banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 08-19-2003, 06:34 AM   #1
Cubfan64

I have a question regarding this song. From what I can tell, it's about someone wishing a lost love the best as they move on to someone else. What I'm not certain about is the meaning about the whole "I'm not supposed to care" part.

Is he saying this because the "world" would assume that if there is a divorce or breakup, the 2 parties "aren't supposed to care," or in other words he's saying "I do care, even though in the situation, most people would assume I don't?

The other possibility I've thought is that alot of times in arguments with a loved one, one or both of them accuse the other person of not caring - is this his way of being slightly sarcastic to the person who's left?

Finally, I'm confused about the line where he says, "And when you find someone who loves you, I know you would treat me the same, just lie there, cause you're not supposed to care." I don't think I understand the meaning behind that part. Could someone provide me with some answers to that line?

Thanks!
Cubfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 09:08 AM   #2
Restless

Unfortunately, songwriters don't always write with lyrical clarity. Sometimes it seems like their only concern is getting a word to rhyme, even if the line doesn't really make any sense. I'm not saying Lightfoot is guilty of this (well, maybe he is, now and then), but the bottom line often is: "You're Not Supposed To Comprehend."
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 09:17 AM   #3
Cubfan64

Ack!! Say it ain't so!!!! I recently relocated to the east coast from the midwest, and during my drive out there I listened to GGI and GGII over and over for the first time in a few years and found myself not only humming/singing away the whole trip, but listening more closely to the words and trying to ascertain what he meant in some of his songs.

I'll be crushed to find out he simply made up some words to rhyme now and then (well not really crushed, but you know what I mean!). Someone pull me back from this dark pit of despair "Restless" has cast me into
:-P.

Thanks for the response though - in all seriousness, you may very well be correct in your assessment.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:27 AM   #4
Oma

Maybe it's about a forbidden love? Maybe the lovers have ended a secret affair and of course, they are "not supposed to care" and that is what they would show to the world, but deep inside they may always love each other and truly "care". Maybe one of the "lovers" was married and the other one wasn't, so when the free lover "finds someone who loves them", their heart really still belongs to their "forbidden love, and when engaged in the act of "lovemaking" with their "2nd choice lover" just "lying there" would mean that this person is not "completely" engaged in "the act" and it becomes only that...an act. But, they are not supposed to care and they can never say what is truely in their hearts. It was forbidden. It was not to be.

Just my interpretation and probably completely off-base, but this is what I think of when I hear this song.
Oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 03:21 PM   #5
joveski

bob dylan did a really good version of that song in 1998 a couple of times. he sang with true emotion, which is expected considering he and lightfoot were/are still good friends
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 03:45 PM   #6
Borderstone

He simply means that she can hurt him and do anything she wants because she doesn't want a relationship with him anymore but he's not "allowed" to have feelings. That's what I thought I heard anyway. Later!

------------------
Borderstone (An,"Avid Listner" of G.L.)
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 09:39 PM   #7
gwen snyder

Oma, I'm with you on this one.
gwen snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 07:49 AM   #8
Cubfan64

Oma - I like your interpretation of the "just lie there..." part! It makes alot of sense to me when I look at it that way!

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2003, 02:20 PM   #9
SilverHeels

Oma,

that's exactly how I hear it too.
SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 02:42 PM   #10
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Oma gets my vote. That's the way I intrepret it, too.

Cathy
Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 06:54 PM   #11
SomewhereupinMichigan

Gotta go with Oma on this one! Oma...you've nailed it!
SomewhereupinMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 01:14 PM   #12
SilverHeels

Oma,

take a bow!
SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 08:39 PM   #13
Sputnik

Another vote for Oma's interpretation...
Sputnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 08:41 PM   #14
Borderstone

I conceed,she's right! Hey Sputnik! Your messages are getting posted as I'm on here!
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 09:04 PM   #15
DMD3

Ahh, yes, we have a new member, Sputnik. Welcome! You should find it rather enjoyable on this site.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:43 PM   #16
violet Blue Horse

I never had any doubt what that song was about since the first time I heard it. There are relationships that end, but the love doesn't. There is a man in my life who I still love dearly though I never want to see him again. Still, if he called and said he needed me or my help or a shoulder, no matter what society says about how break ups are supposed to work, I'd be there for him. He'll never be completely gone from my life anymore than I will from his. When I meet someone new he will still always be there in the background because he taught me so much about relationships and loving.

Unfortunately, I'll forever be comparing his kissing with every new man. Damn, he was a good kisser. And I suspect he'll wind up doing the same. Memories and love don't just go away because the relationship does or even because someone new comes along. Sighhhhhh . . . .

quote:Originally posted by Cubfan64:
I have a question regarding this song. From what I can tell, it's about someone wishing a lost love the best as they move on to someone else. What I'm not certain about is the meaning about the whole "I'm not supposed to care" part.

Is he saying this because the "world" would assume that if there is a divorce or breakup, the 2 parties "aren't supposed to care," or in other words he's saying "I do care, even though in the situation, most people would assume I don't?

The other possibility I've thought is that alot of times in arguments with a loved one, one or both of them accuse the other person of not caring - is this his way of being slightly sarcastic to the person who's left?

Finally, I'm confused about the line where he says, "And when you find someone who loves you, I know you would treat me the same, just lie there, cause you're not supposed to care." I don't think I understand the meaning behind that part. Could someone provide me with some answers to that line?

Thanks!

Old 08-23-2003, 03:10 PM   #17
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

quote:Originally posted by DMD3:
Ahh, yes, we have a new member, Sputnik. Welcome! You should find it rather enjoyable on this site.

A few of us know Sputnik from the newsgroup. He's quite clown. Always makes me laugh.

Cathy

Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 08:12 PM   #18
Rebecca

Violet,
You summed it up pretty well.
Rebecca
quote:Originally posted by violet Blue Horse:
I never had any doubt what that song was about since the first time I heard it. There are relationships that end, but the love doesn't. There is a man in my life who I still love dearly though I never want to see him again. Still, if he called and said he needed me or my help or a shoulder, no matter what society says about how break ups are supposed to work, I'd be there for him. He'll never be completely gone from my life anymore than I will from his. When I meet someone new he will still always be there in the background because he taught me so much about relationships and loving.

Unfortunately, I'll forever be comparing his kissing with every new man. Damn, he was a good kisser. And I suspect he'll wind up doing the same. Memories and love don't just go away because the relationship does or even because someone new comes along. Sighhhhhh . . . .

Rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 09:42 AM   #19
Oma

quote:Originally posted by SilverHeels:
Oma,

take a bow!

Ok..I'm taking my bow! , AND, welcome to Sputnik! Hi!

Oma is offline   Reply With Quote