banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

Default Scary Ghost Video

Very scary video. The very last clip with the child in the mirror is enough to make your eyes water.
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 03:34 AM   #2
Nightingale

Default Re: Scary Ghost Video

Okay, I am being really stupid

It's three in the morning and I can't sleep. The house is dark and silent...and I decide to watch this???!!!

What an idiot I am...lol
Now I am scared enough that I don't want to go to the bathroom because of the mirror.

UMMM...Deal, thanks for posting the interesting video...lol
into the broad ocean..."

G. Lightfoot "Tattoo"
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:35 AM   #3
Yuri

SU&DIL
I've seen this clip before and find some elements of it interesting. As in most of these investigations, you have to take the word of the presenter that nothing is intentionally altered or faked. In the segments were doors or cabinets move, I would have liked to have seen the 'locked off' cameras focused on the entire door leaving no edge out of the frame.

A fascinating subject where one must be very skeptical yet keep an open mind. I've personally spent an evening in a supposed haunted house with a tape recorder, ouija board and camera loaded with infra-red film. Some strange things did happen but not enough to make me a firm believer.
Bugs! - http://thunderhouse4-yuri.blogspot.com/
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:40 AM   #4
Nightingale

Hi Yuri,

That's fascinating that you stayed in a haunted house and had all the equipment needed to test whatever might happen. If you are ever inclined to tell us more about it, I would love to hear it

Have you ever read any of Colin Wilson's books on the paranormal?
Great author on these subjects...very informative and interesting.
into the broad ocean..."

G. Lightfoot "Tattoo"
Old 07-15-2008, 02:07 PM   #5
Yuri

Hi Nightingale,

Not much of a story to tell (but long anyways). I’ve always tried to keep an open mind about the paranormal, however, with my background in science, I need a lot of verifiable, reproducible and unbiased proof before accepting anything as fact.

Knowing my curiosity about such matters, I was invited to stay the night in an old house off of Sulphur Springs Road in Dundas Ontario, which had some notable history. Built around the late 1700’s, the house was used to hide some soldiers (story varied, as whether they were American or British) during The War of 1812. The house had a bricked in tunnel in the basement, which at one time served as an alternate exit/escape route.

The residents had noticed a few odd events over the years but, as is usually the case, “things that go bump in the night” increased after renovations were completed. Most of the events might be explained away by the age of the creaky house, however one could not be dismissed so easily. One evening, while climbing the stairs to the second floor, one resident heard a baby crying in one of the rooms. Curious, as my friends had no infants in the family. As she approached the closed door she heard the shuffling of feet and a gentle female voice ‘shusshing’ the crying child. On opening the door, the room was vacant and all residents accounted for. Others in the family had also heard the infant on occasion. Hmmmmm….

As an impoverished high school student, I didn’t have much equipment to bring. Just a Ouija Board, 35mm Camera with regular higher speed film, infra-red film and a tape recorder I used when ‘roading’ for some local rock bands. These days I would add an EMF (Electro-Magnetic Force) reader and perhaps some night vision/low Lux cameras.

Ouija Board – hard to control & verify. I don’t put much trust in these as the participants can easily manipulate them consciously or unconsciously. Still we repeatedly kept getting a sequence of 6 letters (GUDTUY) that to this day mean nothing to the homeowners or me. Forwards, backwards, anagrams, historical surnames, military, city archives, etc, etc. Nothing, except that they kept repeating in that order. The Ouija board did correctly identify one date associated with the house which I later verified in the city hall archives. Those sitting with the Quija insist they had no knowledge of this rather vague date, but again, hardly proof.

Camera – no apparitions or anomalies in either the regular film or the infra-red spectrum. However, one curiosity occurred after we had all gathered in the kitchen for a coffee break. I placed my camera on a countertop and gathered with the rest in the center of the kitchen, some 10 feet away. After about 10 minutes the camera’s flash discharged with no one nearby. No photo, just flash. Yes, we all jumped! The flash unit had never discharged on it’s own before, nor did it ever do so again in all the time I owned the unit.

Tape Recorder -Finally, I used a 7” reel to reel (Roberts 770X) to record the night’s proceedings as well as letting it run on its own in various rooms. New tape - right out of the box. Next day while listening to hours of ‘tape hiss’, what do I hear? A baby crying in the background. Lasted for less than a minute yet very distinctive. That EVP (Electronic Voice Phenomenon) has me puzzled to this day.

A sequence of letters, an un-triggered flash, and an EVP of a crying baby. Interesting but proves nothing. Still a nice evening spent with friends in a friendly old house…

Just down the same road there is a local landmark which is supposedly haunted and has garnered some notoriety over the years. Called ‘The Hermitage’ you can check it out here; http://www.hauntedhamilton.com/local_hermitage.html

And, with that….

I don't want to own the key
To some ghostly mansion where souls are set free
I don't remember where she said she would go
Straight for the highway or down the low road
I don't remember where she said she would be
Back in the city or on the high seas

Sleep well,
Yuri
Old 07-15-2008, 09:13 PM   #6
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

Oh no Yuri. I hope you don't mess with ouijaboards now. Although I may be sounding superstitious, I've heard of some bad stuff happening with those things. While I wouldn't mind taking a tour or spending a night in a supposedly haunted house, I would definitely stay away from ouija boards! :o

Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:26 AM   #7
Yuri

SU&DIL, Yes, Thanks, I've heard all the cautionary advice before. It's my belief that this piece of printed cardboard with a plastic planchette has no special power to draw in malevolent spirits. I just don't believe some demon is hovering around thinking, "I'd sure like to possess that guy - too bad he didn't bring along his cardboard ouja board". If you believe that something so powerful and evil can possess your soul, lack of a Milton-Bradley/Hasbro & Co. game board won't stifle it's attempt.
Anyways, I thank you for your concern, but my ghost hunting days are long gone.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:18 AM   #8
Nightingale

Hi Yuri,
Thanks for posting your experience at the haunted house. It's really a very fascinating subject, isn't it...

I think the electronic voice phenomenon is really a viable thought. It makes sense to me that electrical energy could be manipulated for spirits to use for communication.
Don't they also do work with televisions, computers and radios? I remember reading something about all this stuff way back when....also, telephone calls from people that have passed on.

I love reading about the paranormal but I am not sure that I would want to experience it first hand.
I have had a few very personal experiences with family members and friends that have passed on but I think most people have those types of things happen.
into the broad ocean..."

G. Lightfoot "Tattoo"
Old 07-20-2008, 03:27 AM   #9
Nightingale

We have a Spiritualist church here in Indiana...Camp Chesterfield. It's very old now, but in it's prime, it was one of the country's finest spiritual resorts for people to visit and somtimes stay for weeks at a time, for readings and seances..all that sort of stuff. It's a fascinating place with some very strong energy.

They have churches on the grounds as well as meditation centers and buildings for classes and hotels. I have stayed there and it's quite interesting.

I have had a couple of readings that I KNEW were real and that the mediums were in contact with family members and friends. I have also had just as many, if not more, silly, fake, and even boring readings and seances that were presented as truth by the very same people. Doesn't make sense...
into the broad ocean..."

G. Lightfoot "Tattoo"
Old 07-20-2008, 03:33 AM   #10
Nightingale

I think that sometimes, the powers that be will let you have enough of an experience that you believe it to be true, but not enough of an experience to say for certain that it's the truth....does that make any sense?

Anyway, it's a very great place to go if you like that sort of thing. They have classes all summer long and some of the mediums there are quite good and interesting to talk to.
Others are a little out there for my taste...lol. I try very hard not to throw the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak.

Sleep well? Thanks, I'll try

Hope all is well for you
into the broad ocean..."

G. Lightfoot "Tattoo"