banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2004, 10:37 PM   #1
MWalker

Which of these 2 great albums does everyone like more, A Painter, or Harmony? It was a very close tie, but I'll have to give it to A Painter. Why not Harmony? All the darn love songs!:0 When you've played love songs day in and day out, you get tired of them and wish for songs not love-related. Did anyone notice how there are no love songs on A Painter? (except for REd Velvet, but it's not a LOVE love song)
MWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 10:37 PM   #2
Zonno

Which of these 2 great albums does everyone like more, A Painter, or Harmony? It was a very close tie, but I'll have to give it to A Painter. Why not Harmony? All the darn love songs!:0 When you've played love songs day in and day out, you get tired of them and wish for songs not love-related. Did anyone notice how there are no love songs on A Painter? (except for REd Velvet, but it's not a LOVE love song)
Zonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 11:05 PM   #3
LSH

My Little Love on a Painter Passing Through.

love both those albums...I can't choose. although, PPT is more upbeat and I like that
LSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 02:04 AM   #4
joveski

i'll take Painter but they're both great albums.

painter reminds me of a special time in my life so maybe thats why i like it more
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 04:03 AM   #5
djb

I'll have to give the nod to Harmony. Painter is an excellent and fun album, and the title cut is the best track, but it's the only one that really hits me emotionally.

Harmony is reflective noodling at Gord's best, and each song is vague enough to be interpreted personally. Most of the tracks on this album touch me on the inside, and River Of Light and Shellfish just blow me away.

So Harmony it is, but Painter is a worthy contender.
Old 09-18-2004, 04:03 AM   #6
djb

I'll have to give the nod to Harmony. Painter is an excellent and fun album, and the title cut is the best track, but it's the only one that really hits me emotionally.

Harmony is reflective noodling at Gord's best, and each song is vague enough to be interpreted personally. Most of the tracks on this album touch me on the inside, and River Of Light and Shellfish just blow me away.

So Harmony it is, but Painter is a worthy contender.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:30 AM   #7
TheWatchman

I don't think I could choose one over the other because both hold much significance to me. Painter is a great album. "Much To My Surprise" I would consider a love song. "Drifters", "Much To My Surprise" and "On Yonge Street" are great, great songs. Painter was released when I was at the top of the world and it brings me back to some of the best times in my life.

Harmony was released during one of the most distasterous times of my life and I can really relate to a lot of what he is singing about. The songs "Harmony", "End Of All Time" and "Sometimes I Wish" will be forever etched into my brain. No way I could ever pick one album over the other. Both are very different and written under much different influences.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 11:38 AM   #8
LSH

exactly Watchman. I never choose this way, one over the other. I love it all too much, and each has a different but equally special place.
LSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 03:19 PM   #9
stationmaster

Asking me to choose a Lightfoot album is like asking Oprah to give away a car on her show. "Everyone gets one!"
stationmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 05:43 PM   #10
Borderstone

Harmony.
I don't feel like going into details. later!

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote