banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 08-08-2004, 02:54 PM   #1
RickC

I hope this isn't too off topic: I'd like to put together a CD of songs about the Great Lakes. I have Gord's Fitzgerald, Christian Island, and Seven Island Suite. and Stan Rogers White Squall.

Any other suggestions???? hoping to keep it to folk/country acoustical based artists

BTW thanks to stationmaster for last posting; I always loved the tune but never knew Seven Island Suite was about an actuall plave on the Gt. Lakes
RickC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 05:32 PM   #2
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by RickC:
BTW thanks to stationmaster for last posting; I always loved the tune but never knew Seven Island Suite was about an actuall plave on the Gt, Lakes
Hey RickC what "posting"???????? (search here failed to find one) and on which lake???????picture Rick please find one (I tried google no luck though)

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 06:17 PM   #3
RickC

Oops ... I was talkin' bout stationmaster's posting " interesting reading " which linked to Rhino's liner's notes from Songbook.

Here's what Gord said about Seven Island Suite : "The entrance going down to Port MacNichol from the eastern extremity of Lake Huron into Georgian Bay. There are three smaller islands closer in and four magnificent islands farther out. It was a vacation spot when I used to go sailing. The boat was named Sundown, incidentally. A romantic ballad about the rigors of everyday life and getting back to nature."

I always pictured an actual spot were I spent many summer vactions on the North Channel of Lk Huron when I heard this song. Not too far off! Great song; I always loved the way he sang "fiery autumn haze"

Another idea for the Great Lakes Song play list is " Around The Bay And Back Again" by Stompin' Tom , but maybe too cheesy?? ... still looking for other ideas ...

------------------
On my second cup of coffee and I still can't face the day
Old 08-08-2004, 06:19 PM   #4
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Bob Gibson's Great Lakes Song - the only other song that names all five lakes. Here's the chorus:

"Sweet Mother Michigan, Father Superior,
Coming down from Canada and Sault St. Marie.
Blue water Huron flow down to Lake Erio-O
Off to Ontario and on out to sea."

And, um, it's definitely folk.

There's a live cut on Stops Along The Way; there may be other recordings as well. If you want me to research it, let me know. You'll like it - I know I did the first time I heard it. (It may be trad, with the arrangement by Gibson, rather than written by him - I've never been clear on that).

Remember that Gibson is one of the handful of great musicians who influenced Lightfoot. When you listen, you'll understand why.

------------------
Valerie Magee

Visit my business site at mageenet.biz, Hamilton Camp's Offical Web Site at hamiltoncamp.com , and Cathy Cowette's web site at cathycowette.com. Also visit Dr. Jack's Lightfoot page.
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 08:41 AM   #5
RickC

Thanks Valerie for the tip
That sounds like a nice song. Would love to hear it and maybe learn to play it too. I can't find it on WinMx , I guess I might have to buy the album.

Anymore ideas out there? Looks like my CD might be a short one!

Rick
Old 08-18-2004, 08:13 AM   #6
superiorsings

That GL song was written by Shel Silverstein. Thanks for naming the recording artist. I've never heard it.
I don't know any other Lake songs unless they're by local artists around that area.
Cool idea though! The Great Lakes rule!!
superiorsings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 08:23 AM   #7
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Hey, SuperiorSings, thanks for that info. Silverstein wrote a lot of songs that were performed by other great artists (including Lightfoot, and Gibson & Camp). I did a quick search and came up with tab for the song, with the credit attributing the song to Pat Dailey and Shel Silverstein. For you guitar players out there, it is here:

www.tabalorium.com/tabs/8883.html

------------------
Valerie Magee

Visit my business site at mageenet.biz, Hamilton Camp's Offical Web Site at hamiltoncamp.com , and Cathy Cowette's web site at cathycowette.com. Also visit Dr. Jack's Lightfoot page.
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 08:38 AM   #8
The Intended

Believe me, there are a ton of them by local artists. Many have performed live at the Shipwreck Museum, which is of course the main source for all things Edmund Fitzgerald. I have visited the Museum and stayed near Whitefish Point many times. Local shops, including the Museum shop, often sell tapes and CDs by Michigan artists - most of which are maritime or shipwreck-related. You can tell how many were inspired by GL's Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald; they try (and usually fail) to capture the style and impact of that song.

I don't mean that as an insult to any of these individuals... As a folk guitarist and closet songwriter, I know it's hard to create an original "maritime" song without having it unintentionally fall into the Edmund Fitzgerald groove.

I hope you will have an opportunity to hear some of our Michigan musicians perform their Great Lakes pieces someday. For those who may never have been here, Michigan can be a great travel destination. Those who appreciate Gord will particularly enjoy the Upper Peninsula and Whitefish Point. The surroundings are reminiscent of the imagery created in his songs.

Dan
"Playin' up in Michigan"

[This message has been edited by The Intended (edited August 18, 2004).]
The Intended is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 10:50 AM   #9
RickC

Hey Dan, The Intended

Talk about coincidence! I just came back from a camping trip on Manitoulin Island. I visted a gift shop and they had a CD display there. It featured Carl Behrend and his two CDs of songs about the Great Lakes. His site is http://www.greatlakeslegends.com .
You can listen to a few clips of some of his songs including a bit of his cover of Edmund Fitzgerald.

Btw I thought I was going to be smart and save $ by buying the CD from his website instead of the store. At $20 CND at the gift shop compared to $17 somethin' USD from his webpage I would've better off buying it from the store.

Rick

------------------
Old 08-23-2004, 10:02 PM   #10
gwen snyder

Rick I have not seen a mention of "Sweetwater Journey" a lakers group that is folk style music. They sell a lot of their stuff at many lighthouse groups throughout the region.
GSS
gwen snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 10:40 PM   #11
CraigC

Rick

I have nearly a whole Cd case full of Great Lakes related songs, all Folk for the most part. I would be happy to share the info with you, I will post some of the artists here soon, i just need to verify a few things first
Craig
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 04:08 AM   #12
RickC

Thanks Gwen and Craig. Sorry for taking so long in posting ... just got rid of a nasty virus that shut me down for a week or so. I'll check out the artist you mention(ed).
Rick

------------------
Old 09-01-2004, 11:08 PM   #13
CraigC

I have been busy myself, so sorry for the delay. For starters try lee murdock, I belive his web site is simply leemurdock.com, also look up dan hall at danhall.com, dan has a couple of cd's devoted to great lakes sailing. Dont remember if Stan Rogers was mention before or notbut he also has some good stuff.
Regards
Craig
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote