banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-15-2000, 08:29 PM   #1
Frank v

Beatles,Animals,Who,traffic,Stones,Band,creedence, Beach boys,Chicago,Hollies,Cream........

Dear all,
Lets snow Florian under with so many posts,he wont know whats hit him,when he returns!

This is another silly one!

The lead singer of one of those famous 60's groups has fallen ill.so Gord steps in.
But which group? Surely not the stones...
Gord as mick?
But singing Lady Jane not too unrealistic...

Frank.
Frank v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2000, 08:37 PM   #2
sandyo

Frank - I can kinda hear a "yesterday" in there somewhere.
sandyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2000, 08:58 PM   #3
2Much2Lose

My imagination does not stretch that far. Once it gets past the breaking point, it snaps like a rubber band. For the life of me, the only group that comes to mind is "Plastic Ono Band" but that might be because of all these references to synthetic petrochemicals.

------------------
"And the laughter came too easy for life to pass me by." - SDYS
2Much2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2000, 06:25 AM   #4
Frank v

2much,
I've really taken to your posts,lately.
(More compliments via email soon).

But I must concede, this one confuses me???
Are you saying 'Group' is an unusual term,in the US as opposed to 'Band'.

Frank.
Old 08-16-2000, 05:02 PM   #5
2Much2Lose

Nope, what I'm saying is that the picture of Gord as Mick is so bizarre that it drove all rational responses from my mind, leaving me with nothing but Plastic Ono. Why not Gord filling in for John? That way, we could have a reunion.

BTW, "group" and "band" are synonyms easily understood on this side of the pond. Unlike such terms as "apples and pears." Can you imagine it? "Sundown, you better take care if I find you've been sneakin' round apples and pears." LOL. I spent four months in and around London in 1975, so I can translate the president's English into the Queen's American.

------------------
"And the laughter came too easy for life to pass me by." - SDYS
2Much2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2000, 08:49 PM   #6
Mary Ann

Just like 2much2lose, my imagination does not stretch to the point that Gord would be a logical replacement for the likes of Mick Jagger or John Lennon. I'm having a hard time thinking up anyone he could replace because his music is so-
so unique. The best I could come up with was if Gord replaced Lindsey Buckingham with Fleetwood Mac; or even Christine McV. (lol)

Mary Ann
Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2000, 01:41 AM   #7
midnightmisty

Frank,

Wow, you've got me on this one. Total block
here now. Your topics can be challenging!

But I've been needing to say that I'm really
very annoyed that he wasn't a member of "The Highwaymen". They just can't cut it for me because Gord is the missing element. So in my
heart - they aren't complete & I can't be bothered. He would have been a GREAT addition and to this day I cannot believe he's not a member!!!!!

Thanks, everyone for giving me some space to vent that. I didn't know where to put these
feelings & didn't want to start a whole topic about it.
midnightmisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2000, 04:13 PM   #8
Janice

This one's tough 'cause it's hard to imagine Gord singing rock - it seems so out of character. But, I'm thinking maybe the Troggs. I can hear Gord singing "I feel it in my fingers, I feel it in my toes. Love is all around us and so the feeling grows..."

Janice
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2000, 04:29 PM   #9
Frank v

Janice,
That is definitely a Gord type song.
But those white suits the Troggs used to wear?...LOL

Frank.
Old 08-19-2000, 04:35 PM   #10
Janice

LOL, Frank!

I was very young when the Troggs were performing, I don't remember what they looked like or wore I am just familiar with some of there more popular songs.

Janice
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2000, 04:40 PM   #11
midnightmisty

Frank v,

Guess what! He's wearing a white suit in the photo gallery! (Janice, doesn't he look GREAT!)

And that photo of him winking nearly gave my a heart attack the first time I saw it. I'm
still pretty new to computers and I just had
no idea! (but i like it now.)

midnightmisty
midnightmisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2000, 04:47 PM   #12
Frank v

I've seen it!
He looks a cool dude!
He's got it all...isn't life unfair...?

Frank.
Old 07-09-2003, 06:17 PM   #13
Borderstone

Out of all those groups,I can only imagine him in CCR or "The Band". Personally,I think he would've made a great 5th voice to Crosby,Stills,Nash & Young! Let's see the marquee:Tonight! Live! "Crosby,Stills,Nash,Lightfoot & Young!" I thought of GL's name last but it didn't flow as well. So,whaddya think? Been me,later!

------------------
Borderstone (Also known as,"The B!")
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 01:26 PM   #14
ambrose

... not that i don't want to play

but Gord is in a class all of his own. there is no other group that Gord could 'step' into except one of his own making. he is that unique to me.

even stretching to hear all the groups that i can remember from the late 50's to now, i can't think of one.

ambrose
ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 02:05 PM   #15
TheWatchman

I think that Lightfoot's voice would have complimented The Highwaymen (Cash, Kristoferson, Nelson & Jennings) very well.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 09:29 AM   #16
closetcanadian

In the late 80's, Lightfoot should have toured with the Traveling Wilburys (Dylan, Orbison, Petty, Harrison, Lynne). Balancing all the egos would have been difficult but Gordon would have made a great addition.
closetcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 06:17 PM   #17
Borderstone

If I were Gordon,I'd be a little offended that they would not think of me as a big enogh name to ask for me to take part. If they had chose to substitute the late great Orbison,I would think Gord is the next logical choice. Who better? For that matter,who in popular music is more down to earth with no ego in the way? That's my take. Later!

------------------
Borderstone (An,"Avid Listner" of G.L.)
Old 07-14-2003, 05:33 AM   #18
Ben Dover

I read somewhere, that after the sad loss of Roy Orbison, that it was suggested that Del Shannon would replace him,
[QUOTE]
Through the remainder of the decade Shannon continued to perform, although he was financially secure. He was working on another comeback album (later released after his death as Rock On) with Jeff Lynne, and sometimes rumored as a replacement for Roy Orbison in the Traveling Wilburys.[QUOTE]
http://www.history-of-rock.com/del_shannon.htm
Ben Dover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 05:35 AM   #19
Ben Dover

quote:you would think I have never posted before
Ben Dover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 04:38 PM   #20
titan

I can somewhat-almost see Gord singing lead
in place of David Gates in the 70's band
BREAD. Remember the song Guitar Man?
I think Gord's voice -(although not a duplicate of Gates) would work quite nicely in many of BREAD'S music.

Eveyone's Friend,

Titan
Old 07-15-2003, 05:15 PM   #21
Borderstone

Speaking of the group Bread,I was certain when the 70's revivals were going on in the 90's that they'd be showing up. I guess David Gates is happy to be anonymous once again. Personally,I think he should at least do A PBS concert so that his music can reach a new generation and also so the group is better remembered. If The Bee Gees,Styx,and Gordon can do it,they can to. If they don't,I see it only as a missed opportunity. Later! P.S.-The Troggs' picture can also be found in the Billboard Book Of #1 hits. 5th edition due out in October!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Borderstone (edited July 15, 2003).]
Old 07-15-2003, 10:20 PM   #22
Lil Hoov

I saw David Gates name mentioned and wanted to add that around 1997 David did an album with background vocals of Billy Dean on some of the songs. I will have to dig it out tomorrow to tell you the name of this but I remember at the time there was also an article in the paper about him.My favorite song of David's is; "Everything I Own", a song he wrote for his Father,a real tender song,also like to hear; "IF". I can imagine Gordon singing that one in his style.Don't you just miss all those great singers we grew up with? Today the music just doesn't even compare somehow... Peace, Randy
Old 07-16-2003, 09:36 AM   #23
gwen snyder

Randy, agreed.
gwen snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 10:25 AM   #24
Oma

quote:Originally posted by Lil Hoov:
"Everything I Own", a song he wrote for his Father

Love that song! I had the 8 track and also cassette tape with that song and also "IF" on it! I think it was "The Best of Bread" or "Bread Anthology"...can't remember the name, but definitely remember the song! Time to get the CD, too!

Oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 07:15 PM   #25
Borderstone

I'm still trying to get all of Bread's hits (unbelievably). I started to get them with the 1st Best of Bread LP and Baby I'm A Want You LP. I've got all the hits of a dozen or so acts but not them! I guess I've lost them in the shuffle. I know there's a complete CD out there now,I just haven't sought it out./// Yes! I do miss the acts I heard on the radio when I was a kid! From '72 when I was 3&4 up to say,1980. The music of today doesn't compare because most of (not all) of today's acts don't want to venture into that part of themselves. The gentler more thoughtful kind of lyrics. I have noticed though that it's slowly changing. There are some singers and groups that are looking to the past to make better music for today. Two best examples are the newly formed group The Thorns,who are made up of 3 male solo singers. They are sort of a modern take on C,S&N. In fact,I got very lucky at NE side record store and found their Self titled debut on vinyl! Promotional copy at that! Kind of weird having an LP where on the back it says (c)2003! The cover even evoks a 60s-70s feeling,their out in the country. The other good example is piano player/singer Alicia Keys. Simply put,she's a 21st Century Roberta Flack with just a slight edge. I know we'll always love the artists of that time. Even though I was a teen in the 80s,I'll take 70s over that anytime! I think it's because as a kid I saw these mostly positive sounds and images in music and visual entertainment and some in the real world to. Then along came the 80s and all of a sudden were a money grubbing,indifferent,me,myself & I society. Some 80s music is fun but a lot more of it is either "plastic"(as I call it) in it's music,cold and distant or negative on love and even the fate of the world. There will not be a time like the 1970's again,musically speaking,but it's comforting to know that there are youger people out there that have or are just now hearing it and they love it. If they become singers/songwrietrs,it may have already influenced them. It's been me and I did not expect to go on like that but when I feel strongly on something,there's no stopping me. Later!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Borderstone (edited July 16, 2003).]