banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-25-2008, 05:47 PM   #26
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy
Default Re: Singing "Gordon Lightfoot" songs !

I thought it looked and sounded like a Martin. I have two of them... an infamous D-15 (that Terry Clements played a few months before I fell off a float and cracked it up during a parade, but luckily it's fixed), and an OM28V that I paid for when the town of Mars Hill gave me $1260 to repair the D-15. The D-15 is a special guitar. I've been told that it's the best sounding D-15 in exsistence.

You'd probably like the OM28V. It has a wide fingerboard mounted on a vintage style neck. It's great for fingerpicking. I didn't like it at first, but after messing around with the saddle and nut, it's a great guitar.

Cathy
Old 06-25-2008, 06:18 PM   #27
DawnsMinstrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy View Post
I thought it looked and sounded like a Martin. I have two of them... an infamous D-15 (that Terry Clements played a few months before I fell off a float and cracked it up during a parade, but luckily it's fixed), and an OM28V that I paid for when the town of Mars Hill gave me $1260 to repair the D-15. The D-15 is a special guitar. I've been told that it's the best sounding D-15 in exsistence.

You'd probably like the OM28V. It has a wide fingerboard mounted on a vintage style neck. It's great for fingerpicking. I didn't like it at first, but after messing around with the saddle and nut, it's a great guitar.

Cathy
Wow, that must have been awful to crack up your D-15 like that!

I was looking at the OM line a while back. I haven't had a chance to actually try one. I've tried other fingerstyle guitars like Breedlove and Brouwer (not sure on the spelling of that one), but I can't afford one right now. I keep saying to myself that I'll play out somewhere and earn what I need to feed my guitar habit but I never get around to it. Not enough hours in the day.

I'm also interested in the contemporary instrumental fingerstylists. I used to play a lot of Alex DeGrassi. I may post one of those some time if I can get a good enough sound.

Say I've been to your website but my mac doesn't like the format of the tunes you have linked to it. Do you have any YouTube vid's yourself? I'd like to hear your stuff. You play a lot of the same artists that I do!
DawnsMinstrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:28 PM   #28
RM

DawnsMinstrel,

Do you have any Lightfoot concert experiences to share ?
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:46 PM   #29
DawnsMinstrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
DawnsMinstrel,

Hi RM,

well, I've seen him twice, "but that was so long ago...." Once when I was maybe 13 or 14 and once again when I was 19. (I'm now 46) The first was memorable for how my sister and I ruined the experience by bickering with each other through much of the concert. I feel bad about that to this day. We were stupid teenagers. We get along just fine now. The second time was the one time I summoned the courage to ask the girl of my dreams out on a date. It may seem strange that a 19 year old would be having trouble asking for dates, but I was pathologically shy as young man. She said yes and we had a fine time. But just couldn't believe she really liked me, so that was that. She doesn't know it, but many of the songs I sang on my front porch, "A Minor Ballad," "Go My Way," and many others were sung for her. Sigh....
Old 06-25-2008, 11:46 PM   #30
DawnsMinstrel

Sorry about this double post. I'm still learning how to do this forum thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
DawnsMinstrel,

Hi RM,

well, I've seen him twice, "but that was so long ago...." Once when I was maybe 13 or 14 and once again when I was 19. (I'm now 46) The first was memorable for how my sister and I ruined the experience by bickering with each other through much of the concert. I feel bad about that to this day. We were stupid teenagers. We get along just fine now. The second time was the one time I summoned the courage to ask the girl of my dreams out on a date. It may seem strange that a 19 year old would be having trouble asking for dates, but I was pathologically shy as young man. She said yes and we had a fine time. But just couldn't believe she really liked me, so that was that. She doesn't know it, but many of the songs I sang on my front porch, "A Minor Ballad," "Go My Way," and many others were sung for her. Sigh....

Last edited by DawnsMinstrel; 06-25-2008 at 11:50 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:20 AM   #31
RM

DawnsMinstrel,

Thanks for the reply. Unruly teenagers...egads ! You definitely got an early start. I have no idea where you reside, but do yourself a favor and try to catch him in concert sometime soon. This make not make sense...... even though the experience is not the same, it is the same, just from a different perspective.

I've really enjoyed your videos. Do you have any material of your own to present ?

About the forum : It can be tricky and always "Beware the Moderator". (That was just a joke, it's a fine group here)
Old 06-26-2008, 01:53 AM   #32
Nightingale

Hi Dawnsminstrel,
Glad you made it over to say hello.
Your videos are great and I have really enjoyed listening to them.
You are very talented and it's hard to believe that you were such a shy teenager...lol
You seem very natural and at ease when you perform.

Anyway, welcome to the board and hope you can share your music with us and post often. There are lots of nice people here and quite a few talented musicians as well so you'll always have someone to talk guitars and music with.

Jesse Joe, thanks for finding this talented guy for us to watch.
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:24 AM   #33
DawnsMinstrel

Nightingale,

Thanks for the kind words. As for being shy. Well, I've never been all that shy about performing music. That was my one outlet. But I was shy with people, especially when they were beautiful young women. I'm almost embarrassed to tell you where I'm living now. I'm in Rochester NY and could easily drive to Toronto, and Massey Hall, "...in about three hours time." ---Sorry about the quotes, I can't help myself they just pop into my head straight out of the songs. I could have gone for his last series of concerts there if I'd had the money. It's a long story, but I've been digging myself out of debt for a while now and I have a hard time spending money.

RM,

I think it was you who asked about original material. I do have an instrumental piece that I wrote a long time ago, and I have a number of melodies for songs for which I haven't written decent lyrics. I have perfectionist tendencies and I've just never been very happy with the kind of lyrics I come up with. But, one of the reasons I decided to post to YouTube was in the hope that some listeners would start to ask for original material. I thought it might get the wheels turning. We'll see.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:59 AM   #34
jj

looking fwd to your originals...thanks for miguel, terrific...nice vox/mix also

in the mean time, requests:
your love's return
too late for praying
if children had wings
cabaret
stone cold sober
the gypsy

i would like to see that lens zoomed in a bit more on your guitar and face

this should be in the GL discussion section, many folks are missing this fine stuff
cheers
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:18 AM   #35
jj

ps) if you click on the 'FOL May2001 Part 2' video, you will see and hear Cathy right off the bat, then at about the 4:50 mark, lovely stuff

I'm also on mac (G5) and miss out when folks post wmf, ra, etc, files...gimme aifs

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=opus62
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:20 AM   #36
DawnsMinstrel

Hi jj,

wow. It looks like you're having so much fun there. At 4:50- you mean "Ribbon of Darkness?" Yup, very nice. But I like what came before too! Highway Songs is a great song! Thanks for the video and the requests. I'm especially glad you asked for The Gypsy. That's one I wanted to do anyway (I suppose in a way I want to do all of them!), but I like it when there's a request. I haven't gotten round to learning it yet, but I'll get there. If you don't mind, I'll list the gypsy and one others as your "official" requests in my request list on my channel page.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:27 AM   #37
DawnsMinstrel

Oh, I forgot: about zooming in with the camera. I'd actually like to be a bit closer to the computer when I'm playing. Makes it easier to reach the keyboard. But there are two problems. First, it's a built in camera, so I can't really direct it, and second if I move closer, I can get my face in there better, but then the guitar is out of the frame. So I guess the two choices are my face and a little bit of guitar or keeping things as they are. I can experiment to see what works. Maybe I'll try that on my next video. Here's an awkward question: What's more interesting? My face or what my fingers are doing on the guitar? Oh, and whatever I do has to pass muster with my wife too! Too bad I can't do a split screen or something.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:27 AM   #38
Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnsMinstrel View Post
Wow, that must have been awful to crack up your D-15 like that!

I was looking at the OM line a while back... [clip]

Say I've been to your website but my mac doesn't like the format of the tunes you have linked to it. Do you have any YouTube vid's yourself? I'd like to hear your stuff. You play a lot of the same artists that I do!
I played a very affordable sunburst Gretsch OM a couple of weeks ago. It was in the $300 price range, and was a great sounding, great playing guitar. I think with today's technology, spending thousands on high end guitars is a bit ridiculous, especially when you can buy one that sounds as good for 1/10th the price.

I don't have YouTube, but I have an account with MySpace with a few songs. I don't understand why you can't play clips right off my web site. Maybe they're rm format and you don't have Real Player? You can get a free version at real.com.

Cathy
Old 06-26-2008, 10:29 AM   #39
Cathy

I repaired the D-15 myself. Dave Musslewhite, who at the time was working for Martin (restoring old guitars) sent me the instructions and it worked out great.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:33 AM   #40
DawnsMinstrel

Yes, that's right. I don't have realplayer. I just haven't had a reason to download it until now, and I didn't know that rm was a realplayer format. Thanks, I'll try to get to that today. In the meantime, jj just sent me a youtube vid of you and a bunch of other people playing together. Great finger picking! It looks like you were all having a great time.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:44 AM   #41
Cathy

Oh, that was from the Massey 2001 trip. A bunch of us brought guitars and had a couple of jam sessions. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life.

Cathy
Old 06-26-2008, 10:45 AM   #42
charlene

Welcome to CORFID Tim! (i've been a lazy moderator the last few weeks since I started holiday in Sarasota) Things will be back in order when I get to Toronto on Saturday tho..
watch out for RM -- he's trouble..lol
thanks for the great videos and music..share any and all stories etc. anytime!
Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:52 AM   #43
DawnsMinstrel

Hi Char, thanks for the welcome. RM is trouble eh? Okay, I'll stay on my toes! I'm happy to share my videos too! That's why I make 'em. It's great to know that they're being watched and appreciated.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:48 PM   #44
Jesse Joe

Char & RM crack me up lol !

In the meantime I will add 2 request, {1} Seven Island Suite {2} Flyin Blind...
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:26 PM   #45
DawnsMinstrel

They shall be added forthwith! Oh, and jj, I'm keeping the max to two right now so that others can get a chance to make a request. I've added The Gypsy for you, but I'm having a little trouble deciding on your second choice. I'm partial to Your Love's Return, but I thought I'd ask. Also if you have a youtube screen name let me know and i'll list your request under that.

Thanks, Tim
Old 06-26-2008, 06:50 PM   #46
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
watch out for RM -- he's trouble..lol
What's that ? I assure you I am not trouble. (In fact, according to my ex-wife, I might be considered a terror, but not trouble). Madam moderator, I implore you to stay on topic.

Keep those videos coming.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:00 PM   #47
DawnsMinstrel

By the way RM. I just wanted to say nice songs! I really admire songwriters. I have a hard time writing songs because I never like what I wind up with, but I suppose I'm probably being too hard on myself.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:17 PM   #48
RM

Thanks for the remark. I find the greatest satisfaction in music comes from creating something new. The best approach is to just try one. There are songs I've written that I thought were rather poor, but were well-received. You never know.

Ok.....back on topic.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:29 AM   #49
Nightingale

Hi DawnsMinstrel,
Shy but only with beautiful young women...lol.
Well, most women, even beautiful, young ones, can't resist a man singing a love song and playing a guitar
I hope you have found your dream girl by now

I can't imagine not being shy about performing...it's great that you aren't but I can't imagine anything more nerve wracking.

It seems as though most of the country is digging it's way out of debt these days...sigh...
Hope you get caught up and get to go to Toronto and sing with some of the other Lightheads at Massey. It would be great for you and all of us as well.
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:23 AM   #50
DawnsMinstrel

Hi Nightingale,

well, not only with beautiful young women but they were (are?) at the top of the list. The stories I could tell you... but that would be off topic and I fear the wrath of RM. I did meet my dream girl 4 years later in 1985. I figured out that she was my dream girl in 1986, and we've been together ever since.

As for not being shy about performing; I have to admit I've puzzled about it. I do sometimes get a little jittery but it passes very quickly. It might have rubbed off on me from my Dad. He's always wandering through the house singing totally unselfconsciously at the top of his lungs, often in silly voices. I do the same thing. Sometimes I'll come out of the shower and my wife will be cracking up over what she's been hearing.

As for debt-payment vs. Massey: I have to seriously think about this one. I'll be in Rochester only one more year, after which I'll be moving who knows where It may be my last opportunity to attend. Could be worth a few extra months of credit card payments.

Topic-wise: I hope to get another video posted tonight and hopefully at least one more over the weekend. I've started working on The Gypsy too.

cheers to all!

DawnsMinstrel