banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2004, 06:16 PM   #1
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

In another topic
Bill W said as quoted later by Gaby baby
Originally posted by Gaby:
Originally posted by BILLW:
What about an unobtrusive lapel sticker we could download from here? A strawberry, Uncle Toad, GL logo?

It wouldn’t look out of place but it would something we would all recognise on each other.
---------------------------------------------
I reckon that is an excellent idea
I remember Jenney as part of her superlative effort in organising the last two Massey Conventions made
simple badges using off-the-shelf clip on holders with a safety pin as shown below

If you search your souvenirs no doubt you have a similar holder around somewhere
or can devise a basic safety pin arrangement to pin a plain paper or card badge onto your person
I have now made a "first stab" at a suitable badge for discussion here
with space for the basic member's details (proper first name {at least}/location/email address)
I used a favo(U)rite drawing preogram(mme) by Serif (DrawPlus version 4-current version is 7) which enables you to "export"
your artistic creations as jpg digital pictures. A most useful rogramme and highly recommended by me at least
old version 4 is available for free dowwnload from :- http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/serif/dp/dp4/index.asp
and produced this initial idea to open discussion

Note that Gord's picture is a reduced size pasting of the header pic on Florian's site on the correct shade of blue background
and basic text colo(U)r plus the basic details of my memmbership as an ilustration
I have saved the original very small DrawPlus file (with my name details as an editable object.)
I could easily upload it to my web site so that anybody who wishes to create a nicely printed version could download the
free programme and template then simply edit the name/location/email address details or omit some as desired.
Alternatively graphic genius Jiminy Jones (jj here) might be inveigled to describe alternative methods using a photo editing
programme??? By the way the same Serif free site offers a free download of their photoPlus programme which I have tried and
found it offers the usual editing features (red eye reduction/ rotation/ resizing/cropping/color-brightness-contrast adjustment
I would print out some blanks for issue at Hamilton to anybody sufficiently computer challenged who failed to make their own
I have yet to try printing it out but intend once I have reloaded my printer driver checking the actual printed size and
adjusting as necessary to achieve the same rather larger than credit card sized print (actually 86mm by 56mm) as Jenney had
in 1999 and 2001. I will also once the basic idea is approved here add "www. and .com" to the "corfid" at the top and "Hamilton ON November 2004' at the bottom
So waddya think folks??

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited September 14, 2004).]

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 06:16 PM   #2
johnfowles

In another topic
Bill W said as quoted later by Gaby baby
Originally posted by Gaby:
Originally posted by BILLW:
What about an unobtrusive lapel sticker we could download from here? A strawberry, Uncle Toad, GL logo?

It wouldn’t look out of place but it would something we would all recognise on each other.
---------------------------------------------
I reckon that is an excellent idea
I remember Jenney as part of her superlative effort in organising the last two Massey Conventions made
simple badges using off-the-shelf clip on holders with a safety pin as shown below

If you search your souvenirs no doubt you have a similar holder around somewhere
or can devise a basic safety pin arrangement to pin a plain paper or card badge onto your person
I have now made a "first stab" at a suitable badge for discussion here
with space for the basic member's details (proper first name {at least}/location/email address)
I used a favo(U)rite drawing preogram(mme) by Serif (DrawPlus version 4-current version is 7) which enables you to "export"
your artistic creations as jpg digital pictures. A most useful rogramme and highly recommended by me at least
old version 4 is available for free dowwnload from :- http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/serif/dp/dp4/index.asp
and produced this initial idea to open discussion

Note that Gord's picture is a reduced size pasting of the header pic on Florian's site on the correct shade of blue background
and basic text colo(U)r plus the basic details of my memmbership as an ilustration
I have saved the original very small DrawPlus file (with my name details as an editable object.)
I could easily upload it to my web site so that anybody who wishes to create a nicely printed version could download the
free programme and template then simply edit the name/location/email address details or omit some as desired.
Alternatively graphic genius Jiminy Jones (jj here) might be inveigled to describe alternative methods using a photo editing
programme??? By the way the same Serif free site offers a free download of their photoPlus programme which I have tried and
found it offers the usual editing features (red eye reduction/ rotation/ resizing/cropping/color-brightness-contrast adjustment
I would print out some blanks for issue at Hamilton to anybody sufficiently computer challenged who failed to make their own
I have yet to try printing it out but intend once I have reloaded my printer driver checking the actual printed size and
adjusting as necessary to achieve the same rather larger than credit card sized print (actually 86mm by 56mm) as Jenney had
in 1999 and 2001. I will also once the basic idea is approved here add "www. and .com" to the "corfid" at the top and "Hamilton ON November 2004' at the bottom
So waddya think folks??

------------------
starts at

Old 09-14-2004, 07:47 PM   #3
Tyler

I can't go, but do I get to vote? I think that is very nice with the pussywillows and cattails and it isn't garish, It would well inform people who you are on corfid and your real name so there would be no embarrassment. Although, everyone knows who you are John. I would be one of the illiterate people that would collect a blank one from you and fill in. See, on the bright side, since I can't go now I won't embarrass myself in front of others that are computer literate. Thank you for making me feel better about staying at home

brink

My typing sucks, If I only had a brain. Sorry for the typos John.

[This message has been edited by brink (edited September 14, 2004).]
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 07:47 PM   #4
brink

I can't go, but do I get to vote? I think that is very nice with the pussywillows and cattails and it isn't garish, It would well inform people who you are on corfid and your real name so there would be no embarrassment. Although, everyone knows who you are John. I would be one of the illiterate people that would collect a blank one from you and fill in. See, on the bright side, since I can't go now I won't embarrass myself in front of others that are computer literate. Thank you for making me feel better about staying at home

brink

My typing sucks, If I only had a brain. Sorry for the typos John.

[This message has been edited by brink (edited September 14, 2004).]
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 08:25 PM   #5
johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by brink:
I would well inform people who you are on corfid and your real name so the would be no embarrassment.
Two innmediate thoughts
I aimed my first stab at corfid members since the basic idea by BillW arose here and there has been nmuch chatter about Hamilton here compared to almost zero on the usually bustling Newsgroup. I expect some NGers will object to being offerred an apparent corfid only badge. So tomorrow I'll try to integrate mention of them too, possibly by emphasising either "Lightheads" or The Net People"
Secondly Gaby's response to BillW's suggestion did specify
" unobtrusive lapel sticker"
so maybe a simpler idea would be to print the badge directly to a suitbly sized sticky address label??

------------------
starts at
Old 09-14-2004, 08:25 PM   #6
johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by brink:
I would well inform people who you are on corfid and your real name so the would be no embarrassment.
Two innmediate thoughts
I aimed my first stab at corfid members since the basic idea by BillW arose here and there has been nmuch chatter about Hamilton here compared to almost zero on the usually bustling Newsgroup. I expect some NGers will object to being offerred an apparent corfid only badge. So tomorrow I'll try to integrate mention of them too, possibly by emphasising either "Lightheads" or The Net People"
Secondly Gaby's response to BillW's suggestion did specify
" unobtrusive lapel sticker"
so maybe a simpler idea would be to print the badge directly to a suitbly sized sticky address label??

------------------
starts at
Old 09-14-2004, 09:15 PM   #7
2Much2Lose

John, before you go too crazy trying to get the right size, I bought a box at Staples with the badge holders and cardboard badges. It's an Avery kit so the template is already in most word processing software.
Jenney
2Much2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 09:15 PM   #8
Jenney

John, before you go too crazy trying to get the right size, I bought a box at Staples with the badge holders and cardboard badges. It's an Avery kit so the template is already in most word processing software.
Jenney
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 07:51 AM   #9
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

quote:Originally posted by Jenney:
Jenney

Sounds good. Are we gonna do screen names and real names. My real name is Bill Wallace, LOL.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 09:27 AM   #10
bjb

Hi John,
I'd rather wear a tshirt with that hot photo of Gordon that someone posted a while ago...

bjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 09:46 AM   #11
Station Master

Send a message via ICQ to Station Master

>>>Secondly Gaby's response to BillW's suggestion did specify "unobtrusive lapel sticker" so maybe a simpler idea would be to print the badge directly to a suitbly sized sticky address label??
>>>

this sounds most practical, imo... JR's right on with the Avery suggestion too, why struggle with alignment when someone has already gone through the $%^&*%

just 2 cent plug here, i like using ACDSee (may still be at tucows?) as an image viewer and print previewer...MS Word is common, eh

i'll be making May or maybe Nov, i'll be wearing a diaper pin

oh, and thank you for the endorsement John, i love exaggeration ...let me help in any way but i think the creators in the past have always come up with unique and witty solutions to every Lighthead want and need
Station Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 09:46 AM   #12
jj

>>>Secondly Gaby's response to BillW's suggestion did specify "unobtrusive lapel sticker" so maybe a simpler idea would be to print the badge directly to a suitbly sized sticky address label??
>>>

this sounds most practical, imo... JR's right on with the Avery suggestion too, why struggle with alignment when someone has already gone through the $%^&*%

just 2 cent plug here, i like using ACDSee (may still be at tucows?) as an image viewer and print previewer...MS Word is common, eh

i'll be making May or maybe Nov, i'll be wearing a diaper pin

oh, and thank you for the endorsement John, i love exaggeration ...let me help in any way but i think the creators in the past have always come up with unique and witty solutions to every Lighthead want and need
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 09:54 PM   #13
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Hi everyone,

As I've said I'll be glad to wear whatever wins the most votes. Badge ? T-shirt ? But I'd prefer not to get another tattoo, LOL. In any event I plan on cutting my hair the day before so my dome will be a shining beacon, on a hill ? Anyway, can't wait to see him.

Bill

I'd been out drinkin' all day
I got carried away at the parlor last night
This summer rose is for you it's no wonder
I bothered to wander back into the parlor
It's red and in bloom and it's more than one color
It lives on forever for just a few dollars
Good night

BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote