banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #76
niffer

Default Re: PRESS RELASE - CD songlist and cover picture

Char, your restraint is admirable and much appreciated

Personally, I am having a wonderful time in the car with Gord...I am driving the Jetta that used to belong to my son Andrew, and he made some, um, modifications to the sound system
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:31 PM   #77
Lisa J

Send a message via AIM to Lisa J

Quote:
Originally Posted by niffer View Post
Char, your restraint is admirable and much appreciated

Personally, I am having a wonderful time in the car with Gord...I am driving the Jetta that used to belong to my son Andrew, and he made some, um, modifications to the sound system
I imagine those "modifications" make the sound of this cd even more spectacular... so jealous! haha
Lisa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:01 PM   #78
Judy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa J View Post
I agree with your list, but I would add Christian Island. Guitar on that is incredible, especially in the car with the sound cranked up!
And I can't wait to see him in 12 days!
Love to be in agreement!

12 days? Hmmm...I am so jealous! We know you will have a wonderful time even though most of the rest of us won't be there We will be thinking of ya.

Last edited by Judy; 05-02-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #79
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Very strange
I have just found a Walmart page
http://www.walmart.com/ip/20606122?a...0&wl4=&wl5=pla
offering the new CD for only $10.88 (free delivery to a store but both the picture that illustrates it and the title of the listing are and I quote:-
"Massey Hall Moments: All Live"
And here is a screenshot as uploaded to my new dropbox account

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:34 AM   #80
Melissa

Perhaps all the previously-printed CD artwork (that was subsequently revised) didn't get tossed out after all.......it just got shipped to Wal-Mart! It almost makes it a collector's item. I think I might order one of the Wal-Mart ones as a spare!
(Reminds me of the Sit Down Young Stranger album being re-named to........uh, what was the name of that album? Can't remember.......some obscure Lightfoot tune........)

Melissa
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #81
charlene

WalMart Canada has the 'old' cover version online too. I will check the store nearby asap.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #82
TheWatchman

Love it!
Old 05-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #83
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

I have now had the chance to evaluate this welcome addition to the roster of official Lightfoot albums and in general I agree with the positive opinions already made here,
I was extremely pleased that the two songs that frequently appear on setlists up to and including last Thursday on Long Island. Restless and Let It Ride. are included.
(I never tire of hearing Gord carefully navigate through what must be the confusion his lyrics must cause him on Restless (iron- or over- cast or clad which is the correct pairing this time!?)
I have previously bemoaned the decision Gord made when handpicking suitable recordings not to include the third 2000/2001 unreleased but often played song Nighttime.
I thought that hitherto his Magic number was 20 yet there are only 19 tracks, Moreover the Total Running Time is only about 69 minutes leaving plenty of room on a standard 80 minute blank CD to include that song plus a few other omissions if you want to go to the trouble of compiling and burning an "All Live Plus" alternative for your own use.
If you have access to other recordings of the 1998/1999/2001 concerts you might choose for example:-
Forgive Me Lord,Beautiful, Same Old Obsession also from 11/11/99, or perhaps Never Too Close from the followimg night. or from 2001:-
Triangle or Minstrel Of The Dawn from the May 25th concert
Nightime or Sit Down Young Stranger from May 26th
I played my copy on a DVD player though the television monitor and the on screen display claimed that the disc's title was "Massey Hall Momemnts All Live, oh well.
My final comment is that although some tracks include the closing audience applause and Gord saying "'Thank You" it makes me appreciate even more the better bootlegs because usually the creator takes a single continuous recording and splits it into indivudual tracks but they retain all of the intersong applause and banter, therefore the resultant CD can be burnt with no gaps between tracks to simulate the continuous live concert experience, complete with Gord's groaners, band intoductions etc
OK that's my preference but I do know of fans who prefer a clean cut with no extraneous noise.

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:40 PM   #84
shustad

Got this 'Live' CD from Amazon today and am really looking forward to hearing it after all the nice comments posted here!
I've also got the old concert DVD, 'Live In Reno' (with okay sound, but absolutely horrid video quality), so something better live is nice. I really wish Gord would re-release the 'Live in Reno' on Blu-ray with remastered (Hi Def Lossless) audio & 1080p video, but alas...
Okay! - onto the CD listening sessions!