banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-19-2004, 02:44 PM   #1
Shelty

From Allmusic.com: Another glowing review folks!! YEAH !!

Few singer/songwriters have given as much quality material to the medium as Canadian-born troubadour Gordon Lightfoot, so it comes as no surprise that after suffering a near-fatal abdominal hemorrhage in 2002, he awoke from a coma with only one thing on his mind: making a record. He had recorded 18 demos for the upcoming Harmony sessions prior to the injury, and was preparing to take the band in to cut them proper. Nine of those tracks proved to be usable, and with his blessing, the group went to Grant Avenue Studios to begin overdubbing what would be the tenacious artist's 20th release. Lightfoot has a reputation as a staunch perfectionist -- his biggest selling album, 1975's Gord's Gold, features mostly re-recordings of past hits he was unsatisfied with -- so it's a testament to his passion that he would give up so much creative control. What's interesting is how much Harmony transcends the dark cloud that gave it life. The arrangements are among the most creative and inspired of his long career -- the Farfisa organ on Flyin' Blind is wonderfully exotic -- and while Lightfoot's vocals are often choked and distant (these were demos), they still manage to convey the emotion, wit, and steely reserve of the lyrics, allowing the listener the privilege of what feels like an intimate performance on the front porch. The first single, Inspiration Lady, is vintage Lightfoot, recalling romantic favorites like Beautiful and Song for a Winter's Night, and the meandering River of Light is the artist at his melodic best. His mastery of the love song has lost none of its effectiveness, as evidenced by the excellent title track, and his abilities to fill his songs with history (the Native American-inspired Couchiching) and humor (a live take of The No Hotel) continue to delight. By no means as inspired as the classics Summertime Dream and If You Could Read My Mind, Harmony listens like a good book, and fits snugly into the impressive Lightfoot canon. ~ James Christopher Monger, All Music Guide
Old 06-19-2004, 02:44 PM   #2
Shelty

From Allmusic.com: Another glowing review folks!! YEAH !!

Few singer/songwriters have given as much quality material to the medium as Canadian-born troubadour Gordon Lightfoot, so it comes as no surprise that after suffering a near-fatal abdominal hemorrhage in 2002, he awoke from a coma with only one thing on his mind: making a record. He had recorded 18 demos for the upcoming Harmony sessions prior to the injury, and was preparing to take the band in to cut them proper. Nine of those tracks proved to be usable, and with his blessing, the group went to Grant Avenue Studios to begin overdubbing what would be the tenacious artist's 20th release. Lightfoot has a reputation as a staunch perfectionist -- his biggest selling album, 1975's Gord's Gold, features mostly re-recordings of past hits he was unsatisfied with -- so it's a testament to his passion that he would give up so much creative control. What's interesting is how much Harmony transcends the dark cloud that gave it life. The arrangements are among the most creative and inspired of his long career -- the Farfisa organ on Flyin' Blind is wonderfully exotic -- and while Lightfoot's vocals are often choked and distant (these were demos), they still manage to convey the emotion, wit, and steely reserve of the lyrics, allowing the listener the privilege of what feels like an intimate performance on the front porch. The first single, Inspiration Lady, is vintage Lightfoot, recalling romantic favorites like Beautiful and Song for a Winter's Night, and the meandering River of Light is the artist at his melodic best. His mastery of the love song has lost none of its effectiveness, as evidenced by the excellent title track, and his abilities to fill his songs with history (the Native American-inspired Couchiching) and humor (a live take of The No Hotel) continue to delight. By no means as inspired as the classics Summertime Dream and If You Could Read My Mind, Harmony listens like a good book, and fits snugly into the impressive Lightfoot canon. ~ James Christopher Monger, All Music Guide
Old 06-19-2004, 10:00 PM   #3
Tyler

Thanks Shelty, that is a great read I hope it helps with the cd sales.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 10:00 PM   #4
brink

Thanks Shelty, that is a great read I hope it helps with the cd sales.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 07:50 PM   #5
Borderstone

I wish Rolling Stone or Bollboard would do at least "1" review like that! I've even checked bac copies from the past month & nada! Later!

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 06:40 AM   #6
P for Penelope

Boy,I had to look around for a Harmony topic!
I just bought that CD 3 weeks ago. It's pretty good,I kind of dont understand that Flying Blind song and No Hotel is really weird! The last one Sometymes I Wish,i dont really get that one either,I like the whole thing just the same.

Hi ya "B"! Long time no see but I did see that pic you put up of yourself! I never thought you'd be the kind to show off like that. You look pretty good. Or is it good but not pretty? Just playin'! Gotta go "B" and by to all.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:40 AM   #7
P for Penelope

Boy,I had to look around for a Harmony topic!
I just bought that CD 3 weeks ago. It's pretty good,I kind of dont understand that Flying Blind song and No Hotel is really weird! The last one Sometymes I Wish,i dont really get that one either,I like the whole thing just the same.

Hi ya "B"! Long time no see but I did see that pic you put up of yourself! I never thought you'd be the kind to show off like that. You look pretty good. Or is it good but not pretty? Just playin'! Gotta go "B" and by to all.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:28 PM   #8
Sidney Freedmen

Think of those songs like Flyin' Blind as not just a song, but a ballad, a story or something like that.
Sidney Freedmen is offline   Reply With Quote