banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 02-01-2005, 10:21 PM   #1
LionHearted

This is my first post on this forum.

I joined to read and share my interest in Gordon Lightfoot. My story:

I was in a Home Depot one summer afternoon a few years ago to get some items for a project I was working on. I went along collecting the materials I needed at the store when I noticed a sweet and mellow sound through the public speakers that afternoon. I stopped to hear it more clearly -- it was sounded familiar. All I could make out was "Every Highway..." I made a mental note to be sure and look it up at a later time.

So I did just that, some time later. I discovered that it wasn't "Every Highway" but rather "Carefree Highway" and that the artist was Gordon Lightfoot. I just had to have that song! I made a trip to my bookstore and purchased the Sundown album. I can't tell you the joy that this fine album has brought to me in my life! Call it fate that I discovered Gord that summer afternoon at Home Depot, but I became a huge Gord fan upon my purchase of Sundown. Every song had so much meaning to me - so much depth and color.

Well, I don't want to get too sappy here. But I will say that some of my favorites are, for sure, Carefree Highway, but also Early Morning Rain, For Lovin' Me, Go-go round, the Railroad Trilogy, Summer side of Life, and a special favorite is If You Could Read My Mind. Edmund Fitzgerald is just so meaningful to me - one of my top favorites. I could go on and on!

Three songs in paticular have special meaning to me: The Watchman's Gone, Circle of Steel and just my absolute top song is SEVEN ISLAND SUITE.

I live in central Pennsylvania where the ridges and valleys of the Appalachians shape the land. Picture me traveling in my Jeep on a crisp Fall afternoon with the windows down and Gord playing along with the sky and the ridgetops and the verdant land and farms -- that is what Gordon means to me. He is quite an inspiration...

"We went walking on the high side of the bay on a chilly morn
And we saw how leaves had fallen on the beds where trees were born
Any man in his right mind could not fail to be made aware
Any woman with a gift of wisdom would not seek her answers there..."
LionHearted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 10:40 PM   #2
Sheryl Klein

Welcome LionHearted!! You're among friends. Get as sappy as you like! I know I do! Your favorites are most of mine -- my brain goes to mush when I hear Seven Island Suite...ahhhhhhhhhhh You'll find lots of friends here! By the way, check out his tour schedule, there are quite a few in Pennsylvania! Enjoy!!
Old 02-01-2005, 10:48 PM   #3
jeffyjo

Carefree Highway is one of my favorite songs of all time. It's just so full of hope and promise. One of those ones that suit me very well, that I could see myself having written, so to speak.

But it's also a song filled with melacholy, to me.

Jeff
jeffyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 10:50 PM   #4
jeffyjo

Make that melancholy. I obviously have forgotten how to spell.
jeffyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 10:52 PM   #5
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by LionHearted:

I live in central Pennsylvania where the ridges and valleys of the Appalachians shape the land. He is quite an inspiration...

welcome to the board "Richard".
If you are in central PA you cannot be too far from either Reading and/or the Silver Springs Resort or even Glenside. So just maybe we will meet up with you and a few other locals at the concerts in August:-
see http://www.lightfoot.ca/2005.htm (which Wayne Francis has recently updated with the latest corrected listing) and a recent topic here by gman Peter at:- http://www.corfid.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002941.html
if not earlier in May at Massey Hall Toronto (Gord's home and the venue for what will be the third grand fan convention
John Fowles
You will find a host of helpful people here so if you have any questions about Gord do not hesitate to ask
Also one tip
I noted that so far you are unregistered.
but there are a few advantages to comitting yourself as a member
1. if you make a mess of a posting you can (but only if registered) edit or even delete it
2. you can when starting a new topic check/tick the little box and then the efficient and friendly corfid webmaster will send you an email whenever anybody replies to that topic
3. you can create a signature that (at your option) will appear at the end of every posting
4. if you cough up your email address in your member's profle other fans can email you if they feel like telling you something off the forum
(other non-members reading this please take note.
John Fowles
P.S. any Uk fans wondering about "Home Depot" it is the US equivalent in D.I.Y. sheds to the U.K.'s B and Q etc .Indeed some time ago there was talk in the financial pages that HD wanted to expand into the UK via a merger with B and Q a la Walmart/ASDA
I too have heard Gord's magnum opus about that Arizona byroad in a local Home Depot

why is it that a king rules a kingdom but a queen does not rule a queendom???

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited February 01, 2005).]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 11:03 PM   #6
brink

Welcome! As had been said check out the concerts. What albums do you have now? If you haven't already you should get the Songbook (was on ebay for 18.00 the other day) you will find many Favorite songs there. Our favorites just keep changing on us, as will yours. Nice to meet you.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 06:52 AM   #7
Auburn Annie

Welcome aboard! What is it about those home improvement stores? Just last week I was at Lowe's with my husband (looking for a replacement filter for the furnace) when I heard "Carefree Highway" playing overhead. Dragged my heels en route to the checkout until the song was over. Love it - but hate it when they interrupt mid-song either to page somebody or run their own in-house commercial. I want to scream NO-O-O-O-O!!!!, wait til he's finished singing, you blockheads.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 11:25 AM   #8
gwen snyder

welcome lionhearted.
I liked your imagery...jeep, Pa geography, yeah.
AuburnAnnie, I agree with your "stop" theory
bye
gwen
gwen snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 05:19 PM   #9
Iron

Lionhearted
Maybe like the two ships passing in the night,we may have crossed paths somewhere.. I'm from the n-e part of Pa.(Dubois area) also with a jeep and Gord emanating from the speakers.Hope to meet up with you someday...
Brian
Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 05:35 PM   #10
Borderstone

A great big welcome to Lionhearted! How are ya? As you can see to the left,I'm Borderstone,just another of the great citizens here that admire Gordon Lightfoot & his music. I hope you stay a great while.

By the way folks,I've been on constant call at work since Jan. 23rd and my last day in a row will be tomorrow. I have to be there o\in about 25 mins. !!! no rest for the weary,the bleary and Dennis Leary!

Type to you all later!

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 01:51 AM   #11
Rona

Lionhearted,

"Sappy" does not exist here. We love Gordon Lightfoot, and we are all incredibly proud to say just how much! Welcome
Rona is offline   Reply With Quote