banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-29-2006, 08:27 PM   #1
pianoteacher

First time poster here. Attended the concert last night and sent back a written request to Gordon at intermission through the concert manager who took it immediately and headed backstage. She was very nice about it. Anyway, he played my song, but never announced that it was a request so I will always wonder if it was on his set already or if he added it because of my request. A Song for a Winter's Night. He did announce that Pony Man was a request was someone else. Maybe I'll never know if he added it or it was already on his set. Oh and I sent back a Steeler's Terrible Towel and will always wonder if it ended up in the trash or what?
It was a quiet concert. He did very little talking and sounded thin at his highest range and really pushed his voice, gritting his teeth when singing high. He actually didn't look like he was having too much fun and I wondered how he felt - looked very drawn and gaunt to me. But he stood for the entire concert and sang about 27 songs so that was amazing!
pianoteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 08:39 PM   #2
charlene

Rochester show set list from Brian:
he didn't do SFAWN so it's possible he did it for you.!
Cotton Jenny
Carefree Highway
Sea of Tranquility
14 Karat Gold
Spanish Moss
Shadows
Beautiful
In My Fashion
Ghosts of Cape Horn
Never Too Close
A Painter Passing Through
The Watchman's Gone
Sundown
The Wreck
Alberta Bound
BREAK
Sit Down Young Stranger
Waiting For You
Clouds of Loneliness
Let It Ride
If You Could Read My Mind
Don Quixote
Minstrel of the Dawn
Baby Step Back
Canadian Railroad Trilogy
Blackberry Wine
Old Dan's Records
Early Mornin' Rain
Rainy Day People
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 09:20 PM   #3
pianoteacher

Oh my gosh, I think you are right. I just grabbed this Seven Springs setlist from another website and compared. Everying but the 2 requests and Ribbon of Darkness and Triangle were played the night before. I am a happy person.
Several more interesting notes from Seven Springs. I talked to one of the event managers who said on one hand Gordon was very demanding (not allowing the sound systems to be turned up for the folks in the back) but also undemanding (only asking for an apple and a bottled water for the green room.)
After announcing that he would be 68 in November, he did talk about how tough it is sometimes to "get up" for concerts and I think he meant physically and said that he was doing tours in segments. Like 8 concerts in 10 days, and then go home for awhile before another tour segment.

Seven Springs Concert Set
Triangle
Cotton Jenny
14 Karat Gold
Never Too Close
A Painter Passing Through
In My Fashion
Spanish Moss
Shadows
Beautiful
The Watchman's Gone
Ribbon Of Darkness
Sundown
The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald
Carefree Highway
The Pony Man
Clouds Of Loneliness
Let It Ride
If You Could Read My Mind
Don Quixote
Minstrel Of The Dawn
Waiting For You
Blackberry Wine
Canadian Railroad Trilogy
Song For A Winter's Night
Baby Step Back
Old Dan's Records
Early Morning Rain
Old 07-30-2006, 06:23 AM   #4
Jesse Joe

quote:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by pianoteacher:

It was a quiet concert. He did very little talking and sounded thin at his highest range and really pushed his voice, gritting his teeth when singing high. He actually didn't look like he was having too much fun and I wondered how he felt - looked very drawn and gaunt to me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

That kind a makes you wonder, Lightfoot not being 20 anymore, and sounding frail. Lets hope he's not pushing himself too much...Jesse.

[ July 30, 2006, 07:00: Message edited by: Jesse -Joe ]
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 02:38 PM   #5
zoneranger

I thought Gordon was excellent and in fine form.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:43 PM   #6
Jesse Joe

Great, good to hear that Zoneranger...Jesse.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:32 PM   #7
Claudia

Send a message via MSN to Claudia

Quote:
Originally posted by zoneranger:
I thought Gordon was excellent and in fine form.
I also was at Seven Springs and I have to say that I thought Gordon was just excellent and that right from the beginning!!! His voice sounded strong, even if he sometimes had to strain it a bit. It was my first concert to see him live and I was absolutely thrilled to see him in such a good form. From what I heard he never was much of a talker but it was a wonderful evening and went by much to quickly. Can't wait to see him again in Minneapolis.
Brian and Gloria also were there, maybe we can hear their opinion.
Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 06:39 PM   #8
pianoteacher

I saw Gordon at Hartwood Acres in Pgh years ago and was so sad to see him age so much, But I understand he had been very sick in 2002. (Someone at the concert said he had 6a relapse 6 months later in 2003?) He was quiet at Hartwood too, but much more interactive with the audience than at Seven Springs so I was expecting more chatter. At Hartwood, he was taking requests on stage and that opened up opportunities for exchange. Everyone just crowded at the stage and it was all very controlled. The barrier at Seven Springs put a lot of distance between him and the audience although I was in the 3rd row and saw him give a little smile when his voice gave up on one of the high notes. Like he was saying to himself, "Oh well, I gave my best but it didn't happen there." A nice moment.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:50 PM   #9
Joe Petrelle

I was at Seven Springs, I thought it was quiet but he sounded good.
Joe Petrelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:41 PM   #10
brink-

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Petrelle:
I was at Seven Springs, I thought it was quiet but he sounded good.
Welcome Joe. How about a review of the Seven Springs concert? Would love to hear what you thought of it.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:15 AM   #11
Jesse Joe

Gordon Lightfoot, has never been much of story teller on stage. Except of course, in the songs, lots of stories there. I saw him in concert in 1987, he was in full form. And only talked a few times. Too bad because he's got such a good speaking voice. Just listen to when he introduces, 'The No Hotel' on the Harmony CD.

Plus when he decides to give one of his rare interviews, my favorite was with Don Harron, in the early 80's.

As far as request, in 1990, during intermission, lots of people, wrote down request, on whatever they had with them, little cards, papers, etc...

And when the band came onto stage, for the second set, all those cards, and papers were, on the floor, in front of Gord's mike. He got down, on one knee, holding his precious Martin Guitar, and read them all very fast, and put them back down, some to the left, others to the right. Got back up and started signing.

Many of the song he sang, were probably on those request cards, but my guess is he was gone a do them anyway.

Only when he did, 'The Pony Man,' did he say," This one goes for that little girl, right there. A little girl that had approach the stage, while sitting on the floor. And as he did it, he would be constantly making gesture, towards the little admirer, as trying to make her giggle, sort of a father figure.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:29 AM   #12
Jesse Joe

Now Bob Dylan That's another story all together. He rarely says a word at all. I saw him in concert,in 2002. Not one word, not even a Thank-you.

At the beginning they introduced him, "Welcome to Halifax,NS. Ladies and gentlemen, Bob Dylan". Everything was cool and ok, only one problem, we were in Moncton, NB.

I told this before but it's for the Newbies. I seriously think, had someone thrown a hand grenade on stage, I dont think he would have moved. A very cool guy, and I like him. Hey he's Bob Dylan.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:48 AM   #13
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Gord gets a little more vocal with the later shows during a touring schedule. It's almost as if he's a little nervous when he comes off a long break. I've been to a few concerts where he actually gets playful with the audience.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:50 AM   #14
Moosedog

I was also at Seven Springs, and completely agree with Zoneranger! It was a great show, Gordon looked and sounded fantastic. I've seen him perform live countless times over the years, and I think this was one of my favorite performances. He really seemed to be enjoying himself, and as always made it very clear how much he appreciates his audience.

Vickie
Moosedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:11 AM   #15
pianoteacher

My last live concert was BB King - 80 years old, bad back and knees, diabetes and still going strong. He talked as much as he played and oh my, did he play! So it's all about personal style. Both are amazing musical legends and I hope to hear them both again!
Old 07-31-2006, 02:20 PM   #16
zoneranger

I think Gord let his music speak for him.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:44 PM   #17
Iron

Could not agree more Claudia,We thought Gordon sounded great.Great Show. Even the exotic dancer was'nt bad. First time I ever saw that at a Gord show!!
Old 07-31-2006, 04:33 PM   #18
Claudia

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron:
Could not agree more Claudia,We thought Gordon sounded great.Great Show. Even the exotic dancer was'nt bad. First time I ever saw that at a Gord show!!
Yeah, that was really funny, haha. For sure a lot better than this wannabe singer behind us - always tried to sing in harmony but unfortunately never succeeded...
Old 07-31-2006, 07:12 PM   #19
zoneranger

Quote:
... For sure a lot better than this wannabe singer behind us - always tried to sing in harmony but unfortunately never succeeded...
Hey...that was me!!

[ July 31, 2006, 20:38: Message edited by: zoneranger ]
Old 08-01-2006, 06:25 AM   #20
Moosedog

Oh yea, the exotic dancer! That was hilarious!

Vickie
Old 08-01-2006, 08:17 AM   #21
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Quote:
Originally posted by Moosedog:
Oh yea, the exotic dancer! That was hilarious!

Vickie
Was she a paid performer or a GL fan ????

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:54 AM   #22
Moosedog

She was a very intoxicated GL fan who decided to stand front and center and "dance". Funny for the short time it lasted, but I think we were all pretty happy when she sat down.

Vickie
Old 08-01-2006, 10:55 AM   #23
pianoteacher

The dancer, I saw her out of the corner of my eye. I thought she had more courage than me although I mustered a shout or two. She's much younger than me.
How many of you stayed overnight at the lodge? We did and I wonder if the band stayed there. Apparently there are no 'luxury' rooms and the walls were so thin. Maybe someone heard him signing in the shower?
Old 08-01-2006, 11:23 AM   #24
Claudia

Quote:
Originally posted by pianoteacher:
The dancer, I saw her out of the corner of my eye. I thought she had more courage than me although I mustered a shout or two. She's much younger than me.
How many of you stayed overnight at the lodge? We did and I wonder if the band stayed there. Apparently there are no 'luxury' rooms and the walls were so thin. Maybe someone heard him signing in the shower?
The Band did stay at the hotel. My friends and I met them in the "Bavarian Lounge" pretty late that night. We talked briefly to them, they were really really nice guys. Gordon although was not there - probably already slept to stay fit for the tight tour schedule.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:52 PM   #25
Iron

She asked me to join Her,and albeit I had a few Rolling Rocks under my belt,20 RR's could'nt get me up for that!!! She was just having a good time,did'nt really bother anyone.What the heck!!!

Brian