banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 01-14-2009, 06:58 PM   #1
Auburn Annie

Default Goodbye Patrick and Ricardo!

I see in the news that we've lost Patrick McGoohan (age 80) and Ricardo Montalban (88). I loved McGoohan - scared the bejesus out of me in "The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh", was great in the Columbo episode "By Dawn's Early Light" and of course as Number Six in The Prisoner.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:39 PM   #2
Dream Street Rose

Default Re: Goodbye Patrick and Ricardo!

Annie,

Sorry to hear of our loss but appreciate you letting us know. Usually I keep up with what is happening but did not know of one my favorites (Ricado Montalban) , passing away. I will always remember him from "Fantasy Island".

DSR
Old 01-15-2009, 09:31 AM   #3
SilverHeels

Have always been a fan of Patrick McGoohan - those blue eyes! Last year I visited Portmeirion in N. Wales, to see The Village. Number Six's house is now the Gift Shop. We fooled around on the beach with a giant white balloon and we kept greeting other visitors with 'Be seeing ya'. Stupid, I know. We talked about whether Patrick might visit there again. Now he never will, but his spirit is there, for sure.

I hadnt heard about Ricardo Montalban.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:28 PM   #4
Borderstone

I was not as familiar with Doohan but may he rest in peace just the same.

Ricardo of course,I grew up watching Fantasy Island from 1978 to 1983 and his character "Mr. Roarke" was not only cool but very spooky as well.

My brother & I recently watched his TV appearence on Star Trek a few weeks ago,as well as the movie "Star Trek:The Wrath Of Khan" from 1982. First I'd seen either. Very good character and I could not see anyone else playing that role.

Glad I saw them before he left. Rest in peace on the real "Fantasy Island" Ricardo.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:06 PM   #5
timetraveler

I nearly fell off the sofa when they announced Ricardo's passing. True, Fantasy Island was a fairly memorable show, but what I remembered the most was when he played Khan, both in the Star Trek series, as well as in The Wrath Of Khan. He actually seemed to be more menacing in Wrath. As for McGoohan, what I will always remember him for was his portrayal of Longshanks, in Braveheart. Both gentlemen were class acts that can't be replaced as there isn't anyone else out there that could ever come close. Those two will be missed.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:40 PM   #6
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHeels View Post
Have always been a fan of Patrick McGoohan - those blue eyes! Last year I visited Portmeirion in N. Wales, to see The Village. Number Six's house is now the Gift Shop. We fooled around on the beach with a giant white balloon and we kept greeting other visitors with 'Be seeing ya'. Stupid, I know. We talked about whether Patrick might visit there again. Now he never will, but his spirit is there, for sure.

I hadnt heard about Ricardo Montalban.
Many thanks for the heads up Annie.
I really enjoyed Magoohan's work on both the Prisoner and before that on Danger Man and checked the Beeb's obit finding to my surprise that he was actually born in the NYC borough of Queens
I am getting out of touch with obituaries from the UK because my daily bulletin from the UK's Daily Telegraph
mysteriously ceased several months ago yet when I checked their site my free subscription still is listed, I even tried changing to another email address to no avail.All very distressing as I did nothing that I know of to merit this and there is no block on their URL.Neither do any of my Google alerts arrive and as strange not a single advice of any replies to topics on corfid to which I have subscribed has appeared in my inbox for about the same lengty of time
Am I alone in this problem which has really p...ed me off
So if anybody found a reason for this I would be overjoyed to find the solution

Regarding the village of Portmeiron
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portmeirion
on the Northern Welsh coast I regettably missed a chance to visit many years ago when surveying a building for a chilmney erection contract at a site at a nearby town
)I think it was most likely Aberystwyth)
sample coloUrful view below of the town of Portmeirion

Last edited by johnfowles; 05-26-2020 at 06:43 PM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:35 AM   #7
SilverHeels

Portmeirion has to be seen to be bellieved so if any of you ever get to UK, be sure and take a trip there. It is magnificent!

John, I have experienced the same trouble as you with Daily Telegraph. I am still listed but I do not receive the daily newspaper on line. Really weird.

Did you get my email re the sad passing of Dave Dee some days ago?
Old 05-26-2020, 06:20 PM   #8
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

reply to
http://corfid.com/vbb/showthread.php...ht=portmeirion
I have just refound this old thread from 2009, that summer we attended that year's biannual gathering of Nevil Shute fans in York England (Nevil in the 30s after the end of the R100 airship program that he virtually managed at Howden near York which had included an epic return flight to Canada) started his own aircraft company (Airspeed Limited) in York, After the confrrence we visited my sister then (probably inspired by this thread) I persuaded both families to drive the 108 miles to Portmeiron and really enjoyed the beauty of this unique town (there are many photos of it on the internet plus 3 very nice walk around videos on YouTube) A visit is highly recommended by me, We also on the way called in to Blaenau Ffestiniog the terminus of the narrow gauge Festiniog railway "It is the oldest surviving railway company in the world"
to rekindle my own teenage trainspotting enthusiasm

Last edited by johnfowles; 05-26-2020 at 06:37 PM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote