banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2000, 03:25 PM   #1
charlene

I have just returned from Early Morning Productions office on Yonge St. in Toronto. I gave the package of birthday wishes to Ann in Gord's office.

Barry Harvey came out from his office to see me and I told him about the internet card and how much Gord means to all of us. I said it seemed to fans that Gord is a happier more settled person - more at ease with himself and enjoying life to the fullest. Barry said THIS Gord makes his job a lot easier and that Gord IS very happy these days and looking forward to the next tour in 2001 and getting to Massey Hall. Barry said he knew about the people coming from all over next May.

I thanked Barry for doing so much to allow Gord to be so at ease and he said Ann does an awful lot to keep Gord and him in line. To which I said to Ann - there is always a woman doing all the behind the scenes hard work isn't there!? LOL

I mentioned that I had driven in from Whitby and lo and behold! - Barry lived here as a kid! Small world! He told me the street names and the name of the school he went to - right up the street from me but it is a French Immersion school now. That led to a discussion about French Immersion schools - he didn't send his kids and neither did I. It's a Canadian thing for you non-Canadians.

Gord wasn't in the office today but Barry said Gord would be very happy and grateful to receive everyone's wishes for a Happy Birthday. Ann put the envelope on Gord's desk while I was there. Being the polite, mild mannered, scared Canadian that I am I did not enquire about Gord's plans for his birthday.LOL
Quite frankly I am kind of relieved that Gord wasn't there - I think I would have been struck stupid if he had walked out of his office! Or burst into tears like the overly-sentimental doofus I am!

I was very anxious on the drive there - it seemed like it took forever because so much of Yonge Street up where the office is, is under construction and was down to two lanes! I wanted to yell out the window to jay-walkers - "get out of my way! I'm going to deliver something important to Gordon Lightfoot!" But I didn't. I sat patiently and quietly and window shopped as we slowly made our way down Yonge Street from the 401 highway. I did see some wonderful little shops I will have to frequent when I have more time (and Money!).

The office is not large but it is beautiful. Cabinets with all of Gord's hardware from the awards he's won, gold records, plaques, photographs - lovely and warm, very homey feeling, low lights and quiet. I didn't hear any Gord on the stereo! LOL

It was kind of surreal walking up the same stairs and down the same hall and opening the same door as Gord. I still feel odd...
Mission Accomplished.
Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2000, 04:40 PM   #2
Rose

Charlene,
Thanks for letting us know about the card, that was very sweet of you. Just the way you described from start to finish about getting it there, I felt like I was along for the ride, LOL you have a special way of telling things. Thanks again!

Rose
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2000, 05:17 PM   #3
SilverHeels

yeh, thanks Char. Its great to know that
Gord will actually see it.
SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2000, 07:51 PM   #4
supaiblue

Wait! GO BACK! You must deliver it in person! Please sit and wait till Gord comes in then give us the report!

Only kidding but thanks so much for doing this and having an exciting story to tell. It was alot more interesting than to imagine it having gone through the mail.
supaiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2000, 11:19 PM   #5
classicmixdj

Thank you for delivering the note to Gordon. Thank you for the details also. I think I speak for all of us when I say it makes our hearts warm to know those many kind thoughts were delivered to one whose given us more than we could ever ask or expect by way of his music. May God bless Gordon and you this day and in eternity.
-David
classicmixdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2000, 03:12 AM   #6
Florian

Hi charlene,

First of all, thank you very much for making this internet-birthday card possible.

As we all know, Gordon Lightfoot is (not yet? ) using the internet, so he does not have access to all the birthday wishes that are online.

Charlene and I agreed that it is best to print all wishes, send them via mail to Charlene who would then take them down to EMP's office.

Charlene, thanks for your detailed report of the delivery, I could feel the excitement too, almost as if I were there.

I am absolutely sure that Gordon Lightfoot will have a great time to read through more than 130 birthday wishes, from people all around the world.

Of course I'd also like to thank all who have signed the birthday card, and it's great to know all your wishes will be read by the "Bossman" himself.

-Florian
Florian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2000, 06:59 AM   #7
SilverHeels

And thank you, Florian, for making it
possible in the first place and for
presenting our Gord wishes in such a
beautifully tasteful way. You're the
best (and so is Char! LOL)
SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2000, 11:18 AM   #8
A Painter

A big thank you to Charlene and Florian. Thanks to Char for the detailed report. I felt nervous for you just reading it. You should have said how nervous you were beforehand - I would have gone with you. LOL.

Al.
A Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2000, 12:23 AM   #9
classicmixdj

quote:Originally posted by Florian:
Hi charlene,

First of all, thank you very much for making this internet-birthday card possible.

As we all know, Gordon Lightfoot is (not yet? ) using the internet, so he does not have access to all the birthday wishes that are online.

Charlene and I agreed that it is best to print all wishes, send them via mail to Charlene who would then take them down to EMP's office.

Charlene, thanks for your detailed report of the delivery, I could feel the excitement too, almost as if I were there.

I am absolutely sure that Gordon Lightfoot will have a great time to read through more than 130 birthday wishes, from people all around the world.

Of course I'd also like to thank all who have signed the birthday card, and it's great to know all your wishes will be read by the "Bossman" himself.

-Florian

I must add my thanks to you also Florian for making all of this possible. I trust that the team work of Char and you along with everones input brought a smile to Gord's face.
classicmixdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2000, 04:47 PM   #10
Paige

Thanks, Char. I loved the description of your trip -- makes me want to go their during my trip to Massey next May. I could then at least say I'd been in the same "airspace" as my hero!
Old 11-22-2000, 05:04 PM   #11
Paige

Char -- I loved reading the items that were in your "treasure chest." Does it contain all of the articles you have? After many years of knowing virtually nothing about Gord, it was so great to get "caught up", although a little sad too to read about his sometimes tumultuous life. I'm glad to read now that he is happily settled.

Have you met him? I tried after a concert last spring, but it was not to be. Meeting his manager and Rick Haynes was almost as good
Old 11-22-2000, 05:09 PM   #12
charlene

Hi Paige,
I have tons more stuff that I haven't scanned and sent to Florian.
I met Gord a few times but the "real" meeting was this past summer in Orillia.
If some kind soul on this board can explain how to search for a topic and read the posts from back on July 9th then Paige can get filled in!
Paige you can e-mail me at westbrd@sprint.ca and I can send you a couple of pics I took too!
Char
Old 11-23-2000, 04:25 PM   #13
Florian

quote:If some kind soul on this board can explain how to search for a topic and read the posts from back on July 9th then Paige can get filled in!

Sure, here they are:

Topic: Part 1 - Gord in Orillia

Topic: Part 2 - Gord in Orillia

Topic: Part 3 - Gord in Orillia

Be sure not to miss out on that excellent report, Paige.
Florian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2000, 06:09 PM   #14
charlene

# 1 - Kind Soul is FLORIAN!!
Old 11-27-2000, 09:19 PM   #15
catmanron

Charlene, I have just read the three chapters of "Gord in Orillia" it was a fantastic account, thankyou so much for sharing your close encounter with everyone. Gords only been to Australia and Melbourne once ( in the mid 70's ), we had to see him perform in an old tin shed, we called Festival Hall. To see him perform under the conditions you describe must have been terrific ( I got out my insect repellent !!.. lol ). Its 35degC in Melb. today I would like to send you 5 degs. of that for your story, ( I'm sure you could use that in Whitby at the moment... lol ). Thankyou very much and for delivering the birthday messages from us all.
catmanron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2000, 06:43 PM   #16
joveski

Correction: It actully got up to 36 degrees yesterday around 4:40pm
Didn't feel that warm though
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 11:29 PM   #17
jj

a really great story, char, well told as usual
but i think you should have called ahead to make sure GL would be there, eh

and then give him something even MORE memorable,
like YOU doing a Happy Birthday Singing Telegram
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 12:12 AM   #18
Sheryl Klein

Char, that was awesome -- and I mean awe-some. I felt like I was there, I felt like he was looking at me, too, I got shivers, I could hear the insects buzzing...wow! Thank you SO much, sweetie!! You made my year!