banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-15-2008, 08:07 PM   #1
charlene

Default CANOE site is partially up and running -

Some of the site is up and running..

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Artists/L/...302271-ca.html

there's a link at the bottom of the canoe site to a Lightfoot Fan Group - "The Way We Feel"
clicking on the words above the persons name takes you to their wishes and pictures..

Some wishes from notable friends and fans of Gord's can be seen now..
Monday morning will have more fan wishes..15 pages are at the link at the bottom that says post wishes here..there's some great stories to read..

Only a few Net People have posted..

David will be working on it this weekend..

I have enjoyed helping David with this project so much! It's been very gratifying to assist in my small way in celebrating Gords 70th!

thanks David!!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:06 AM   #2
jj

Default Re: CANOE site is partially up and running -

tre-thanks David, thanks char! those rare old pics are such treasures

and sincere, well worded "Star" greetings ... I think the latter portion of Stompin Tom's greeting speaks for us all:

"...for Christ's sake, keep those great songs coming. Your still "The Man" Gord."

Last edited by jj; 11-16-2008 at 02:20 AM.
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:06 AM   #3
charlene

May 15, 2005 - Toronto Star article:
Gord ends the article with:
And suddenly he smiles, reminded of the countless tributes that have been paid to him over the past couple of years, including a special all-Lightfoot episode of CTV's Canadian Idol last summer.

"I really enjoyed that — we went back three days during the taping of that show, and I was amazed by what those kids did with the songs. I love it when people come up to me in the street as if they've known me all their lives, and just start chatting. It makes me feel good to be alive, good to be a Canadian."

The smile broadens.

"But I think Stompin' Tom (Connors) is the one who really deserves the tributes."
Old 11-16-2008, 03:30 PM   #4
lighthead2toe

Through the woodland through the valley those two fine Canucks are still to it and at it and at it and to it. Long live the staying power of that rainbow guys.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:07 PM   #5
DellroyGM

Cool! For once I got in on something when it is actually happening! I posted a little wish on Canoe, as one of the many Net People.
I have been peeking a bit here and there. It's been a tough year. Lost my mom in April...she had a MRSA get into her lungs (that's an antibiotic-resistant infection).
Hope everyone is well, I will try and poke my nose in more often!

-Gary
DellroyGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:26 PM   #6
charlene

hi Gary..sorry to hear about your mum..
thanks for posting at the CANOE site..a few more NET PEOPLE posting there would be nice..
drop by more often..
char
Old 11-16-2008, 09:58 PM   #7
buzzard

What a wonderful tribute. And so very well done. David & Char - you should be very proud of how this turned out.

Brian
buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:05 PM   #8
charlene

it's a great site-David has outdone himself!
he's still doing some tweaking and additions tonight so keep checking in!
thanks for posting your wishes Brian!
Old 11-17-2008, 05:49 AM   #9
geodeticman.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DellroyGM View Post
Cool! For once I got in on something when it is actually happening! I posted a little wish on Canoe, as one of the many Net People.
I have been peeking a bit here and there. It's been a tough year. Lost my mom in April...she had a MRSA get into her lungs (that's an antibiotic-resistant infection).
Hope everyone is well, I will try and poke my nose in more often!

-Gary
DellroyGM (Gary), The reason I am posting to you was I wanted to express my condolances ever you losing your mother. It caught my eye especially because of the culprit - MRSA. I lost my father to that same thing awhile back, and so I empathise very much. I am very sorry for your loss.

Last edited by geodeticman.5; 11-17-2008 at 08:10 AM.
geodeticman.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:11 AM   #10
Gord H

I just added my comments a few moments ago. I know GL isn't on the Internet but I hope someone sits him down in front a computer today so he could see how much he is appreciated!

Right now I'm listening to Summertime Dream, the very first LP I ever heard of his thanks to my dad.
Gord H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:16 AM   #11
Yuri

Lightfoot turns 70
Article in the Orillia Times-Packet
Posted By RANDY LUCENTI, THE PACKET AND TIMES

Orillia's living musical legend turns 70 today.
Gordon Meredith Lightfoot Jr. was born on Nov. 17, 1938, to Jessica and Gordon Lightfoot in the Sunshine City.
As a youth, Lightfoot sang inthechoirof St. Paul'sUnited Church under the direction of choirmaster Ray Williams. During this time as a "boy soprano," Lightfoot competed in amateur talent shows on CFOR radio, performed in a high school quartet (The Collegiate Four) and in the annual Kiwanis music festivals.
Lightfoot remarked during one of his trips home that it was Williams who "taught him how to sing with emotion and how to have confidence in his voice."
As a teenager, Lightfoot studied piano and taught himself drums and other percussion instruments.
"I like to remember where it is that I come from," Lightfoot once told The Packet & Times.
When he turned 18, Lightfoot moved to California, where he studied at Hollywood's Westlake College of Music in 1957. He returned to Canada in 1958, and his musical career grew from there.
Lightfoot embarked on his first Canadian tour in 1967. From 1967-71, he toured through Europe and Australia. He curtailed his touring schedule in 1972 after contracting Bell's palsy, a condition that left his face partially paralyzed for a time.
It wasn't until 1971 that his own version of "If You Could Read My Mind" became a top- 10 hit. The song was originally featured on his 1970 album "Sit Down Young Stranger," which had not sold well. After the success of the song, the album was re-released under the new title "If You Could Read My Mind" to capitalize on the success of the song.
In 1974, his classic single "Sundown," from the album of the same name, went to No. 1 on the American charts. He followed up with such hits as "Carefree Highway," "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" and "The Circle Is Small (I Can See It In Your Eyes)."
Through the 1990s, Lightfoot released two albums and played about 50 tour dates a year.
Continued After Advertisement Below
Advertisement
In the fall of 2002, before he was to play the second of two benefit concerts for Soldiers' Memorial Hospital and the Sunshine Festival at the Opera House, he suffered a near-fatal abdominal hemorrhage that left him in a coma for nearly two months.
He recovered and later returned to the music business with the album "Harmony" and an appearance on the television show Canadian Idol. He also made good on the Orillia concert he was forced to cancel due to his illness.
The musical legend has received 15 Juno Awards and been nominated for five Grammy Awards. He was inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame in 1986 and the Canadian Country Music Hall of Fame in 2001. He was inducted into Canada's Walk of Fame in 1998.
In 2003, he was made a Companion of the Order of Canada, the country's highest civilian honour. Lightfoot is also a member of the Order of Ontario, the highest honour in the province.
Despite his age, Lightfoot has announced a brief cross-country tour for next April.
Fans and friends of Lightfoot can go to orilliapacket.com and link to a special web collection of photos and stories to mark the occasion. There is also a fan space where Orillia area residents can post birthday wishes for Lightfoot.
Bugs! - http://thunderhouse4-yuri.blogspot.com/
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:58 PM   #12
charlene

the CANOE home page has a pic and link in the top right corner..
http://en.canoe.ca/home.html
there's also a window with a tab under todays date that links to all the sections at CANOE..it's a great link!

there's nothing in print other than in the horoscopes that mention it's his birthday..The Toronto Sun has a "Today in History" blurb aout him..

I am SO glad that David and CANOE have done this project.. thanks to all who posted and thanks to so many artists who replied to our requests for wishes and memories..

the link in the Orillia paper goes to CANOE. scroll to bottom - Special Report: http://www.orilliapacket.com/
there's also a window with a tab to all the sections at CANOE..it's a great link!
Old 11-17-2008, 04:33 PM   #13
geodeticman.5

I've been reading, no...inhaling the new site write-up on Gordon Still-"The Man" - Lightfoot, pics, etc., and would like to say - Thank you David and Char -and all who contributed - fantastic work and well-deserved and fitting tribute. I'm e-mailing the hyper-link to ths site to my daughter, Mamie, who's favourite artist is Sara MacLaughlin (I'm trin' to get that one right, CHAR ) . She just kind of shrugs when I tell her the immense influence (thats too light a word... I'll go with what I believe was David in his article/site that said the words paraphrasing 'every songwriter in country and folk in Canada has 'Lightfoot on his shoulder' " [which would take a 'serious' fan to know what he means.]

-In any event - every writer having both Lightfoot on their shoulder (hope its not 'cold' up there tonight, its a chill wind blowing down here in the Colorado Rockies), and his 'influence' both may not be heard by Mamie in her 1rst, 2nd. even 3rd listen to Sara's new album, not as the memories of listening to Lightfoot evey evening after work, every weekend around the house, or on the road in vacation, her soul is steeped in Lightfoot FAR more than she realizes from years of her Mom and Dad permeating our home all the way from her asking to hear 'Pony Man' again on the 'cassette' - state-of-art when she was asking that, to nowadays - Lightfoot on the cd, and then going in her house and listening Lightfoot's influence in her favourite artist, Sara 'McLightfoot' - I've dubbed her.

Such a magnificent legacy and tapestry (there's that ubiqiutous term again in and around Lightfoot) to 'leave to weave' as it will its on its' "lonesome, winsome" ways to the next generation of thinking listeners, seeing there own visions of paintings, and textures of the tapestries.

Oh ! and David's site (unbeknownst to him....) vindicates my rather verbose, as its been said "propensity for taking the long way around the barn"-wordiness (-snicker-), and of such in David's words: Today our artists sing with Canadian voices, about Canadian places, about woodland and prairie, mountain and ocean, Saskatoon and Springhill. Today it's cool to be Canadian and concerned with Canadian things. It's okay to be wordy and weird, wild and wanton all on the same album, whether you're the Barenaked Ladies or Broken Social Scene. And it's also okay to head south of the border to hit the big-time, returning to live and work and write up here, as Lightfoot's always done.!!
Old 11-20-2008, 09:09 PM   #14
DellroyGM

Thanks, Geo Steve & Char!

-Gary
DellroyGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:04 PM   #15
imported_Next_Saturday

I had to laugh at the juxtaposition of two banner ads on the Orillia Packet site. One is a little photo of "Lightfoot at 70" and above it is an ad for an insurance agency that Gord would probably use to sum up his concert appearances.

You can see it for yourself at:
http://www.orilliapacket.com/Article...aspx?e=1311393