banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 10-16-2010, 09:52 AM   #1
redhead

Default Paramount Theater, Aurora, IL

SET LIST:

Did She Mention My Name
Carefree Highway
Sea of Tranquility
14-Karat Gold
Never Too Close
A Painter Passing Through
Let It Ride
Clouds of Loneliness
The Pony Man
Beautiful
The Watchman’s Gone
Ribbon of Darkness
Sundown
The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

INTERMISSION

Sweet Guinevere
Cotton Jenny
Restless
Home From The Forest
In My Fashion
Make Way For The Lady
As Fine As Fine Can Be
If You Could Read My Mind
Don Quixote
Baby Step Back
Early Morning Rain
Song For a Winter’s Night

ENCORE

Old Dan’s Records

Gordon walked out on stage to very warm reception. The acoustics were great and the volume was just fine. He mentioned that it was three years since he last played in Aurora, City of Lights, and that the last time he did, Spider John Koerner performed as his opening act.

The show proceeded as usual. He mentioned that Clouds of Loneliness was his favorite song off of HARMONY, and he explained the circumstances surrounding how the CD was made with regard to his illness. He dedicated The Pony Man to a girl named Margie and before he sang The Watchman’s Gone, he said he was about to “let the vocal hang out” on the next one. It sounded great. He mentioned Marty Robbins with regard to Ribbon of Darkness, and that As Fine as Fine Can Be was written for his eldest daughter Ingrid when she was ten years old, “some years ago”.

We heard the usual “hare” and “boulder” jokes.

He said that performing in the Chicago area always reminds him of days when he used to play at Ravinia, and how much better he felt the acoustics are here at the Paramount (Ravinia is an outdoor venue). He humbly went on to mentioned how proud he was to play in a theater where so many well known people before him have played.

The audience was quiet and polite with the exception of one obnoxious dude in the balcony yelling “GORDY” (so disrespectful) during the second set after the alcohol took hold. Fortunately, the people seated around me were quiet and considerate of one another.

I was thrilled to hear songs that I haven’t heard him perform live in quite some time. He put on a wonderful show and when I got home, I decided to write this post while everything was still fresh in my mind so as to keep the memory of this lovely evening alive.

Question to anyone out there who may know: What cause is Gordon supporting with regard to the yellow bracelet on his wrist?

redhead
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Paramount Theater, Aurora, IL

I believe the wristband says "WOLF".. and I meant to ask him in Buffalo but forgot...
AS sad as Clouds of Loneliness is I do love that song..
Glad you got to hear some old gems and that he sounded great.
And again I note that there hasn't been a mention of the sound being too low at any shows on this tour..
Thanks for staying up late and posting your report and setlist!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:07 PM   #3
charlene

WOLF GIRL
http://www.entertainmentearth.com/pr...number=NC20774
- yellow wristband..
photos from June 16, 2010 - Greensburg PA
http://www.flickr.com/photos/moodyla...7605568043180/ click on pic. go to ACTIONS..then view in original size..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4714286118_91aef71a21_o.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	3864   Click image for larger version

Name:	4713648535_b8cb861aa7_o.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	460.6 KB
ID:	3865   Click image for larger version

Name:	4713647127_44ba23fcc1_o[1].jpg
Views:	479
Size:	424.4 KB
ID:	3866   Click image for larger version

Name:	NC20774lg.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	3867  
Old 10-16-2010, 11:07 PM   #4
Peter Bro10

Please pardon my late entry here, but I did attend the Paramount show last night (Oct. 15, 2010) also. Brought with me my mother (79), sister (50 something), and oldest daughter (26). It was my daughter's first Lightfoot concert.

We had pretty decent seats... 6th row on the left side... nice angle for watching Gord and Terry play at the same time! I was paying special attention to the guitar work as I'm learning to play guitar.

My thoughts were much along the same lines as redhead (Special thanks to redhead for the setlist!). I thought Gord was doing very well, a nice mix on the setlist...

One memorable moment I recall... He got more applause than he expected on Ponyman (at least I pretty sure it was Ponyman)... He had a very surprised look as the applause went on. His expression was saying very clearly "wow, they really liked that one!"

All in all it was a great evening! Would have been nice to get backstage passes, but I knew all along that that would be a long shot.

Oh, and by the way, I too thought the old jokes are getting a little too old! Maybe we corfidians could come up with thread here and add our one-liners to submit for Gord's consideration? Can't do any worse!

Peter Bro10
Peter Bro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:15 PM   #5
charlene

I found Ponyman has rec'd great responses in the last several concerts I've seen. Perhaps the story behind it touches us. And he does a lovely job of it too.

I just read a concert review of Paul Anka's concert at Massey Hall on Thursday night. He's here for The Canadian Walk of Fame events. Apparently he too has some corny old jokes too...he's 69.
don't know what they were but sometimes you can't teach an old dog a new trick..lol
Last night Burton Cummings was there.. he's about 63 I think. I wonder what/if his jokes might have been.
So many commonalities with all three of them...
Old 10-17-2010, 09:00 AM   #6
redhead

I actually sent a paperback book to EMP last year entitled "77 Clean Jokes", hoping that maybe that could help in providing some new material.

Apparently, he didn't like any of those, lol!

redhead
Old 10-17-2010, 09:07 AM   #7
redhead

Char: Thank you for the link with regard to the bracelet, although I'm still not sure as to what it means. Did I understand it correctly to mean that it wards off vampires? If so, I had no idea that this was such a huge problem, lol. Then again, it will be Halloween in a few days!

redhead

Last edited by redhead; 10-17-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:54 AM   #8
charlene

I have no idea what it means either..I don't watch those Twilight movies. Perhaps his daughter is a fan and gave it to him. Perhaps he's a fan of the movies. Maybe he knows something we don't... beware!
lol
We know what it says..that's part one..
(it would have been so much easier if the damn thing said SAVE THE WOLVES)
Old 10-17-2010, 11:19 AM   #9
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
I actually sent a paperback book to EMP last year entitled "77 Clean Jokes", hoping that maybe that could help in providing some new material.
too funny!...well, that hare one is pretty dirty...it's time he cleand up his act

i would trade in some jokes for some more song intros that told of what the tune was about or what inspired the writing of it...that's actually what i've been mainly listening for (besides instrumental flavouring) this past decade

ths for the review...i'm hearing the voice is in relatively good form this tour
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:26 AM   #10
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
ths for the review...i'm hearing the voice is in relatively good form this tour
good form and no sound issues...it's all good!
Old 10-18-2010, 05:20 PM   #11
Kelly Davis

My family of 5 was there Friday night. We were running late (drove 4 hours to get there). About 1/2 hour from Aurora I got pulled over for speeding (NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). Praise the Lord, just a written warning.

We arrived to the front of the Paramount as Gordon is doing 'Let It Ride' ( we can hear it over the p.a. system out front). There is no worse feeling than listening to Gordon performing live from the sidewalk of a concert you are late for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, we got settled in for a great show. I think Gord's voice was fine Friday night. Got to hear "Sweet Guenevere" (almost a fast waltz tempo)and "Home From The Forest" live for the first time.

Meeting Gord and the band always makes the hassle all worth it. They were all very cordial. Terry sang my family part of a song from his late friend's album he is producing entitled "Posthumously Yours" (country format).

Got autographs and pics (I'll try to post them soon).
Kelly Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:35 PM   #12
charlene

oh good grief! a speeding warning! you missed 6 songs..i'd be frantic!!
lol
glad you got there safely tho and had such a great time!
Old 10-19-2010, 09:52 AM   #13
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Davis View Post
My family of 5 was there Friday night. We were running late (drove 4 hours to get there). About 1/2 hour from Aurora I got pulled over for speeding (NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). Praise the Lord, just a written warning.

RCMP and OPP will not even given a written warning for speeding if it's Lightfoot related...they all empathize, as for they know Gord starts at 8:00 sharp

note: above is tongue in cheek (where's the smiley face for that?)

well, not THAT is a family night out, thanks for the report
jj is offline   Reply With Quote