banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-06-2014, 01:38 AM   #1
dray7austin

Default My Love For You & Gordon in Harry Tracy

This evening while eating out on s rainy Friday , I asked my wife what did she wish to do for the rest of the evening. Surprisingly, she told me that she bought a Christmas present of the dvd movie titled "Harry Tracy, The Last of the Wild Bunch starring Bruce Dern and Gordon Lightfoot. And she was wondering if I wanted to wait until Christmas to open it or go home tonight and watch it? Well, I guess that's like asking a man lost in Death Valley if he would like some water and an air conditioned room. I couldnt wait to get home. I really wasn't expecting to see the greatest of westerns which I'm a huge fan of. But even more, I wasn't under the impression that I was going to see Gord actually act. I mean, Gordon act? I was going to love him either way, but I was sure there may be a few embarrassing moments also. Where I would question why the legendary troubadour would even try to get in front of the camera.

Well, we watched it. And all I can say is Wow! First if all, myself being a history buff of the old west and it's last days of the 19th century I found this to be a great movie. The movie sets looked to be authentic for the time period and it didn't have that Hollywood flash to mar it any. Maybe that's because it was made in Canada as I found out in the closing credits. Secondly! Gordon was a natural. I didn't in a million years expect to walk away feeling that the man could act. But I did. And it wasn't just a small part either. It possibly was either the second or third biggest part in the film. Gordon was magnificent. In fact, the whole cast was great! But the third thing that surprised me more than anything else, is that I never thought with this flick, I would hear one of the most beautiful of songs in which I have heard Gordon sing. The song being, "My Love For You", written by Les Poulliet. What a beautiful song this is and even if the movie had turned out to be a dud, I would have been satisfied purchasing it for this great song. Now, I only have about 16 Gordon Lightfoot albums and this song isn't on any of them. I tried checking the internet and outside of a few YouTube videos, I found nothing. Was this song ever released on a Gordon Lightfoot album? Or does anyone have an idea if he ever played this in concert? I'm still in shock that the movie was great! Gordon was great in it! And the song was beautiful. I highly recommend this movie if you haven't seen it yet. My wife picked this used copy up on Amazon for a little over $5.00 plus shipping.
dray7austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 04:14 AM   #2
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles
Default Re: My Love For You & Gordon in Harry Tracy

Nice review dray (I think it's David?)

a quick Google found me
http://www.corfid.com/vbb/archive/in...p/t-13390.html
in which Sydneysider Gunther said
"
This film is from 1983 (I think), but this song is featured in the set list for a 1978 concert in Los Angeles (22nd of August 1978). Anybody knows since when Gordon had this song in his repertoire, or when he actually recorded the studio version appearing in the Harry Tracy movie ?"
see it on the setlist at
http://www.lightfoot.ca/780822.htm
I actually have a GL bootleg listing by a regular Lightfoot afficiando on Dime that includes a 1-CD version of that 22/8/78 Los Angeles concert
I must try to get a copy from him soon
And another thing before I left the UK I well remember (in 1997 probably) my late mother excitedly phoning me one Sunday afternoon after she had spotted that Gordon in the Harry Tracy movie was on BBC-TV
I recorded it in full and later made clips of the GL acting bits
It was originally recorded by me on VHS tape but the clips are on a Betamax tape.
At the moment my UK sourced PAL Betamax player has an issue that I think I can overcome because I am sure that the Version I recorded has one significant difference to the NTSC DVD version that I now have .
This is the splendid scene where Marshall Morrie Nathan comes out of the outside toilet and promptly falls into a hole dug right in front of its door.Gord clearly says "Oh Shit"which was cut from the DVD's soundtrack.
For other reasons I do need to soon get my Betamax VCR functioning again then I will try to make a digital clip of that scene

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:40 AM   #3
charlene

the tune is not on any album. he did perform it at a 1983 GENIE award show in TO which I have on video..He sat on a stool with a piano and orchestra behind him and sang it.. I think he did a commendable job as an actor in this movie...and we got that gorgeous tune...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41yWFpZrTZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	7408   Click image for larger version

Name:	61SXR-2DO6L._SL500_SY300_.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	7409   Click image for larger version

Name:	266caead4bce1cfd82414fe886fc60e8_1_jpg_290x478_upscale_q90.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	7410   Click image for larger version

Name:	10864.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	7411   Click image for larger version

Name:	212910-movie.jpg-movie-resized200.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	7412  

Click image for larger version

Name:	bathtub[1].jpg
Views:	554
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	7413   Click image for larger version

Name:	harry_tracy_DVD[1].jpg
Views:	506
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	7414  
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:27 PM   #4
Dave, Melbourne,Australia

I remember seeing an excellent awards night performance of "My Love For You" (just Gord and a female pianist) on a thread in this forum. I'm sure Dray7austin would enjoy it. Can anyone provide the link?
Dave, Melbourne,Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:25 AM   #5
dray7austin

Thank you everyone for your kindness and informative responses. Yes Sir johnfowles my name is David. I have been quiet as of late on this forum although I have been reading threads throughout the summer. As some may remember that I had mentioned that I had donated a kidney last October to a friend with kidney failure. Unfortunately, he has come down with the BK Virus about two months ago.A biopsy was inconclusive because of the inflamed kidney. We would now have to wait anywhere from 1 to three months to see if the kidney would survive or not. Even if the kidney did survive, there would be damage and a shorter lifespan. Then three weeks ago his blood work showed his creatinine levels not stabilizing but raising only a little which gave us hope. But this past Monday's blood work came back yesterday and the survival of the kidney looks bleaker. So this movie last night was a slight distraction for Lori and I to somewhat take my mind off of my friend's condition. You see, I'm not worried that I now only have one kidney. What I'm worried about is he having not a working one and having to go back on dialysis. One person in my neighborhood, told me that it was a shame I wasted a kidney. But it isnt a waste. I gave him at the least, a year of freedom away from dialysis. And we still have a sliver of hope. So he could sure use all your prayers. Monday, we may know more. But prayers are welcomed. At this time Gordon's music has never before sounded so beautiful. It's probably the one thing over the past month that has kept me calm. Thank you everyone. Peace to all.
dray7austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:50 AM   #6
jj

it was more than Gord and pianist on the 1983 awards show … nice ensemble

I have posted it a few times but copyright folks are on it… you can find the audio on youtube from the film but it's quite faint

I remember fixing the VHS and hard case for $1 in a store bin, good deal!

the tune was written by Red Shea's elder brother (who recently got to hear our cover version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCAW...eUyyy4Xu2SPKYA )

Gord said didnt like what he saw on the screen and that was it for acting (except for Hotel, or did he appear anywhere else? besides his acting bit with Belushi on SNL, lol)

I wish I could hear the version he recorded in about 1970, album out take

also gone from youtube was the terrific on set interviews with Gord and other cast members … I forget who posted that but it's top 10 Gord footage, imo
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:47 AM   #7
charlene

David - I am sorry to hear about the medical issues your friend is experiencing..let us know how things go. I agree that your gift and the resulting healthy year he experienced was not a waste. There are no guarantees with donor organs. It's not out of the realm of possibility that he may receive another donor organ..I hope that may be the case..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:03 AM   #8
jj

the audio from the live awards performance was recently still online but having difficulties re-locating it … and yes, Gord has performed this live in concert too
Old 09-08-2014, 11:15 AM   #9
jj

this ripped version from the movie is poor quality transfer… I gave char a new copy of the vhs (hopefully that plastic case helped preserve the tape from oxidizing, or whatever the decay process is caused by for aged tapes, lol) and maybe she can digitize the audio … just use your capture card, char, and leave the yellow composite jack unplugged if you just want the stereo audio file from the red and white jacks … or I can do it next time I see ya https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijaB1pEONLY
Old 09-08-2014, 11:21 AM   #10
jj

here is a 6 minute interview on location of the filming http://www.cbc.ca/archives/categorie...hollywood.html

the song, written by Lawrence Pouliot's (…aka Red Shea…) elder brother, Les, was introduced the the film's director at a party when Gord began playing and singing it.

Gord had 5 prior film offers to this but turned them down …he liked this one because of Bruce Dern

Last edited by jj; 09-08-2014 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:01 PM   #11
Dave, Melbourne,Australia

Bruce Dern was in the 2013 black-and-white movie "Nebraska", whose cast included Bob Odenkirk (from "Breaking Bad" and "Better Call Saul") and the wonderful June Squibb.

Dave, Melbourne,Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:41 AM   #12
jj

yeah, now on netflix