banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 01-29-2006, 09:49 PM   #1
crashman

Roseanne Cash has a new album that has been getting great reviews. In today's Toronto Sun the review is posted at:
http://www.torontosun.com/Entertainm...16622-sun.html

and the review of one particular song states:

Radio Operator 3:22

A Gordon Lightfoot-style guitar intro winds its way into a traditional country shuffle beat. A somewhat nondescript choice for the No. 2 song on the CD, actually.

Roseanne Cash website that has other songs on the album to listen to is:

http://www.rosannecash.com/bchome/rc...ler/index.html
crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 09:49 PM   #2
char

Roseanne Cash has a new album that has been getting great reviews. In today's Toronto Sun the review is posted at:
http://www.torontosun.com/Entertainm...16622-sun.html

and the review of one particular song states:

Radio Operator 3:22

A Gordon Lightfoot-style guitar intro winds its way into a traditional country shuffle beat. A somewhat nondescript choice for the No. 2 song on the CD, actually.

Roseanne Cash website that has other songs on the album to listen to is:

http://www.rosannecash.com/bchome/rc...ler/index.html
Old 01-30-2006, 12:35 AM   #3
mercedes

..... and what an artist she is ..... I rank her alongside Shawn Colvin .... and that's sayin' something.
mercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:21 PM   #4
Janice

Rosanne is one of my all-time favorites and definitely my favorite female singer/songwriter. I have all of her albums (except the new one, but that's just because I haven't gotten to the store since it's release) and love them all. Rules Of Travel, her previous release, is stunning. I'm looking forward to Black Cadillac - note to self: schedule a trip to Borders!
Old 02-01-2006, 04:09 PM   #5
Iron

Glad to here this about Rosanne.I have not heard from her for a while.She is one of my two girlfriends,Allison being the other.
I remember a short thing I saw on the tube some time ago,and I'm not even sure now about the country,I think it was England but don't hold me to it. Rosanne and this "chap" were in this little pub type of place,the chap was a most exceptional picker and vocalist.Rosanne was playin acoustic also..They just blended together like pea's in a pod...Anyone else catch this??
Old 02-02-2006, 04:32 PM   #6
Janice

Brian, I didn't see the bit you are referring to, but if it was after 1992 or so, the "chap" was probably her current husband John Leventhall. When she doesn't tour with a full band (including him), he joins her as sideman. He is very well known and respected as a guitarist.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:02 PM   #7
charlene

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Musi....ap/index.html

The spirits around Rosanne Cash
Singer comes to terms with losses

Thursday, February 2, 2006; Posted: 3:58 p.m. EST (20:58 GMT)

Rosanne Cash lost her father, stepmother and mother within the space of about 12 months.
NEW YORK (AP) -- The cameras had gone, so had the crowds. Rosanne Cash had often shared morning coffee with her father in the final months of his life, so the day after he was buried, she took her Starbucks cup to his grave at sunrise to visit him alone.

The world had just lost Johnny Cash, the music legend. She lost her dad.

She also lost stepmother June Carter Cash and her mother, Vivian Liberto Distin, who died last May -- on Rosanne's 50th birthday -- less than a month after being diagnosed with lung cancer.

Always an introspective songwriter as familiar with shadows as light, Cash poured her emotions into music. Her album "Black Cadillac," which went on sale January 24, looks starkly at life and death and her place in one of music's most famous families.

"It's not a tribute record," she told The Associated Press. "I don't want people to think it is. It's an exploration of loss and memory and ancestry and what survives death, but it's my inner perspective."

Her family's celebrity made grief a public as well as private experience. Cash received wonderfully touching letters, and some hurtful ones, too. She'd turn on the television to see a nice tribute, then change the channel to hear people who didn't know what they were talking about speak authoritatively about her dad.

"People would come up to me in Starbucks and talk about their grief in losing Johnny Cash and start crying, when I was in mourning myself," said Cash, who lives in New York. "That was intrusive."

Writing about the experience was both compulsion and therapy.

"I lost sleep over these songs," she said. "I couldn't think about anything else. Some songs were so consuming that I couldn't function in my life until they were done."

The disc's two centerpieces explore the idea of life beyond the body. On "I Was Watching You," Cash sings from both the perspective of a soon-to-be soul watching her parents get married, and also as her dad following his passing. "Long after life," she sings. "There is love."

Foreboding
Cash is also comforted in "The World Unseen" by the belief that her father lives on, particularly in the memories of those he left behind. She promises to "look for you in the rhythm of my bloodstream."

Christmas Eve church services inspired her at a key moment in writing the song. Listening to the Christmas carol "We Three Kings," she scribbled words on her program, and incorporated the phrase "westward leading, still proceeding" to describe the passage into the world unseen. Cash gives the song a muted, intimate reading -- at least partly because she recorded it in one take at midnight after flying to Los Angeles for her first session with producer Bill Bottrell.

The title cut, with imagery of a casket driven away in a black Cadillac, is spooky because it was written six weeks before June Carter Cash began the parade of funerals.

"I'm not the first person to notice that creative efforts happen in a nonlinear way," Cash said.

Given her father's illness, it wasn't surprising these thoughts were on her mind. When she was through writing, the song filled her with a sense of foreboding.

The burbling music is inspired by the Doors crossed with early U2, with surrealistic trumpets quoting her father's "Ring of Fire."

Moviegoers have seen a depiction of Rosanne in "Walk the Line," mostly as a scared little girl watching her father's drug abuse and splintering marriage to her mother. Unlike Cash's sister, Kathy, who complained the film portrayed her mother as a shrew, Rosanne said it was an accurate portrait of a woman simply fighting to save her family.

Although she later made peace with her father's behavior, her song "Burn Down This Town" shows some scars. During his infrequent visits home, her father liked to set fires on their property; one got so wild their house almost ignited.

"My dad was always gone and we felt so isolated," she said. "I thought, don't stop at the hillside, just burn the whole town down. Burn my childhood while you're at it."

It's not her angriest song, though. Told she had a month to write something else after her mother died, Cash responded with "Like Fugitives," which lashes out most directly at religion.

Cash remains bitter at how her mother, a Catholic, was shunned by her church for many years after her divorce. And many supposedly religious people sent Cash angry mail after she spoke out against the Iraq war. Your God-fearing daddy would be ashamed, they wrote, "not realizing that he was as opposed to it as I was," she said.

"I didn't want to believe in their God -- that punitive, vengeful, angry guy," she said. "That's not the God that I believe in and I resent people trying to project their God into my life."

She's proud of the work. The album was half-produced by Bottrell and half by her husband, John Leventhal, but so seamlessly that most listeners won't be able to tell the difference. She figures many music fans her age -- even those who don't come from a famous family -- will relate to the emotions of losing parents.

"The paradox of it is that this is a record I want so much to share with my parents," she said, "to say, look, I wrote this with a much fuller sense of who you are in my life and what my ancestry is, and to look at you before I was born. And yet I can't share this with you.

"That's a point of real sadness for me," she said, "although part of me knows that they know."
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 09:02 PM   #8
charlene

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Musi....ap/index.html

The spirits around Rosanne Cash
Singer comes to terms with losses

Thursday, February 2, 2006; Posted: 3:58 p.m. EST (20:58 GMT)

Rosanne Cash lost her father, stepmother and mother within the space of about 12 months.
NEW YORK (AP) -- The cameras had gone, so had the crowds. Rosanne Cash had often shared morning coffee with her father in the final months of his life, so the day after he was buried, she took her Starbucks cup to his grave at sunrise to visit him alone.

The world had just lost Johnny Cash, the music legend. She lost her dad.

She also lost stepmother June Carter Cash and her mother, Vivian Liberto Distin, who died last May -- on Rosanne's 50th birthday -- less than a month after being diagnosed with lung cancer.

Always an introspective songwriter as familiar with shadows as light, Cash poured her emotions into music. Her album "Black Cadillac," which went on sale January 24, looks starkly at life and death and her place in one of music's most famous families.

"It's not a tribute record," she told The Associated Press. "I don't want people to think it is. It's an exploration of loss and memory and ancestry and what survives death, but it's my inner perspective."

Her family's celebrity made grief a public as well as private experience. Cash received wonderfully touching letters, and some hurtful ones, too. She'd turn on the television to see a nice tribute, then change the channel to hear people who didn't know what they were talking about speak authoritatively about her dad.

"People would come up to me in Starbucks and talk about their grief in losing Johnny Cash and start crying, when I was in mourning myself," said Cash, who lives in New York. "That was intrusive."

Writing about the experience was both compulsion and therapy.

"I lost sleep over these songs," she said. "I couldn't think about anything else. Some songs were so consuming that I couldn't function in my life until they were done."

The disc's two centerpieces explore the idea of life beyond the body. On "I Was Watching You," Cash sings from both the perspective of a soon-to-be soul watching her parents get married, and also as her dad following his passing. "Long after life," she sings. "There is love."

Foreboding
Cash is also comforted in "The World Unseen" by the belief that her father lives on, particularly in the memories of those he left behind. She promises to "look for you in the rhythm of my bloodstream."

Christmas Eve church services inspired her at a key moment in writing the song. Listening to the Christmas carol "We Three Kings," she scribbled words on her program, and incorporated the phrase "westward leading, still proceeding" to describe the passage into the world unseen. Cash gives the song a muted, intimate reading -- at least partly because she recorded it in one take at midnight after flying to Los Angeles for her first session with producer Bill Bottrell.

The title cut, with imagery of a casket driven away in a black Cadillac, is spooky because it was written six weeks before June Carter Cash began the parade of funerals.

"I'm not the first person to notice that creative efforts happen in a nonlinear way," Cash said.

Given her father's illness, it wasn't surprising these thoughts were on her mind. When she was through writing, the song filled her with a sense of foreboding.

The burbling music is inspired by the Doors crossed with early U2, with surrealistic trumpets quoting her father's "Ring of Fire."

Moviegoers have seen a depiction of Rosanne in "Walk the Line," mostly as a scared little girl watching her father's drug abuse and splintering marriage to her mother. Unlike Cash's sister, Kathy, who complained the film portrayed her mother as a shrew, Rosanne said it was an accurate portrait of a woman simply fighting to save her family.

Although she later made peace with her father's behavior, her song "Burn Down This Town" shows some scars. During his infrequent visits home, her father liked to set fires on their property; one got so wild their house almost ignited.

"My dad was always gone and we felt so isolated," she said. "I thought, don't stop at the hillside, just burn the whole town down. Burn my childhood while you're at it."

It's not her angriest song, though. Told she had a month to write something else after her mother died, Cash responded with "Like Fugitives," which lashes out most directly at religion.

Cash remains bitter at how her mother, a Catholic, was shunned by her church for many years after her divorce. And many supposedly religious people sent Cash angry mail after she spoke out against the Iraq war. Your God-fearing daddy would be ashamed, they wrote, "not realizing that he was as opposed to it as I was," she said.

"I didn't want to believe in their God -- that punitive, vengeful, angry guy," she said. "That's not the God that I believe in and I resent people trying to project their God into my life."

She's proud of the work. The album was half-produced by Bottrell and half by her husband, John Leventhal, but so seamlessly that most listeners won't be able to tell the difference. She figures many music fans her age -- even those who don't come from a famous family -- will relate to the emotions of losing parents.

"The paradox of it is that this is a record I want so much to share with my parents," she said, "to say, look, I wrote this with a much fuller sense of who you are in my life and what my ancestry is, and to look at you before I was born. And yet I can't share this with you.

"That's a point of real sadness for me," she said, "although part of me knows that they know."
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 09:25 PM   #9
<Eric>

I saw Roseanne give a terrific concert outdoors in Minnesota a few years back. After two opening songs, she stopped...kind of looked around. It was a smallish ampitheatre. She said "don't tell my manager"..and kicked off her platform shoes and played the rest of the show barefoot. Most excellent! Great musician.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:25 PM   #10
<Eric>

I saw Roseanne give a terrific concert outdoors in Minnesota a few years back. After two opening songs, she stopped...kind of looked around. It was a smallish ampitheatre. She said "don't tell my manager"..and kicked off her platform shoes and played the rest of the show barefoot. Most excellent! Great musician.