banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-24-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
KHester

Default Your concert request-yet a song you couldn't make it through

Your concert request-yet a song you couldn't make it through.
Wouldn't it be wonderful to have Gordon do a special request for you?
I know we all have our favorites that Gordon doesn't at least currently do in concert.
This is going to be probably be tougher than you thought. If somehow you could have Gordon do a request what would it be.? Keep in mind that it should be a song that you absolutely love, but you have trouble getting through it without a tear welling up inside.
I have never heard "Too Late For Praying" in concert, but I don't think I could make it through with dry eyes.
Especially if Gord would call out Kevin this one is for you!!

I know there are so many of Gord's songs that touch our hearts.

Mine as of now is Too Late for Praying

I'm sure that all the additons will be truly hearttouching also.

Kevin
Old 03-24-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Your concert request-yet a song you couldn't make it through

I requested (pestered would be a better word) "Ill Tag Along" several times when speaking with him over a couple of years..he did it February 2008 in Florida thinking I was there (as I had planned to be) but a family emerg. had me cancelling the trip..and he didn't know.
Thankfully several folks were there to actually hear it!
But I still have it on my 'wish list' to hear when I am actually in attendance!! - Maybe this year at Massey? We'll see.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
mandoann

I'll go with TL4P! Even though I have so many songs I absolutely love, Prayin' has always been my all-time favourite since it came out. I actually sent a card and mentioned the song, although I've been told that it "doesn't lend itself to live performance."

Has anyone imagined going to a concert and hearing him say "and here's one for (your name) from (your town)"?

Oh well, hope springs eternal!! I also mentioned Minstrel and he did it in Austin!

- if you meet him you will be/ the victim of his minstrelsy/ he'll sing for you a song

"You could wrap me around your finger"
mandoann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
Kelly Davis

My wife and I have actually had the pleasure !!!!!!!!
It was October 15th / 16th , 1999. (sounds like the beginning of a book)
We met with Gordon after a Friday night show in Merilleville, IN. We had actually played 'Beautiful' before our wedding in 1989.

We told Gord this, after which he gave a "That's Wonderful" type of moan and proceeded to give my wife Loretta a big hug. We told Gordon we were seeing him in Elgin, IL the next night and asked if he could dedicate 'Beautiful' to us the next night. He wrote down our request with our names and put the slip of paper in his pocket.

This was the first time we had ever met Gordon - what an evening !!!!!!!

The next night in Elgin, before Gordon started 'Beautiful' he says to the audience - "This song goes out to Kelly and Loretta - for their 10 year anniversary".

Needless to say, this moment was and still is the most memorable moment for my wife and I for any GL concert - we've seen Gord 13 times as of last week. We still even have the concert review from the Elgin paper that mentions this dedication.

Good stuff !!!!!
Kelly Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:55 PM   #5
KHester

Wow!!!
That's great you have a special memory with Gordon. Somehow after being on this board and reading about all the meetings with Gordon it doesn't suprise me. Now what happens when you hear Beautiful? I think we pretty much all agree that besides being a great singer/songwriter that Gordon is a truly a nice and humble man.

Kevin
Old 03-25-2009, 03:56 PM   #6
jj

I don't recall hearing Only Love Would Know live however I got into WFY album a bit after it was released and may not have recognized it or other fresh tunes....I know he did include this one occasionally during his WFY tour

anyhow, I would imagine I would make it through the song but it his wincing delivery and some of those phrases usually have me revisiting some complicated, 'roller coaster' days and I would think hearing it live would embellish the listening experience all the more

his current voice would work the vocal quite nicely, perhaps even better than the studio version

'does the sound of laughter now ring true....'
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:42 PM   #7
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Davis View Post
My wife and I have actually had the pleasure !!!!!!!!
It was October 15th / 16th , 1999. (sounds like the beginning of a book)
We met with Gordon after a Friday night show in Merilleville, IN. We had actually played 'Beautiful' before our wedding in 1989.

We told Gord this, after which he gave a "That's Wonderful" type of moan and proceeded to give my wife Loretta a big hug. We told Gordon we were seeing him in Elgin, IL the next night and asked if he could dedicate 'Beautiful' to us the next night. He wrote down our request with our names and put the slip of paper in his pocket.

This was the first time we had ever met Gordon - what an evening !!!!!!!

The next night in Elgin, before Gordon started 'Beautiful' he says to the audience - "This song goes out to Kelly and Loretta - for their 10 year anniversary".

Needless to say, this moment was and still is the most memorable moment for my wife and I for any GL concert - we've seen Gord 13 times as of last week. We still even have the concert review from the Elgin paper that mentions this dedication.

Good stuff !!!!!

My wife and I also had "Beautiful" played at our wedding in 1981. That's definitely a moment for the ages, Kelly. Thanks for sharing it!
Old 03-25-2009, 05:42 PM   #8
Kelly Davis

In response to KHester -

every time Gord sings it(Beautiful), which to my knowledge is every show, my wife and I give each other a smile, hold hands, and give each other a quick kiss. One time we had our three kids between our seats, so we leaned over and gave each other our 'Beautiful' kiss.

Of course they were totally embarrassed, but we are old enough not to care - we thought it was hilarious that they were embarrassed.

I guess we consider 'Beautiful' "our song".
Kelly Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:54 PM   #9
Oh, Linda

This is a great thread idea!

I'm with you Kevin, "Too Late For Praying" would do me in for sure. And for some reason "A Lesson In Love" is right up there too---especially when I saw the Lightfoot Tribute Team's Vistory of that one.....blew me away.

Anyone know if they've ever been performed live before?
Oh, Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:16 AM   #10
KHester

Linda,
The Lightfoot Tribute team always did a wonderful job. I agree with you "Too Late For Praying" is so powerful on its own, then when you add the great video to it the impact it has grows.
Maybe Gordon in his wisdom knows the impact some of his songs have on us. He doesn't do these in concert as he want to spare the cleanup crew a bunch of wet tissuses.

Kevin
Old 03-26-2009, 12:55 PM   #11
Oh, Linda

The one and only time I met Gordon, after one of last September's Michigan concerts, I had a handful of q's lined up to ask him, one of which was whether or not he is aware of the concert-goers sniffles and tissues from the stage as he sings. He HAS to be. We talked for a little while, I asked a few questions, he volunteered a photo op (to my delight) and I decided not to overstay my welcome. I never did ask THAT question. But I still want to know the answer Maybe this year......

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHester View Post
Linda,
Maybe Gordon in his wisdom knows the impact some of his songs have on us. He doesn't do these in concert as he want to spare the cleanup crew a bunch of wet tissuses.

Kevin
Oh, Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:50 PM   #12
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHester View Post
Your concert request-yet a song you couldn't make it through.
Wouldn't it be wonderful to have Gordon do a special request for you?
I know we all have our favorites that Gordon doesn't at least currently do in concert.
This is going to be probably be tougher than you thought. If somehow you could have Gordon do a request what would it be.? Keep in mind that it should be a song that you absolutely love, but you have trouble getting through it without a tear welling up inside.
I have never heard "Too Late For Praying" in concert, but I don't think I could make it through with dry eyes.
Especially if Gord would call out Kevin this one is for you!!

I know there are so many of Gord's songs that touch our hearts.

Mine as of now is Too Late for Praying

I'm sure that all the additons will be truly hearttouching also.

Kevin
Great song.

Some songs that I would would find it tough to make it through would be "Stay Loose", "Sometimes I Wish", and "A Painter Passing Through".
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:08 AM   #13
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh, Linda View Post
"Too Late For Praying" would do me in for sure. And for some reason "A Lesson In Love" is right up there too

Anyone know if they've ever been performed live before?

sure, at Massey (during his EOM tour) in 1987 he squeezed in Lesson in Love between East of Midnight and Morning Glory
http://www.lightfoot.ca/870314.htm

and during the Sundown tour in 1974 he would play Too Late for Praying
http://www.lightfoot.ca/740325.htm
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:16 AM   #14
Gitchigumee

"Leaves of Grass" is my current sniffler. How entirely appropriate it is for our times. I think it would be a perfect graveside song for a fallen soldier. It is simply beautiful...

"If people could look into each other's eyes
what a wonderful world this place would be.
All strife would end, we could start again,
but the leaves of grass will not pass on..."
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote