Toronto music club, they each had respectable solo careers and couldn’t have imagined that over a decade later they would unite to become one of Canada’s hardest working and most anticipated new duos. Scarlett Jane embodies both a spirit of the blues that can only come from roughing it on the road and a sense of grandeur that can only come by way of having big dreams. Their 2012 debut, Stranger, captures all that is sensual and soulful about Scarlett Jane, and garnered two Canadian Folk Music nominations. In 2013, Metro called them one of “7 Canadian Indie Acts You Need to Know.” They’ve shared stages with the likes of the Skydiggers, Alan Doyle, the Strumbellas and Lee Harvey Osmond and had the honour of joining Adam Cohen’s band with the Montreal Symphony Orchestra in 2013.

Jacob Moon
Singer and award-winning pop and folk songwriter Jacob Moon, who employs live-looping in his performances, has received accolades from Rush, Queen, Gordon Lightfoot and Ron Sexsmith for his unique and compelling live show, and his ability to inhabit a cover song as if it was his own.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_dGG_4qzC4
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:23 PM   #2
Borderstone

Default Re: SUNDOWN @ 40 - June 29-Harbourfront-Toronto

Nice article Charlene.

It's also been 40 years since I first heard the song on WCCK out of Erie when
I was 5 or 6. (Depends on if i heard it before my birthday on June 13th or after.)

The week of June 22nd - 28th ,1974 was when the song hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 and actually,the week of my birthday that year,it hit #1 on The Adult Contemporary chart,which for me is good enough.

I wish more people knew about this timeless album,as well as Gordon;s other great albums as well. Have a good one guys,I got a date for my 46th tomorrow! Woooooooh,B!
Old 06-26-2014, 04:42 PM   #3
charlene

and as I thought - Gordon WILL be there!
Old 06-27-2014, 03:41 PM   #4
charlene

a rare thing indeed - 40 years ago in 1974 - SUNDOWN as # 1 SINGLE and #1 ALBUM !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cashbox-#1 LP and single-1974-SUNDOWN.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	7111  
Old 06-27-2014, 04:16 PM   #5
charlene

my CHUM charts
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Scan0015.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	546.7 KB
ID:	7112   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan0011.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	542.9 KB
ID:	7113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan0013.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	541.1 KB
ID:	7114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan0012.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	490.4 KB
ID:	7115   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan0010.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	480.7 KB
ID:	7116  

Name:	Scan0014.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	491.2 KB
ID:	7117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan0008.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	489.0 KB
ID:	7120   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan0009.jpg
Size:	528.2 KB
ID:	7121  
Old 06-30-2014, 09:31 AM   #6
charlene

Well wasn't that something!! What a night!!!..I'll have more report with pics and video but omigawd it was beyond incredible. Gordon was there and he was fabulous...
Old 06-30-2014, 10:45 AM   #7
charlene

SUNDOWN @ 40 – Harbourfront- TORONTO-June 29, 2014
40 years ago the album SUNDOWN was #1 on the BILLBOARD charts, not only that but the SINGLE was also #1 !! – This momentous event was relayed to Gordon while he was on tour and just about to perform in Dublin, Ireland.

Many musicians from Toronto and surrounding areas like Hamilton came together for a celebration of this iconic Lightfoot album. Tom Wilson (whom I saw open for Burton Cummings last year) arranged a stellar group of these folks. Most of them were known to me from seeing them at Hugh’s Room Lightfoot celebrations that are held every January. We were in for quite the evening.

My daughter who enjoys coming with me to see Gordon and I headed out mid afternoon and took the GO train as usual, into Toronto. We walked down to the waterfront and made our way to the WestJet open air theatre to see what was happening. The beautiful 3 masted sailboat, Kajama was loading new passengers for a tour of the harbour and Toronto Islands, the ferries were taking people to the islands and all manner of floating vessels were enjoying a beautiful summer day. Bi-planes, helicopters and passengers props were taking off and landing at the Billy Bishop Island airport. The too many to count condo towers were sparkling in the sunshine and the whole area was busy with Torontonians and tourists alike. The JAYS were at the Skydome playing Chicago, the last World PRIDE event was taking place with huge crowds enjoying the parade, street festivals in many neighbourhoods were going on, there was a JAZZ festival as well so the city was vibrating with energy.

The venue has a seating capacity under a roof for 1300 people and a huge stage that affords the performers a view of the lake and islands. Soundcheck was just wrapping up and we caught a bit of Ron Sexsmith whom I adore. He in turn adores Gordon and made a special trip back home to TO leaving LA where he is recording his new album. It was about 3 hours until showtime and weather reports were not good for later in the early evening.
We passed the time walking around and checking out the other smaller stages dotted throughout the area, the vendors in their stalls selling hand crafted jewellery and clothing, others with food and drinks. Watching the boats on the lake and planes overhead while being able to just turn around and see the magnificent skyline of Toronto and CN Tower is always fascinating. The venue was filling up and we had decided on a spot in the second row, not quite dead centre on long rubber coated metal benches with backs. A stage manager came down and put up some RESERVED notices on a few spots beside me and in the row behind us. Interesting…who could possibly be sitting there? Lol

While walking around I had the luck to run into and get a lovely hug from one of ‘my boys’, Jory Nash who is a co-founder of the Hugh’s Room Lightfoot celebration shows! He and Aengus Finnan, the other co-producer have introduced me to so many incredible artists in the last 11+ years who are all Lightfoot fans. He filled me in a bit on how the evening would play out so I was even more excited to get the concert going!
The sky was filling with some very ominous clouds and the wind was picking up as you looked west towards Hamilton and over the lake…we were most certainly in for a bit of a weather event…when it would hit was the only unknown.

Around 8:10 pm I noticed Gordon with the woman who had put the RESERVED notices on the bench and they were heading towards where I was sitting. She was explaining that there were seats for any guests he might have. He was looking around and it was clear that a lot of people had no idea for a few moments that this small, slight man was Gordon Lightfoot! It seemed he had come on his own as there wasn’t anyone I recognized anywhere near him! A few of us started clapping which then had everyone notice him and give him a standing ovation, he acknowledged everyone with a few waves and a gracious bow and turned to come towards me ..He was about 10 feet from me when he noticed me, he then smiled, gave me a ‘thumbs up’ and headed over! Everyone was still applauding and cheering and he kept walking direct to me, reached out his arms and embraced me in a big hug! Oh my goodness!! While the applause was still going on he said in my ear that he was ‘going back’…I said, ‘going back? Where are you going?’ He said ‘I’m going back to tune my guitar but I’ll be back.’ This was in just a few seconds but we were still hugging and over my shoulder he spotted Lisa and took her hand and pulled her into the embrace..lol. We let go and he turned to face everyone, gave a little bow and headed backstage to tune his guitar! ..Oh lordy, did that just happen?

Well there wasn’t much time to revel in that moment because just a few minutes later around 8:20 the rains came down and the wind was so strong that it was coming all the way into the venue, under the roof and all the way up to the front row and onto the stage where all of the musicians equipment was sitting, ready to use. The stage crew came out with massive tarps and weights to cover them while 1300+ people were putting up umbrellas and covering themselves with jackets and anything they could in an effort to stay dry. Well that was not going to happen! It was a deluge for 20 minutes with people just staying where they were and dealing with it. It reminded me of the massive storm we sat through in Orillia/Mariposa a few years ago except for that event we were in an open field between two lakes and there was a thunder and lightning storm to add to the torrential rain. The storm headed east and left behind a beautiful double rainbow out on the lake over the islands..it was gorgeous! And it too got a great round of applause.lol The crew came out and got the stage ready for the show to begin about 25 minutes late. As with Lightfoot concerts there are contracts with the venues and a time frame is part of it-going past the time means fines and overtime pay for any union members who are working the gig. This is why Lightfoot doesn’t go past his standard time frame at his concerts. At both Burton Cummings shows as he came to the end of the concert he stated that he had already told the venue that he would pay the fines and overtime pay because he was certainly going to continue past the time frame and he kept singing for at least another 25-30 minutes.

Well now that we knew the show would go on and everyone was getting settled in their spots on the benches the host of the venue came out to thank us for staying throughout the rain and showing our Canadian spirit to honour our iconic Canadian Gordon Lightfoot on our CANADA DAY weekend at Harbourfront which is also celebrating 40 years. She handed over concert hosting duties to Tom Wilson. He spoke of how hearing the album SUNDOWN changed his life, becoming a musician with several bands and introducing his own son to Lightfoot music and who would be performing with his own band!

The celebration began! The whole SUNDOWN album would be performed in proper song order and a few musicians would be singing Lightfoot tunes from other albums. Tom did a tune of his own and then talked about the song he was about to do. He has covered it on one of his albums and then launched into a very high energy rendition of Oh Linda! Wow. WOW again! Things would move on quickly due to the loss of 20-25 minutes but the energy level never flagged.

I tried to capture all of at least some of each performer on video. Not many photos but I’m sure many will show up online and I will post, with credits asap. If any of you find any just add them to this thread. Videos are loading and more of the report will follow….
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2142.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	496.6 KB
ID:	7132  
Old 06-30-2014, 11:45 AM   #8
charlene

JORY NASH pics: TRIO pic-Jacob Moon, Jory Nash and Ron Sexsmith.. Gordon owning the stage.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gord-harbourfront-june 29-2014.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	7133   Click image for larger version

Name:	jacobmoon-jorynash-ron sexsmith-Jorypic6-29-2014.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	7134  
Old 06-30-2014, 01:34 PM   #9
niffer

Sounds amazing! I'm glad Lisa was able to go with you...can't wait for the rest of the report
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:51 PM   #10
charlene

J.Lorraine-Tom Wilson TWITTER pics: Lightfoot, Andrea Ramolo, Tom Wilson. Ron Sexsmith.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	j.lorraine pic-GL-RonSexsmith.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	7164   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic-j.lorraine-ronsexsmith.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	7165  
Old 06-30-2014, 03:32 PM   #11
jj

glad Lisa could make it… it was dry out this way… it's odd seeing Gord sing with others on stage …hey, the crowd likely heard that Gord was getting married again, and the applause was for you guys, lol…. i'm thinking that rocking group of alt folk / acid folk people, really rocked Seven Island Suite, The List, Sundown and gave a nice twist to some of the others… CBC2 going to air it?
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:41 PM   #12
charlene

Were you there James?
Gordon and I DID discuss 'marriage' after the concert..
Old 06-30-2014, 04:41 PM   #13
charlene

For the most part the concert was LIGHTFOOT tunes and those are what I kept track of.
Harlan Pepper – Steel Rail Blues
Scarlett Jane – Protocol
Aaron Goldstein – The Way I Feel
Tom Wilson – Oh Linda
Presentation intro
Presentation of album plaque to Gordon Lightfoot
Gordon Lightfoot chats about SUNDOWN
Gordon Lightfoot – Restless
Gordon Lightfoot – If You Could Read My Mind
Wayne Petti – Somewhere U.S.A.
Tom Wilson – High and Dry
Jacob Moon – Seven Island – (partial video)
Scarlett Jane – Circle of Steel
Tara Lightfoot (no relation) – Is There Anyone Home (no video)
Jory Nash – The Watchman’s Gone
Daniel Romano – Sundown
Tom Wilson – Carefree Highway
Harlan Pepper – The List
Ron Sexsmith – Too Late For Prayin’
ENSEMBLE with Gordon Lightfoot – Summer Side of Life
Old 06-30-2014, 04:50 PM   #14
charlene

pics:some good, some not so good.lol
Gordon re-signed Lisa's FALLON T-shirt that Jenney sent her..lol
VIDEOS are STILL loading.
more report to come.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2106.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	7166   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2107.jpg
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	7167   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2108.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	7168   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2109.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	7169   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2111.jpg
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	7170  

Name:	IMG_2112.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	7171   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2113.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	7172   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2114.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	7173   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2115.jpg
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	7174   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2116.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	7175  

Name:	IMG_2117.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	7176   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2118.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	7177   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2119.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	7178   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2120.jpg
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	7179   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2121.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	7180  

Name:	IMG_2122.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	7181   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2123.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	7182   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2124.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	7183   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2130.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	7184   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2134.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	7185  

Name:	IMG_2135.jpg
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	7186   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2136.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	7187   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2158.jpg
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	7188   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2159.jpg
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	7189   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2161.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	7190  

Name:	IMG_2163 - Copy.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	7191   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2165 - Copy.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	7192   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2171.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	7193   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2173.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	7194   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2184.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	7195  

Old 06-30-2014, 08:18 PM   #15
jj

oh no, i wasnt there, char… i don't have that stamina!

great pic of Lisa and Gord (in front of Rob Ford's Escalade? lol) and the one of you and Gord looks cool also!

thanks for great song summary… I picked Ron Sexsmith for the finale, but went 0 for with the rest… will be cool to hear what the back up band treatment was

remember when Jory and the guys would do SSOL harmony finales? cool, char!
Old 06-30-2014, 08:24 PM   #16
charlene

Lisa is fired as my photog..lol I wondered if you had snuck into town..who'd you get the setlist from?
Old 06-30-2014, 08:28 PM   #17
charlene

After a few songs Gordon was presented with a gold record of SUNDOWN in a frame with plaque commemorating the 40th anniversary of his SUNDOWN album of 1974. He so, so proudly held it in front of him, showing all of us this treasure and he walked to the front of the stage just beaming. He really seemed genuinely thrilled and pleased. He proceeded to plug in his guitar and spend a few moments reminiscing about when he got the news while out on tour that his SUNDOWN album and the SUNDOWN single had gone to #1 on the Billboard chart in June 1974 40 years earlier. (VIDEO) He, as Jory had told me sang Restless and If You Could Read My Mind. No one else was doing IYCRMM so he did..lol

The crowd was very vocal and gave him some huge ovations which he gracefully and gratefully accepted as he left the stage…but then he made his way along the back of the stage and stood in the shows beside the drummer while Scarlett Jane and Tara Lightfoot were performing.. He swayed, closed his eyes, smiled and was completely taken with the music and when the songs were done he applauded vigourously.. I’d love to know what he was thinking. He seemed very content. ( no video of Tara-I thought I was recording but I wasn’t-  )

Everyone onstage was superbly talented and covered their choices of Lightfoot tunes with respect and professionalism. Ron Sexsmith flew home on the redeye from L.A. the night before where he’s been recording his new album. It was also terrific to see a band of 21 year old musicians pay such respect to the songs they chose.

After all had sung their tunes the ensemble came back onstage, along with Gordon and sang Summer Side of Life…and to the thrill of everyone, even those onstage, he took a verse of his own gorgeous composition! Oh my word it was amazing. He struggled a bit but it was beyond unbelievable. He was having the time of his life up there and he let it show and we all appreciated his participation. Wow.
After a prolonged standing ovation and some bows and waves he left the stage and the show was over!

Tony, (TG) who posts here was spotted and we along with his friend made our way around to the side of the stage to check out what was going on. We spied Ron, Jacob and Jory getting a picture taken-I’ve posted it previously. We spent a little more time talking with Jory and telling him his next tune for the Hugh’s shows in January should be Watchman. I really enjoyed his version. Ron Sexsmith came out shortly after Jory left. I said hi to him and after a second look he stopped and said, ‘Oh Hi! You’re the Gordfan!”..lol.. I told him that I was also a “RonFan” and that his cover of Too Late For Prayin’ was beautiful and as usual he was very humble when expressing his thanks. He’s such a lovely, quiet, gentle man. I wished him safe travels back to LA and that I’d be looking for the new CD when it comes out.

A few minutes later Gordon made his way out, carrying his guitar and looking around. There were only 2 or 3 other people there but he walked over to me and was just beaming..I laughed and said, “you never came back to sit with me like you said you would!”..He said, he was so busy backstage with the musicians and tuning his guitar he couldn’t get back..I did see him at the side of the seating area but it was so crowded and the benches were so close together he’d never be able to get through unless he climbed over everyone.

Then he said ‘well have to do another interview, get that arranged soon.” We had our arms around each other’s waists while Lisa was snapping a pic and I said, ‘that sounds great, you can interview me this time!”. He laughed and said, “okay, I’ll interview you!” He seemed so relaxed and comfortable, there wasn’t a room full of people and a manager hustling things along and he didn’t seem in any hurry to get in the car where the driver was standing with the door open. So we kept talking.lol..

He then told me he had planned on doing Restless and I’ll Tag Along as his two tunes but found out that no one was doing If You Could Read My mind like usually happens at the Hugh’s shows, so he did it instead of ITA. I was humbled that he told me. It was very sweet indeed. He said he had "too many songs!" I told him there's no such thing as too many Lightfoot songs! good grief! I asked him if he was getting married and he said, ‘not ‘if’ but ‘where!' I hope all works out soon for him. He did say with a laugh when I asked after Kim that ‘she’s not too young for me!” I said with a big laugh, “I know she’s not but then I guess I am too old for you at 58!” He burst out laughing. Lol It was such fun to see him so free of being “Gordon Lightfoot” in a way I’d never seen or experienced except for a few times on the phone. I said we could do our phone chat in a few weeks on my 59th birthday. I reminded him that he called me on my birthday a few years ago and he asked when it was and I told him. He said, we’re out on that date but we’ll get it together!”

Lisa stepped in to get her picture taken and he said to her, you’ve got to be careful!’ because I’d told him earlier she had fallen a few days earlier and had a bit of a black eye. She pointed out that she was wearing her FALLON t-shirt (thank you Jenney!) and turned around to show him the previous autographs from him, Barry, Michael, Carter and Rick. So he whipped out his SHARPIE and signed it again..lolol

When I was taking a picture of Tony with Gordon he wanted to see if the picture came out and came over to me to look because the flash didn’t go off, saying “Charlene!” oh oh – he’s using my full name-I must be in trouble. lol He said to Lisa with a laugh, “she took a picture of our feet!” I did not! Lol. He ended up giving his approval of the photo. He signed a couple of autographs for some folks, snapped a couple of pictures and got in the car to leave. Just before that I asked him how he enjoyed Katie. He said, quite enthusiastically, "She got married last weekend!".. I said I heard that and she had married a younger man! He said sounding shocked, "She did?" I told him that her husband is about 7 or 8 years younger and that marrying a younger person wasn't just something men did..lol..He laffed and then turned to get in the car..

A quick ‘bye’ and the driver shut the door, got in and off they went with the skyline of Toronto twinkling in front of them on what had turned into a beautiful Canada Day weekend night with The Man.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:04 AM   #18
jj

thanks for all the effort in bringing this to us… i'm sure being there was a whole different vibe… i hope these interpretations sparked some interest from the crowd in buying each artist's cd or downloads.. Gord looks happy …what a dreary Canada Day forecast… not even a breeze to move this dead air!
Old 07-01-2014, 10:15 AM   #19
charlene

There was a tent set up with CD's for sale as Tom Wilson mentioned and it was busy after the show..
Vids should be ready any moment now.. they are what they are...
Old 07-01-2014, 11:40 AM   #20
charlene

26 VIDEOS of the day-Harbourfront, and evening concert:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...goD1LYuJgWUFBF
Old 07-01-2014, 11:54 AM   #21
charlene

Old 07-01-2014, 11:55 AM   #22