banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-20-2020, 02:53 PM   #1
charlene

Default CANADA DAY - virtual performances- GORDON!!

Just got this from Anne at Gordon's office:

Gordon will be performing for Canada Day Toronto. (Wednesday July 1, 2020) Live streaming on youtube. Really hoping this is not geoblocked and people everywhere can watch.
Hearing a rumour that one of the 2 songs will be your favourite!
(My faves btw are IYCRMM and he knows I also love "I'll Tag Along")

In April I suggested to Gordon that when Kim gets back he could perhaps have her record him doing a couple of tunes like IYCRMM and ITA that I could post for the Net People/Lightheads online..this is just as good..lol..I hope people stay away from him and wear masks wherever he does his part from!!I will pass along more info regarding time and link to the Youtube channel...

Canada Day in Toronto is going virtual in 2o20 with a star-studded program in celebration of the country's 153rd birthday on July 1. Expect big things but it won't be the usual fireworks gathering at Nathan Phillips Square.

The city just announced that it's helping Toronto celebrate digitally this year with an all-day program that includes music, dance, comedy and virtual fireworks.

Canada Day 2020 will see over 50 artists perform, including Haviah Mighty, Gordon Lightfoot, Jully Black, Kardinal Offishall, Choir! Choir! Choir!, Ali Hassan, Cris Derksen, The Next Generation Leahy and more.

An emphasis on Toronto culture is part of the event as well, with some performances happening both live and pre-recorded from venues around the city like the newly renovated El Mocombo.

The CN Tower will put on a 15-minute light show that will be streamed live from its website.

Spread out over three segments throughout the day, the Culture Jam portion in the afternoon will include jam sessions from different Toronto artists and highlight neighbourhoods across the city.

Downloadable Celebration Kits are also available for free and include Canada-themed crafts, games, recipes, outdoor activities and more.

Due to the pandemic, city-hosted events have been cancelled and large-scale gatherings are prohibited.

In the meantime, Mayor John Tory is encouraging residents to decorate their porches, front doors, balconies or windows for this year's Canada Day.

The Canada Day 2020 livestream program kicks off Wednesday, July 1 at 9 a.m. on YouTube.

https://www.cp24.com/news/toronto-to...show-1.4992039

https://www.blogto.com/radar/2020/06...works-toronto/
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:15 PM   #2
DellroyGM

Default Re: CANADA DAY - virtual performances- GORDON!!

Very cool! I shall try to watch.
DellroyGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:39 PM   #3
Off Yonge Street

Thanks, Char, for sharing the great news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
I hope people stay away from him and wear masks wherever he does his part from!!I will pass along more info regarding time and link to the Youtube channel...
The City of Toronto's website (https://www.toronto.ca/explore-enjoy...or-prime-time/) indicates that Gordon will be performing his music from his home and that his performance will take place as part of the evening show from 7 to 8 p.m. Eastern Time on Wednesday, July 1, 2020.

Here is a link to the bios of Gordon Lightfoot and the other performers on the City of Toronto's website:

https://www.toronto.ca/explore-enjoy...sts-performers

Gordon Lightfoot
World-renowned Canadian folk legend Gordon Lightfoot was a genre-defining figure in the folk-pop scene of the 1960s and 1970s. His classic songs, like “Sundown,” “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald” and “If You Could Read My Mind” are indelible on the Canadian music landscape. Lightfoot was awarded the Governor General’s Performing Arts Award – Canada’s highest honour in the performing arts – in 1997, and he was named a Companion of the Order of Canada in 2003. His songs have been recorded by the likes of Elvis Presley, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Barbra Streisand, Eric Clapton and The Tragically Hip.

Last edited by Off Yonge Street; 06-24-2020 at 08:48 PM.
Off Yonge Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:35 PM   #4
charlene

FULL SHOW - @ 28 minute mark - ITA - and at 35 minute mark IYCRMM -
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:51 PM   #5
Melissa

That surely did make my day.....month.....year........

Great to see Gord doing a "House Concert."

Loved it.

Melissa
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:44 PM   #6
Auburn Annie

Well that was wonderful, just Gord and his guitar. I'll Tag Along is also one of my favorites. And I wish I had a front porch like that.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:48 PM   #7
T.G.

The complete performance:

T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:04 AM   #8
paskatefan

Yay! Thanks a bunch!

Gail
paskatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 04:37 PM   #9
Martyn Miles

Well, that’s made my day...

It’s 12 years since I saw Gord. in the Massey Hall.
‘I’ll Tag Along’ is one of my favourites.
Martyn Miles is offline   Reply With Quote