banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-24-2007, 05:01 PM   #26
joveski

Default Re: Was Gordon your very first choice as "All Time Fave" ?

with Poco, do all their songs sound like Rose of cimarron?. if so, i might be the 2nd biggest fan. only heard that one but i love it
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:37 PM   #27
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveski View Post
with Poco, do all their songs sound like Rose of cimarron?. if so, i might be the 2nd biggest fan. only heard that one but i love it
Very much in that vein - tell you what I'll compile a CD for you and you can see for yourself.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:47 AM   #28
joveski

thanks!
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:33 AM   #29
Dream Street Rose

Well, I had to hang out in Borderstone's closet last night looking through his LP collection before I could answer this one.

The Doors, Cream, John Denver, Neil Diamond, Jefferson Airplane, Eddie Rabbit and of course my all time fave has always been and always will be Gordon Lightfoot.

Okay Borderstone, this is a very good topic.

DSR
Old 10-27-2007, 06:17 PM   #30
Kathy in Michigan

I forgot to mention the great Elton John and Van Morrison. Two more of my all time favorites.
Kathy in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:02 PM   #31
Borderstone

I forgot to mention The Archies (thank you re-runs) & The Short Circus on "The Electric Company"!

I really did think they were real groups! lol!
Old 10-30-2007, 09:17 PM   #32
Doug

Send a message via AIM to Doug

When you think about it, the question can not be answered. How can you truly know if someone is you ALL TIME fave unless you have lived your whole life.

So I guess I just predetermined the Lightfoot would be my all time fave.

I've also enjoyed Cat Stephens, early James Taylor, Alan Jackson, EmmyLou, The Association, Boston, CSN, Charlie Pride, Dave Mason. Doc Watson.....that's enough for now.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:18 PM   #33
podunklander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderstone View Post
I forgot to mention The Archies (thank you re-runs) & The Short Circus on "The Electric Company"!

I really did think they were real groups! lol!
No sah!! They were REAL!!! hehe and so were Josie & The Pusscats!!! And so were the Monkees!!! hehe

In regards to the latter, while having my hair done today...my hairdresser told me that Peter Tork is a customer and had been in just days before. A fellow Red Sox fan , he graduated from the same high school as my son and was the commencement speaker at my son's graduation. Got to meet and chat with him-photos too. I've been trying to catch his band, Shoe Suede Blues but haven't yet. http://www.petertork.com/

Interesting fact: Peter Tork was cast over Stephen Stills -among the many who auditioned for a role in the sitcom.

Interesting fact #2: I'll be ever grateful to Mickey Dolenz mom, who invented 'boo-boo' paint

Interesting fact #3: Jack Nicholson co-wrote and co-produced The Monkees movie, "Head" [1968], which also starred Teri Garr and included music performed by Frank Zappa.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:31 PM   #34
brink-

another, Mike Nesmith's mom invented white-out. He wrote songs for Linda Ronstadt, and is recording again.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:49 PM   #35
podunklander

Quote:
Originally Posted by brink- View Post
another, Mike Nesmith's mom invented white-out. He wrote songs for Linda Ronstadt, and is recording again.
I stand 'corrected'! I'll always be grateful to Mike Nesmith's mom for inventing boo-boo paint!

Tork's dad was a prof [economics] at the U of Connecticut (my alma mater). Funny though, at the high school graduation (held at UConn and was standing room only) -the class valedictorian introduced Tork as one of the 'fab four' hehe. My son was among the maybe 3 in his class who were familiar with The Monkees. I think the only other younger person who might know that the Monkees weren't the fab four would be Borderstone

ah I'll have to check out the songs Nesmith wrote for Ronstadt.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:11 AM   #36
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
When you think about it, the question can not be answered. How can you truly know if someone is you ALL TIME fave unless you have lived your whole life.
I think you make a good point. I'm not sure if it requires a whole lifetime, but I do believe it requires a lot of time. To make a poor analogy, imagine artists as hitchhikers. You pick up a carload of them along the way, and then slowly drop them off at various points. You peer in the rear view mirror and who remains ? That would be Lightfoot for me.

Last edited by RM; 10-31-2007 at 12:15 AM.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:50 AM   #37
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

or instead of them getting out of the car - they all move in with you ! Even after they've moved out you're still finding stuff they left behind. nice analogy Ron - I could go on and on but work beckons, LOL

Bill

and re: The Monkees, Pleasant Valley Sunday is one of the best songs ever - check it out and play it while strolling your neighborhood this Sunday !

Last edited by BILLW; 10-31-2007 at 05:52 AM.
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:45 AM   #38
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLW View Post
or instead of them getting out of the car - they all move in with you ! Even after they've moved out you're still finding stuff they left behind.
Good one. Isn't it the truth. I have boxes of that stuff, a lot of it really nice. Every once in a while I go through it and ask myself "Gee, I wonder what ever happened to (insert name here) ?........

Last edited by RM; 10-31-2007 at 09:57 AM.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 06:21 PM   #39
Borderstone

I think Peter zTork was just an out of work musician but i'll check my #1 hits book at home to be certain.

Oh! ...and don't forget...The Partridge Family were as real as real can get!! LOL!!