banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-10-2006, 09:19 AM   #1
charlene

Mon, April 10, 2006

The house of Sexsmith
By BILL HARRIS, TORONTO SUN

Ron Sexsmith sure has a lot of friends.

And it seemed as if all of them -- including Gordon Lightfoot and Andy Kim -- were at a nearly sold out Massey Hall on Saturday for Sexsmith's debut at the venerable venue.

It has long been Sexsmith's dream to do a concert at Massey, but for years he resisted playing there as an opening act, because the 42-year-old wanted to be famous enough to be a headliner.

Thus, it had the feel of a private party on Saturday as virtually everyone was rooting for the critically acclaimed but commercially challenged Sexsmith.

"Welcome home," someone shouted after Sexsmith took the stage to a standing ovation. "I never left," Sexsmith replied.

Actually, the standing ovation for Sexsmith was not the first of the evening. That honour went to Lightfoot.

Referring to Massey as "The House of Gord," Sexsmith told a story before he played the Lightfoot song Drifters.

"I was awakened by Gordon Lightfoot in my bedroom the other day -- he wasn't there, he called me on the phone," Sexsmith said. "Gord told me, 'If you're going to play that song of mine, could you pick up the tempo a bit?'"

Whispered wishes among patrons that Lightfoot might perform a duet with Sexsmith went unfulfilled. But Kim joined Sexsmith for the Kim hit, How'd We Ever Get This Way?

Sexsmith clearly was nervous early in the show. But instead of soiling himself he utilized self-deprecating humour.

Backed by a stellar four-piece band, Sexsmith moved from guitar to piano and back again, with highlights including Keep It In Mind, There's A Rhythm and Gold In Them Hills. Prior to the jazzy Foolproof, Sexsmith announced, "I'm going to get all Buble on your ass," a reference to crooner Michael Buble.

Sexsmith, who has a new CD coming out next month, arguably could have cut three or four songs from his lengthy set list. And the encore was a bit of a puzzle, too.

After Secret Heart and Former Glory, Sexsmith said he just realized he hadn't played many songs from his second CD. He then performed Thinking Out Loud -- a nice enough song, but hardly "closer" material -- and was gone in a flash (it's too bad he didn't play In A Flash, which is one of his better tunes).

An aura of unfinished business notwithstanding, Sexsmith delivered on the night he had been dreaming about.

"I hope I haven't let the building down," he said.

Really, how can you not cheer for someone like that?

Counted among Sexsmith's friends was the lively Kathleen Edwards, who provided support not only as an opening act but as an enforcer. Edwards threatened fans with physical harm if they weren't a "good audience" for Sexsmith.

She needn't have worried. Friends stick together.

---

RON SEXSMITH

SATURDAY NIGHT, MASSEY HALL

Sun Rating: 4 out of 5
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:48 AM   #2
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Yes, Char, but where were you?
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:15 AM   #3
Jesse Joe

Could this Cathy Cowett be our Corfid #346. Just wondering?
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:40 AM   #4
charlene

that would be our Cathy.....talent extraordinaire!
Old 04-10-2006, 11:43 AM   #5
charlene

well Val I blew a fortune seeing Kristoffersona couple of weeks ago.....transportation to the big city, dinner for Lisa and I and tix were pretty pricey....
It would have been great to be at Massey to see Ron-he deserved a solo show there. And for Lightfoot to be there in attendance-he must have been freaked.....!
lol
On Friday I actually checked ticket availability...some were still floating around but decided against it.
I kinda thought Gord would show up at the KK show....
Old 04-10-2006, 01:51 PM   #6
Jesse Joe

Thanks Charlene for giving me the info. She looks good & ready with the guitar. Cathy if you see this letter, please let me know what kind of guitar you use. Im a fanatic of the guitar. I cant seem to make yours out. Looks like a Takamine, or maybe a Washburn am I close?
Old 04-10-2006, 01:56 PM   #7
charlene

Cathy can take a stick with a piece of string sounds good....she has twice as much talent because I have none...
Old 04-10-2006, 02:00 PM   #8
Jesse Joe

Ah Charlene,

You taught GL was gonnna be at the K.K. show, but instead he was at Sexsmith Massey Hall opening. Must have been a good one. Lightfoot maybe sees it as pasing the torch, to the younger songwriters.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:02 PM   #9
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Quote:
Originally posted by Jessi-Jo:
Thanks Charlene for giving me the info. She looks good & ready with the guitar. Cathy if you see this letter, please let me know what kind of guitar you use. Im a fanatic of the guitar. I cant seem to make yours out. Looks like a Takamine, or maybe a Washburn am I close?
That's an old JB Player I bought a long time ago. I think it's about 13 years old now, and one of my sons has inherited it.
I have two Martins... a D-15 and an OM28V.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:05 PM   #10
Cathy

Quote:
Originally posted by charlene:
Cathy can take a stick with a piece of string sounds good....she has twice as much talent because I have none...
You should have heard me trying to play 5 or 6 months ago. I thought my guitar playing days were over.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:52 PM   #11
charlene

Cathy - I had faith in ya....

Jessi-Jo - it's great to see Lightfoot out at the shows like he was and down to the tribute shows too. Ron Sexsmith is a HUGE Lightfoot fan so I bet he's still on cloud nine about his show and the attendance of Lightfoot.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:19 AM   #12
Jesse Joe

Yes I would imagine he's on cloud 9. I of course have the tribute CD. And I know Sexsmith is a fan , but by him doing "Drifter", kind of makes you wonder if hes in touch with the brilliance of the early Lightfoot songs?
Surely Charlene you must have the JP Cormier tribute CD? He's the only artist on that CD, incredible isn't it. Voices, instrument, he plays everything.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:47 AM   #13
Jesse Joe

Hey Charlene,
You own 2 prestigious "MARTIN GUITAR", you lucky woman you. They must sound great. I know Gords Martin sounds awesome, especialy noticed it on the Reno concert, when he begins,"Baby Step Back". And of course in the Moncton concert I attented. In the Halifax concert I was, he was at that time still using a 6 string, which was probably hand crafted for him. He used that guitar quite a bit on TV specials and all.There's a good picture of GL with it, on the back of the album Gord's Gold Vol 2. Do you know anything about that guitar like who built it for him? I heard some years ago on TV that a Charlottetown Luthier built one for him. Dont know how true this is. I myself have owned since I started playing when I was 13 years of age, about 22 guitars. Today I own only one, sold most of them and traded a few, as the years went by. Only a hobby for me, cant sing a note.Although there was a time when I taught I could sing exactly like Gordon Lightfoot,"IN MY DREAMS" LOL. There are some that I sold that I wish I didn't. The best one I ever owned was a "Epiphone Hummingbird". Get me started yapping on guitars and it's hard to stop. But I will stop.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:37 AM   #14
charlene

I don't any guitars. Can't play to save my life. I am the master of 'air guitar' however. LOL
There are many many folks here who are the real talents on guitars and can talk to you about them. I generally know this....they are usually wood, and they can have either 6 or 12 strings. And when Lightfoot plays one it is magic. That's it. Lesson over!
lol
OH - and I don't sing either...don't ask me...

I bought the JP cd from the man himself - I think it was the day it was released- maybe the next - he was at the Lightfoot Trib.Show in Toronto at Hugh's Room! lol
He just rec'd and ECMAward for it too! And well deserved I might add.
char
Old 04-11-2006, 09:00 AM   #15
SilverHeels

Charlene owns two Martins?!?!?!?!
Heeeeeeel-looooooooo!
LOLOL
Old 04-11-2006, 09:13 AM   #16
charlene

oh man - it's NOT that UN-believeable!
oh - okay - yes it is....well.... i could OWN them...just not play them.....
I have a car but I don't drive....
lol
Old 04-11-2006, 03:45 PM   #17
Jesse Joe

Sorry the letter about the 2 Martin guitars were meant for Cathy, as Im sure you figured it out .

So CATHY READ THE LETTER IF YOU PLEASE, AND RESPOND BACK TO ME Jessi-Jo, IF YOU WANT .

THANKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
Old 04-11-2006, 04:26 PM   #18
Cathy

Hmmmm... all Charlene owns are a couple of air guitars... but she plays them very well!

Gord plays 2 B-45 12 strings, one tuned to dropped D, and he used to play an old D18, but he bought a new on last year

I can't even begin to count how many guitars I've had over the years. I started playing sometime before age 8. I remember sitting on Mom's lap when I was 4 or 5. She played a dobro, and she used to put her hands over mine, showing me where to move the slide, and helping me with the strumming. By age 8, I had graduated to a 3/4 mahogany Silvertone and could pretty much keep up to my uncles. I wish I still had that guitar. If I had known then what I know now, I could have turned it into something playable.

You say you thought could sing exactly like Gordon. I'm a bit confused by that remark, because I assumed you're a woman. Am I wrong?
Old 04-11-2006, 07:38 PM   #19
Jesse Joe

Is Jessi-Jo from the song "Flyin Blind" a woman? I hope not, Im definetly not a woman. At least the last time I looked. Tell me it isn't so Cathy.

2 B-45 12 string eh. They sound great, I know the guitars well except that they were B-45. I had the chance once of buying one for $1,250, it was a 1962 if Im not mistaken, it was all scratch pretty good but when I saw it,I taught of GL right away.

Im going to go right now listen to Flyin Blind, and follow the words carefully.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:28 PM   #20
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Um, I think you'll want to change your Corfid handle. Jessi-Jo is definitely a woman.
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:07 PM   #21
Iron

Thanks Val,
I thought Jessi was a gal also...
Old 04-12-2006, 06:26 AM   #22
Cathy

Jessi Jo is definitely a woman. I don't know if she's real, or just a product of Gord's imagination. Read these lyrics and tell me they aren't about a woman.

Jessi-Jo said you had better not stray, all we have are promises
Jessi-Jo said you had better stay home, from the ice cap far away
Oh Jessi-Jo where did you go, polar bear on my right
Jessi-Jo I need you now, flyin' blind tonight
Oh Jessi-Jo where did you go, do you feel all right
Jessi-Jo I need you now
I need you here tonight, flyin' blind tonight

I'm glad we all know your a man! I had pictured you as a 30ish woman!

But you should think about changing your name to something a little more masculin! Boss Man would be cool. Hey You is kind of cute, too. Miguel... Mr. Rock of Ages... Ordinary Man...Pony Man (that might be taken, though)... Rainbow Trout... Red Velvet... Ringneck Loon... Same Old Loverman... Shellfish... Someone To Believe In... Uncle Toad... any of those would work. There are more, but I think they're already used.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:27 AM   #23
Cathy

Or, if worse comes to worse, you could just use your real name.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:29 AM   #24
charlene

Jessi-Jo could be a male friend up north where the ice floes are or a guy he travelled with - a guide perhaps on canoe trips....
there isn't a 'she' or 'her' reference in the song...it's always Jessi-Jo.....
at first listen/read it seems like a woman he's talking about, a woman giving him advice, a woman he's needing because he's flyin blind....

BUT the male bonds/friendships on wildnerness adventures and shared experiences that were good and bad, perhaps dangerous, may have him thinking of his buddy, perhaps no longer around, Jessie-Jo...and the warnings he had....

just a thought....
Old 04-12-2006, 06:33 AM   #25
Jesse Joe

That's too bad, I really liked that named, thanx Vlmagee, I beleive this is the first time we chat. Have been on your Website quite a few times. Really great site. When I bought this, my first computer in Nov,2005, your site was one of the first I saw. Because as soon has everything was pluged in and ready to go. It was "Lightfoot" first, and I landed on your site. Anyway thanks for the info, the only name I like right now would be "Don Quixote", If it is not already taken.