banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 05-11-2008, 11:02 PM   #1
814scenic

Default MasseyHall-2008-Sharon

Hi everyone,
I am enjoying living vicariously through everyone's anecdotes! I hope to be able to meet all of you in person in eighteen months. The jam sessions are incredible! So much talent! I took organ lessons many, many years ago. I would love to learn to play a guitar. Who knows,maybe I will give it a try!All of the well wishes and sympathic posts re: my injury, I haven't answered all because of pain meds and other factors, but they have all helped me get through a rough time. My special thanks to Char and Diane. Ladies, you are truly BEAUTIFUL!!! Please keep Gord stories coming. Anybody meeting him or the orchestra for the first time? Any info is welcome. Was Gord's family there? By the way, Happy Mothers Day! I feel so blessed to have found this site!
Sharon
814scenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:10 AM   #2
podunklander

Default Re: MasseyHall

I hope you are recovering well Sharon !

Pam
Old 05-12-2008, 11:13 AM   #3
sunshine

Hi Sharon, Well, the bad news is that you didn't make it to Massey in 2008, but if you are on the mends, that is the most important thing; the good news, though, is that Gordon said that "if we are all still standing," they will be back in November, 2009. So as you and I discussed the other day, maybe that will be your time to experience it all, the Toronto experience; Gordon performing at his favorite place; the band and their families/friends; the Lighthead camaraderie; the jam sessions, etc. Hopefully, something will occur closer to your home before that, but you can at least have that as a long-term goal. Until then, take care and be well. Peace.
________
BMW R100RS

Last edited by sunshine; 01-26-2011 at 12:44 AM.
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:34 PM   #4
Jesse Joe

Best wishes down your way for a speedy recovery Sharon.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 02:37 PM   #5
814scenic

Thank you everybody. Your get well wishes and messages mean a lot to me!
Old 05-15-2008, 02:20 PM   #6
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

There are now so many Massey 2008 threads I could post this many times but this one is as good as any and I too add my best wishes for Sharon's recovery.see you in November 09??
You asked if Gord's family were there.
certainly on Saturday
Elizabeth and Meredith were much in evidence.
A few reminiscences while they are still fresh in my mind:-
Last Tuesday we arrived at the Delta Chelsea inToronto in time to go out for a meal next door at the Elephant and Castle,
where I was struck by two photos/posters that I did not recall seeing there before
(the whole dining area has been remodelled so that the tables are quite different to previous visits)

Nice to see a picture of Maggie there

An amusing montage of a Rolls Royce clamped by a "Denver Boot"
that first evning I had the first of three Yorkshire Puddings with Beef washed down with a satisfying pint of real UK Ale from Fullers of London their "Pride" and joy

three UK beers on tap
we got back to our fine room at the Delta Chelsea in time to watch on CBC television
The Hour with George Stroumboulopoulos. a.k.a. "Strombo"
I see that sombody has uploaded the over 14 minutes video presumably as obtained from the CBC site to youtube at:-

as a large flash video file which my silly computer is having great trouble in downloading complete I repeatedly get a very short intro then it stops playing. So far I have only been able to watch the first couple of minutes
exactly the same problem has beset Jimbos "clips" video at:-
http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=18490
but again from the little I have been able to see it looks like he has captured the essence of the jam session on Friday.
(the John Stinson, Ron and Jimmy Jones, Paul1/2 Bartlett/Johnson show)
Hopefully when we find the time to watch our tapes we'll find we caught him in full song
Near the start of The Hour programme was a tantalising snippet from what looks like a very nice vintage colour video of Gord performing the magnificent Mountains And Maryann

I wonder how many more hours of such priceless treasures the CBC has stashed away!
I know that they do have the complete 1968 Showcase that featured the extra rare "Face Of A Thousand People"

one comment on the Hour interview was by
chilledrob
"What a humble man. Great interview. If he comes to Australia, I'm there!"
to which a few fans I know of will undoubtedly be saying "get in line cobber!"
the apart from the usual excitement of the concerts themselves, my most outstanding memory of Massey 2008 will undubitably be of McVeighs Irish Pub, the first of that genre in North America 40 years ago it claims
This venue was a resounding success
and many kudos and thanks are due to Ron and CHar for organising the jam sessions
There were number of poster's around the Pub

Note the plug for corfid!!
We were treated to a fine pair of afternoon's entertainment.
For me the highlight was I think the introduction by star Red Shea guitar pupil Paul Bartlett to "The last Time I Saw Her Face"
which he described as showing Gord's magnificent voice in all its glory (or words to that effect) a view I personally heartily agree with.Indeed this song was featured live in concert as late as September 1987 (the folkfest WNEW radio broadcast), where Gord himself introduced the song as"here is one which is near and dear to the hearts of all of you.Lets see if I can do it" whereupon he nailed it.
Although Paul confessed to "not being a singer" his accurate guitar accompaniment to John Stinson's vocals was truly outstanding.
Friday's session saw the augmentation of the Orchestra with the bass guitar of Tony G.
Afterwards Ron was besides himself when the pub management very, obviously impressed with the jam session (or at least the quantity of Ale that was quoffed) invited the group to come back after the concert that evening and also on Saturday. an invitation gladly accepted by most of us. On the Friday, the regular pub band

Which the banjo player (name unknown) told me was called "the Wild Irish Rovers"
which is as likely as the proclaimed name of their bass player ("you can call me Johnny Storm!")
were still playing and after a typical Irish flavoured song I was amazed to realise that they had launched into the "Dong" song (the one about the "Long Thin" variety). Then the lead singer, Geoffrey Barnes revealed that he was a Lightfoot fan, and proceeded to do a fantastically upbeat and loud rendition of "Early Morning Rain" I recovered enough from the initial shock to record most of this on my digital camera.
I have converted it to the same flash video *.flv format (as used on youtube), but I have yet to attempt to embed it on a page on my website (complete with a flash player as I assume is utilised by youtube) so here is the URL of the uploaded file.
http://boxstr.com/files/2065438_ww8e...27s%20_EMR.FLV
I would expect that the fortunate broadband brigade can simply click on the link and watch it uninteruptedly, whereas those like me battling a lethargic dial up can right click then "Save Target As" and get their daily exercise by violently twiddling their thumbs.It is still even in flv format a mighty 13.7MB.
I would appreciate it if somebody on a fast internet connection would confirm that it plays continuously all right.
As always the few days went by all too quickly and it was a joy meeting some new faces, even if as always seems to happen there were a few exceptions to those corfiddlers present who failed to meet up with the bulk of us, despite the publicity of the various plans that had been posted here
Where were you Claudia for example??
Roll on the next 18 months.
John

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

Last edited by johnfowles; 05-15-2008 at 03:37 PM. Reason: many inevitable corrections since I was unable to preview accursed dial up again friggin around
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:56 PM   #7
Dream Street Rose

Nice post Sir John. Thank you for sharing.

Dame Rose
Old 05-15-2008, 06:02 PM   #8
Jesse Joe

Beautiful pics John. Thank's for sharing them.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:41 PM   #9
814scenic

Sir John,
It is an honor and pleasure for me to hear from you! Thank you for adding your get well wishes. All of the good "vibes" are much appreciated and, quite frankly, needed. Many thanks also for your answers to my questions and the pictures are great! And yes, if Gord and the orchestra, are at Massey Hall November 2009, I will have a front row seat!
"Baroness" Sharon
Old 05-15-2008, 07:13 PM   #10
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

To quote Gord, on stage, "If I'm still standing, I'll see you here in 18 months".
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:19 PM   #11
814scenic

Thanks Val,
I hadn't heard that before. Very good news!
Old 05-15-2008, 07:33 PM   #12
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 814scenic View Post
Thanks Val,
I hadn't heard that before. Very good news!
I actually was surprised that nobody mentioned it. I was saving it for my web site, but when you said what you did here I just had to respond! He didn't say it in a whisper, but even if he did, there were Corfid folks all around me so they all must have heard.
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:35 PM   #13
charlene

Gord said it onstage.."if we're all still standing in 18 months ..."
Sounds like he's got things planned out for the next while...
I spoke with Claudia a few different times and places Sir John! Including in front of the Massey stage..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:43 PM   #14
mandoann

Hello to all -

I don't know where to start! This is bringing back memories of last Wednesday and Thursday. One distinct memory was the great performance of The Last Time at the jam. (I've figured out the first part of the intro so far. Sorry I missed the mandolin player on Friday!) I also remember sharing dinner at the E & C on Thursday before the concert.
But the greatest memory was meeting the man (and all of the band) due to fantastic luck (which would never have happened without this Forum)!

Best wishes to you, Sharon! I hope we will all be together for Massey 2009!

- if you meet him you will be/ the victim of his minstrelsy/ he'll sing for you a song

"You could wrap me around your finger"
mandoann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:52 AM   #15
charlene

E&C is right at the corner by the Delta-on Yonge at Gerrard. It's been there for about 5 years I think..nice place..City Grill is nice too..I liked the new menu..Lisa and I are there quite often..good memories are there..

Next time bring your mandolin Ann!! You can join the folks onstage for a tune or two..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote