banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 11-09-2007, 09:50 PM   #1
catrinka

Default Pidgin Setup for GL Chat

For those who would like to try Pidgin, here are some instructions for setting it up for the Lightfoot Chat. Sample dialog boxes are at the bottom of this message, if you need clarification. (Please be advised that I do not use Windows, so your dialog boxes may not look like mine!)

1. Download Pidgin at: http://www.pidgin.im/download/

The size of the installation file is approximately 10.8MB, so anyone on dial-up should be aware that it may take some time to download. It is available for Windows, as source code, for Fedora (a Linux distribution) or for CentOS or RedHat Enterprise Linux as of this writing.

2. Install the program. (If you need instructions for installation, please see the FAQ on the site.)

3. After installation, on the top menu, select "Accounts", then "Add/Edit."

4. Select the "+ADD" button.

Under the Basic tab, you will see Login Options.

a. Next to "Protocol", use the drop-down menu to select the account type: IRC
b. Enter your screen name
c. Enter the Server address: irc.dilexnet.net
d. Enter your password (it will show up as dots/asterisks)
e. Enter your local alias (name to show up on the chat)
f. Select "Remember password" if you do not want to have to enter it every time you login
g. Select the "Save" option.

Under the Advanced tab, you will see IRC Options and Proxy Options

IRC Options

a. Check the Port. It should be "6667"
b. Encodings should probably be left alone, as they are usually system dependent
c. Enter your user name
d. Enter your real name
e. You will probably not select "Use SSL", as it may block you from getting into the chat room

Proxy Options

This is usually set by Pidgin using the default for your operating system, so you probably won't want to change this. If you run into difficulty, try another setting.

f. Select the "Save" option

This will set up the account. Now...it's time to

Add the chat

On the top menu, select "Tools", then "Room List".

a. Select the account from the drop-down list: Yourloginname@irc.dilexnet.net (Yourname) (IRC)
b. Select the "Get List" option. This will bring up a list of the available chats on the server.
c. Select the Lightfoot Chat: #gordonlightfootchat
d. Enter your password, alias and group (this will place the chat on the Buddy Menu where you want for quick access)
e. Select the "+ADD" option. The Lightfoot Chat will be added to your Buddy List.

To join in a chat:

option #1: highlight the account and press "enter" on your keyboard
option #2: right-click on the account and select "join"

This process can be repeated for other chat rooms. To add your AIM, MSN, Yahoo! or other supported account, the process is similar.

If you find that it works for you with this basic setup, you may want to explore the "Plugins" and "Preferences" under the "Tools" option on the top menu.

Hope this helps to get you connected!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pidgin_addacct.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	540   Click image for larger version

Name:	pidgin_addacct-adv.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	541   Click image for larger version

Name:	pidgin_addchat.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	542   Click image for larger version

Name:	pidgin_roomlist.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	543  

catrinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:22 AM   #2
Peter Bro10

Default Re: Pidgin Setup for GL Chat

Thanks Cathy, for taking the time to put this little tutorial together.
I followed it and had only little trouble getting in.
It was my first time in a chat room, of any kind.
found the subject matter.... not to my liking, to be polite about it.
Hopfully next time will chat about Lightfoot more, and social/political banter less. I was very dissappointed, but will try again when opportunity comes.

Anyone else thinking of using Cathy's tutorial, I suggest keeping this thread open while doing it so that you can easily reffer back to her instructions as needed. (That may be obvious, but I found it very helpful.)

Many thanks again for your help, Cathy, in this and other "technical" issues.

Peter Bro10
Peter Bro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:35 AM   #3
Jesse Joe

Anyone else thinking of using Cathy's tutorial, I suggest keeping this thread open while doing it so that you can easily reffer back to her instructions as needed. (That may be obvious, but I found it very helpful.)

Many thanks again for your help, Cathy, in this and other "technical" issues.

Very true Peter, or do like I did. I printed the page, so if ever I want to get in the chat room, I will have the tutorial next to me. I did not try it yet but will give it a shot. I never seen something so well put together. Exception; John Fowles tutorials, but with Mirc, there have been times I could get in, and other times it wouldn't work.

Very well explained Cathy, Thank's for doing this.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 11:07 AM   #4
catrinka

Thank you Peter and Jesse Joe! I appreciate the feedback. If you can think of any way I can make it more clear, please let me know.

I've installed the Windows version of Pidgin, as well, and found the setup is pretty much the same. Please let me know where I can improve the instructions and I'll set up a tutorial page on my website.

It's my pleasure to be able to lend my "technical" expertise to the forum. (All that time at the keyboard has, thankfully, not gone to waste!)

catrinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 11:36 AM   #5
Yuri

Peter,
This was only my third time in any chat room and when I logged in for the first time did not know what to expect. What I’ve come to realize is that the chat room is a cross between ‘Lightfoot Discussion’ and 'Small Talk'. It is a chance to become familiar with the personalities behind the ‘signature handles’ of the Corfid group members.
As much as we all love Gord, it still would be quite difficult keeping a discussion strictly on “Lightfoot”. Topics whether about Gord, social issues, politics, or other generally go in the direction the participants allow it to. Anyone can jump in at any time and lead the discussion in a different direction.
As if we were all to meet face to face at some concert venue, I’m sure the verbal topics would be wide and varied and not always to our liking.
All in all, I’ve enjoyed my three visits to the chat room. It was a delight sharing some laughs and getting a better sense of the personalities behind the name. Hope you give it another chance.

Yuri

(Hey, how 'bout that wife of mine, eh!?)
Bugs! - http://thunderhouse4-yuri.blogspot.com/
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 12:55 PM   #6
charlene

Hey Yuri - she's a keeper!
lol
CHAT is a way to 'talk' with everyone here about all kinds of things..we do alot of yammering here about all things Gord so it's nice to learn more personal things/day to day life things with the folks who keep this board hopping. Many of us have been friends for a long time and when a new person joins chat we want them to hop right into what ever discussion is going on - it's like an on-line cocktail party!. As in real conversations the topic can change by just jumping in and starting it..and when I can stay awake long enough on a Friday night I'll try to remember that Billyboy always has a Grand Marnier waiting for me...
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote