banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-31-2007, 12:04 PM   #26
Jesse Joe

Beautiful CHar, I can honestly hear myself in some of what you just typed...
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 03:11 PM   #27
Borderstone

First off,today March 31st. Here's to Gordon's 40th anniversary of playing @ Massey Hall,that
I mentioned a few weeks back .

In not as much of a rush now,
Charlene you did what I wish was possible for me the last two times I met him. If he had not had to rest up after the concert,I would have loved having a conversation as great as that one.

I'm glad to hear,as others have stated that he is truly happy & satisfied with his life.

When he talks of relationships that didn't work out,I know from my own experience that,even though a lot of men wouldn't let on,we all feel that deeply hurt inside.
It goes for anyone,naturally,but when a man "loves" and that love comes to an end,it's like someone removed your heaart & slammed it up against a wall. It also makes a guy question what kind of a man he is.

It'd be great if younger music acts could read this interview and see what it means to people,when they have a favorite artist.

I'm not saying that "all" of today's acts don't appreciate their fans.
...but given how crazy the world of fame is today,I'm sure it's tougher for them to be
as close to them.
Although there are some with an ego the size of Montana!

My overall point is that it's wonderful to receive feedback from the person you admire. In a strange way,it kind of validates your feelings and everything one has done in being their "fan".

We appreciate him greatly and it's just nice to know he appreciates all of us "Light-heads" too.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:37 PM   #28
jj

sounds like he had you at 'hello'? (or 30+ years prior!)

lol, thanks a bunch CHar & looking forward to 'next time'
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 05:45 PM   #29
charlene

Hey JJ - it's actually 37 years!
I forgot how old I am...lol

He had me at "If" back then...

and the follow up "Hello" 37 years later wasn't too bad either...

charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 04:35 AM   #30
Paul Farnham

Send a message via Yahoo to Paul Farnham

Great story Char! I got a particlar kick out of the THUDs!
Paul Farnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 04:38 AM   #31
Gord H

Well all I can say is wow... I thought I was lucky enough to speak with him for 20 minutes back in 1990 when he performed here in Brantford, but to have him call me would blow me away as well.

A wide variety of topics were covered.. great job Char

Perhaps along with a live Massey Hall CD, he might do a Massey Hall DVD, now that would be a blast.
Gord H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:09 AM   #32
Jennifer

LOL, it is so weird "hearing" Gordon talk about former White Sox player Frank Thomas. Yep Gord, he is a tough player!
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:33 AM   #33
jj

great response, char...lol
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 02:23 PM   #34
GJA

Great interview, Char. Thanks so much for sharing with us.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:45 PM   #35
Borderstone

By the way Char,did he actually greet you with "This is Gordon Lightfoot calling" ?

I ask because I read the Jack Klugman penned book "Tony & Me" and that's how Tony Randall would greet Jack everytime he called,even aftr 30+ years of knowing each other. :D
Old 04-01-2007, 03:56 PM   #36
charlene

Quote:
Originally posted by Borderstone:
By the way Char,did he actually greet you with "This is Gordon Lightfoot calling" ?

I ask because I read the Jack Klugman penned book "Tony & Me" and that's how Tony Randall would greet Jack everytime he called,even aftr 30+ years of knowing each other. :D
the first time he called i wasn't home and he left no message. lordy i'd love to have that..lol

that's what he said the first time he called and i was home to answer..."Hi Char, it's Gordon Lightfoot calling." WOW

the third call - second time i answered he said "hi Char" and I said "Hi Gordon!" and he said "oh! you know who it is?!"
The "LIGHTFOOT" name on my call display gave him away! LOL
otherwise I could have said "this is Char, who the hell is this?" lol
oh oh...then I'd have heard - "CLICK"
"hello, hello - is anybody there?"
Old 04-01-2007, 04:04 PM   #37
New 12 String Mike

Char, (or is it Shar?)

Folks from Virginia, do say things a bit different from yawl Canadians.

Thanks so much for sharing, (or charing?!) your thrills and the whole interview.

What a wonderful experience.

Thanks again.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:03 PM   #38
hkusam

Hi Char,
From out here in the hinterland, thanks so much for getting us in touch with Gord in a way that we never could do. That was a really meaningful interview and I must say you carried it off with aplomb. You went into areas that seemed to be "on the edge" but with an ease that I'm sure Gordon felt. So, while you may have fallen into the interview by accident, (only partly by accident: Gord obviously trusts you immensely) you did us all a great service and rose to and above the occasion. Thanks very much.
hkusam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:10 AM   #39
formerlylavender

Thanks for posting the whole interview, Char. I read it in three sessions - I don't get too much computer time.

I was nervous for you! You did a great job. I was surprised to hear that Gordon isn't writing anymore though. That's so funny that he brings earplugs to his son's shows...after clicking on the MySpace link, I know why.

Let us know when you descend from Cloud 9!
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:39 AM   #40
charlene

- after last nights game in New York I may just start cheering for Calgary!
lol

Saturday nights are "Hockey Night in Canada" - it's mandatory that all Canucks watch hockey or lose their citizenship..
lol
Old 04-02-2007, 09:58 AM   #41
Jesse Joe

This Saturday night in Toronto at The AIR CANADA CENTRE. Like Bob Cole would say it's gone a be a dandy...

My prediction, The Habs 3 The Leafs 2...
Old 04-02-2007, 10:31 AM   #42
Gitchigumee

Well I've been gone for a couple of days, and look at all these new posts! I haven't read all of them yet, but I've been wanting to relay something to Char.

Char, I am so thankful for your obviously thinking back to some of our discussions when coming up with what questions to ask Gordon. A couple of them that spring to mind, are who the song Inspiration Lady was written about, the subject of a Gordon Lightfoot postage stamp, the possibility of his performing in England and Australia, the state of his health/hand/picking and the status of his writing. Having been involved in many of these discussions, I almost feel like I had a small role in the interview, and I wanted to again thank you so much for bridging the distance between myself and someone I admire so much who is seemlingly untouchable and who has influenced my life in so many ways with his music.
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:20 AM   #43
charlene

I had many more questions!
When he asked if I wanted to do the interview in one of the phone calls, I remember telling him that the message board was full of fans asking all kinds of questions about songs, his life, his health etc. and the folks would be thrilled to hear some new questions/answers from him.

Some of our conversation sort of veered off in unexpected ways at times, as conversations do, but I think we were both quite comfortable with it that way. I wasn't keen on just going down a list of questions and having him rhyme off answers.

Having talked to him a couple of weeks earlier for 30 minutes helped too...it helped me at least! And he was very sweet to say he would help me along!
lolol
Hopefully I'll get another chance to ask more of the questions that pop up here...
Old 04-02-2007, 02:57 PM   #44
Borderstone

Personally,I really don't like exercise.

I know the benefits of it are good but I just don't have the drive or motivation (not to mention time) to devote to it.

I would say though that I might consider it,if Gordon can do,I guess I certainly could. It's just the thought of exerting myself for what feels like a tediuos thing.

I would like to lose this "Teletubbie" belly I have though. :D Eh-oh!
Old 04-02-2007, 05:42 PM   #45
RM

This talk about the benefits of exercise not only got me feeling lazy, but also wondering.....Does Lightfoot still smoke ?
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:24 PM   #46
charlene

yes he still smokes...
Old 04-03-2007, 08:56 AM   #47
Jesse Joe

Char got it from her interview with The Poet
Genius that he is still smoking. Too bad, but a guy with the willpower that he has, giving up booze Labour Day 1982, and has not had a drink
since. He must like smoking, because Im sure he'd be able to kick the habit.

Of course smoking is suppose to be the most difficult thing to get rid of.

Ronnie Hawkins had cancer, and he couldn't stop smoking..

Im glad I dont smoke.

Hawkins cancer by the way simply vanished. Doctors could not understand it!!!
Old 04-03-2007, 11:03 AM   #48
Minstrel Man

Thanks Char! Fabulous reading. The most stunning part of the interview for me was the moment Gordon decided to open up about Inspiration Lady. You folks know as well as I do that Gord almost NEVER talks about the meaning of his songs. I don't think he likes to reveal the personal connections, and I think, like many artists, he wants the listener to create their own meanings with the songs. So to have him start with the "scripted" answer, but then drop the real answer (without any pressure being added by Char)...Well, that was captivating, honest, and quite neat to read. I also think that his comments on isolation in songwriting and the effects it had/has on his relationships were fascinating. We love the music he creates, but there is a price to be paid to be that devoted to your craft. Hope that you can get another interview in the future Char.

MM
Minstrel Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:29 PM   #49
Dream Street Rose

Hello Sir John,

You never stop amazing me with all the knowledge you have. I love reading all your posts even if I don't always understand some. Not your fault, just my education is not as good as yours.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:02 PM   #50
RM

Speaking of barcodes....

I heard this bit of trivia the other night :

'The first item ever scanned was a pack of Juicy Fruit chewing gum'.

Does Lightfoot chew gum ?
RM is offline   Reply With Quote