banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 09-26-2005, 12:14 PM   #1
Travis

I read somewhere once that Bob Dylan (remember the special is on tonight!) said something to the effect of how whenever he hears a Gordon Lightfoot song, he wishes it would never end. I'm looking for the exact quote and a source for this. Anyone know?
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 02:05 PM   #2
<Next Saturday>

The quote is found in the booklet for Dylan's "Biograph" album.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:37 PM   #3
Travis

Oh yeah, that's where it came from. My dad has that cd collection, but I'm certain he's lost the booklet by now. Do you happen to have the exact quote?
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 03:13 PM   #4
Borderstone

Speaking of Dylan,if it's on the sam night where all of you are,don't forget to watch PBS Wed. night and Thurs. (!) I know I will!
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 04:17 PM   #5
Auburn Annie

Here in Central New York it's on tonight and tomorrow (Monday/Tuesday) at 9pm. Check local listings for the American Masters program in your area.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 11:21 PM   #6
mnmouse

I was dismayed this afternoon when I mentioned the show to my daughter and she said "Who's Bob Dylan?" I told her I had failed as a mom! So we sat and watched/taped tonight's show and plan on doing the same tomorrow. It was nice to take this walk down memory lane...heard music I hadn't heard since I was a very young girl in my dad's living room. But the lyrics all came back to me, and I was singing right along.

Good job of integrating the music of the time with his story, how it may have influenced him and vice versa...and I loved hearing Dylan's comments. I'm wondering if Gord will be mentioned in part two?
Old 09-27-2005, 05:40 AM   #7
Auburn Annie

Oddly enough my first reaction on watching Part One was for the one and only time in my life wishing I was about ten years older than I am. I went to college maybe 30 miles from Greenwich Village and probably would have gravitated there at the time - all those performers! I had to laugh at Joan Baez' comment on looking at the film of herself and Bobby - smooth skin and baby fat, we were so young. And they were!
Old 09-27-2005, 02:20 PM   #8
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

I have a google alert set up for Mary Travers of PP and M and today I was surprised to receive an alert that was actually a link to a google (news)group in fact it is to a new thread/posting regarding last nights first part of Scorsese's documentary starting at:-
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.f...df21174cb34357
All you Dylan fans please after looking at that initial posting click on "show options" then select "view thread".
This is as you can see from a google group/usenet/newsgroup (alt.fan.don-imus)
which has the Description: Fans of radio host Imus.
whilst there I searched that group for lightfoot and found a pair of postings
the first one in 2002 started of (c)rudely:-
"Gordon Lightfoot is in the hospital. There's material for a joke there somewhere but I don't know enough of his songs.

I get him mixed up with John Denver and Amelia Earheart.
--
Ron Hardin
rhhar...@mindspring.com

On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk."
(sounds like he had read Steve's Sydney ramblings!!!)
the other one is earlier from 1998
subject
"The Wreck of the Jefferson Clinton "
it is mildly funny and starts at:-
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.f...c4a3441?hl=en&
I mention this because hitherto I did not realise that any newsgroup postings were indexed
although obviously google can trawl its own groups archive.
However as no doubt the learned Annie will concur the corresponding alert systemm for GL has never yet included any postings to alt.music.lightfoot
I find that strange and possibly discriminatory
John Fowles
and the Mary connection??
"I saw another show where Mary Travers was reminiscing about the Village folk scene and Zimmie's name was profoundly absent from her lips.
Telling, I thought."

[ September 27, 2005, 14:34: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 02:47 PM   #9
Auburn Annie

I'm trying unsuccessfully to remember who was talking about her last night (NOT Liam Clancy) but he was saying she was little more than a teenager hanging out in the village when they met. Not having seen her for weeks or maybe months, he spotted her one cold February day, and asked where she'd been. She told him in Florida. He wondered at her lack of a suntan, and she explained she'd been indoors most of the time because Albert (Grossman, her manager - and Gord's) wanted her to be the pale blond in the trio, which strategizing completely turned him off. You can almost watch the seam splitting between folksinging 'purists' and the development of the folksinger as commercial product in this film. Fascinating.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:07 PM   #10
Affair on Touhy Ave.

Quote:
Originally posted by mnmouse:
I was dismayed this afternoon when I mentioned the show to my daughter and she said "Who's Bob Dylan?" I told her I had failed as a mom! So we sat and watched/taped tonight's show and plan on doing the same tomorrow. It was nice to take this walk down memory lane...heard music I hadn't heard since I was a very young girl in my dad's living room. But the lyrics all came back to me, and I was singing right along.

Good job of integrating the music of the time with his story, how it may have influenced him and vice versa...and I loved hearing Dylan's comments. I'm wondering if Gord will be mentioned in part two?
so what if your daughter doesn't know who Dylan is? let alone Lightfoot. her idles are probbably people like Hillary Duff. I even read that she plans to do a remake of The Edmund Fitzgerald song. Just joking. of course that would of been interesting if she did considering she covered the GO-GO's Our Lip's Are Sealed.
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 12:15 AM   #11
mnmouse

Touhy,

My daughter is definitely developing eclectic tastes of her own where music is concerned, but I assure you she knows who Lightfoot is, and when I read your comment about Hilary Duff being an idol to her, her exact words were: "yeah, right...give me a little more credit, please." Oh, and now she also now knows who Dylan is.

Mouse