banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 01-22-2008, 05:14 PM   #1
ifchildrenhadwings

Default Hello

Hello fellow fans,

I have lurked around this page reading the posts for years, and even posted once. Now I have registered, and will still lurk around, but maybe I'm just a lurker by nature...

I have been a GL fan for a long time, and remember how difficult it was to get albums in Eastern Kentucky, where I grew up, and have just returned to. Much easier with the internet now to buy any CD. I have all the albums (CDs), except perhaps for a rehashed one or two that don't have any new material on them anyway. I would have to confess that I think his best material was in the 70s, but I like most of his stuff, and will support him as long as he wants to do this. I have seen him a half dozen times or so in concert in the late 80s and in the 90s, and he always did a fine show.

I'll look forward to some good discussions with other fans.
ifchildrenhadwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW
Default Re: Hello

Welcome aboard. It's always great to greet new members, after all you have been around for awhile already.

Looks like he'll be doing quite a few shows in 2008. Maybe some of us will see you at one of them. His shows are still wonderful by the way.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:12 PM   #3
New 12 String Mike

Welcome to the group. Don't lurk, just jump on in!
Old 01-22-2008, 06:38 PM   #4
Dream Street Rose

Welcome ifchildrenhadwings,

I am Dream Street Rose and you have now reached the level of fun here. I hope you will have a good time and join in regularly. Did you happen to catch the concert in Kentycky last year? Of course it was wonderful. Look forward to reading your posts and maybe meeting you during GordQuest 2008.

DSR
Old 01-22-2008, 06:52 PM   #5
podunklander

Hi wings,

We didn't have a record store in our small town so we relied on record clubs/mail order. There were stores in the towns east and west of us...but no buses. Our parents weren't too keen on driving us because they knew if they did, they might later regret that decision.

Ya so those of us in remote areas just didn't have as many resources back then. But we shared alot and would come to know who had what and where. Still, I thought what we had, what we heard of was all there was. Wasn't until I moved to the city that I realized I had been musically oppressed. I'm guessing you were (and are again) in an even more remote area.

Though I buy most of my CD's online, I still like to peruse the tag sales and flea markets. Our historical society gets donations of CD's for their used booksale fundraiser and I usally find some to buy. Never any of Gordon's though.

Glad you had a chance to post!
Old 01-22-2008, 06:57 PM   #6
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New 12 String Mike View Post
Please do. I sometimes wonder what new topics can be discussed, but since I can't remember what the last one was, who cares ? Lightfoot fans are always eager to share their thoughts. It's a good memory exercise.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:19 PM   #7
Borderstone

Hi "wings",Borderstone here! Welcome to the site and may I say I'm always glad to see new people taking part. I also applaud your choice of name,I wouldn't have had the courage to call myself that.

I too,like you,lurked for about 3 months before I signed up as Borderstone. In fact the end of next February will mark 5 years on the site for me.

I also have all of GL's albums,official & "y'know". May "fandom" goes back to 08/07/2001. Bought "Songbook" for no reason other than curiosity and then there was no doubt about it...this was "my" music.

Hope you stay as long too. Have fun and visit often. Bye now.

Last edited by Borderstone; 01-22-2008 at 07:22 PM.
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:05 PM   #8
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

Welcome to the forum IfChildrenHadWings. The 1976 tune "The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald" was what first got me started into GL when my dad had it downloaded onto the internet. But after awhile it was deleted, but he had the Gord's Gold Volume 2 version. I didn't like it as much as I did the original version. However, there were other songs on that album that I did like.
Later I got Summertime Dream (with the original on it) and even more later I got Songbook. I was able to compare a lot of the original tracks of songs with the re-recorded ones on GG2, and that's what REALLY got me hooked as a GL fan.
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:06 PM   #9
Jesse Joe

Hello Wings, Jesse Joe here. Welcoming you and hope you have Gordon Lightfoot stories to share. You are now officially a Lighthead...
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:45 PM   #10
charlene

welcome to CORFID!
don't be shy - jump right in and have a great time!

char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:07 PM   #11
Kerstin

Hi Wings,
welcome to Corfid from me, too. Have fun and post often.
Kerstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:38 AM   #12
ifchildrenhadwings

Thank you all (y'all) for the warm welcome. Speaking of looking for GL tapes or records in odd places, I recall finding a stash of Summer Side of Life 8 track tapes in a Newberry's store (locally called "the Dime Store") in Pineville, KY perhaps 25 or 30 years ago. I think I went back a couple of times, and finally wound up buying three or four of them, either at $1.99 or $2.99 each. I sure didn't have a lot of disposable income in those days, but I would always tend to buy any GL record or tape I would find in a bargain bin, partly because I couldn't bear to see his stuff so disregarded. I used to be so puzzled at how he wasn't better known, and didn't get more airplay, more Grammys, and more awards. It took me a long time to realize that the broader public really has poor taste in music (just look at some of the garbage that wins awards), and almost always goes for the novel, the catchy, the bubbly, the superficial... It also took me a long time to realize that it really doesn't matter that much - music is so much about personal preference anyway, and what resonates with one may leave another cold, etc., etc.

It must have been so frustrating for the artists like GL, to see schlock get all the record sales and awards, while his great stuff got very little notice. I would guess that it's better now, with fan groups like this one, showing their appreciation to the artist. I hope GL peruses this and similar sites sometimes and feels the love...

To hell with the Grammys anyway - Bob Marley defined a whole genre of music, and he never won any - at least while he was alive.

As far as my user name, If Children Had Wings is one of my top five GL favorites. I think it is pure genius, and it comes from a tremendous album, though one that is much maligned. I seem to have been shortened to "wings", and that's fine - the whole name is kinda unwieldy.

And, no, I didn't get to see GL in KY last year, but I'm going to make an effort to see him this year at one place or another. I'll let you know, and would be glad to meet any other fans.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:10 AM   #13
Jesse Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifchildrenhadwings View Post
"I would always tend to buy any GL record or tape I would find in a bargain bin, partly because I couldn't bear to see his stuff so disregarded. I used to be so puzzled at how he wasn't better known, and didn't get more airplay, more Grammys, and more awards."

"To hell with the Grammys anyway - Bob Marley defined a whole genre of music, and he never won any - at least while he was alive."

"As far as my user name, If Children Had Wings is one of my top five GL favorites. I think it is pure genius, and it comes from a tremendous album, though one that is much maligned. I seem to have been shortened to "wings", and that's fine - the whole name is kinda unwieldy."

Hi ifchildrenhadwings,

I will certainly agree with those statements. And as far as the song "If Children Had Wings", Gord wrote that for his first 2 kids Fred and Ingrid. That was told to me by Ingrid herself on a PM we had some time ago. Just thought you would like to know that if you didn't allready.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:46 PM   #14
brink-

Ooooh, a Bob Marley and Gordon Lightfoot fan!!! Are you a long lost relative? Do you like Buffett also? Those would have to be my top 3. Welcome to the board and I hope you enjoy it.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:18 PM   #15
talbot10

Quote:
Hello fellow fans,

I have lurked around this page reading the posts for years, and even posted once. Now I have registered, and will still lurk around, but maybe I'm just a lurker by nature...

I have been a GL fan for a long time, and remember how difficult it was to get albums in Eastern Kentucky, where I grew up, and have just returned to. Much easier with the internet now to buy any CD. I have all the albums (CDs), except perhaps for a rehashed one or two that don't have any new material on them anyway. I would have to confess that I think his best material was in the 70s, but I like most of his stuff, and will support him as long as he wants to do this. I have seen him a half dozen times or so in concert in the late 80s and in the 90s, and he always did a fine show.

I'll look forward to some good discussions with other fans.

Welcome to the group! Enjoy.
Bill Hall
Old 01-23-2008, 09:01 PM   #16
timetraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by New 12 String Mike View Post
As he says, just jump on in. That's how I got involved & I've been having a ball ever since.
timetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:28 AM   #17
Nightingale

ifchildrenhadwings...nice to meet you.
I am new here as well. I have already learned a great deal about Gordon and his music and people here are extremely nice.

Love your screen name and your home state. Kentucky is so beautiful and I am planning another trip there this summer.
Hope you hang around and talk...we can be newbies together...lol.
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:08 AM   #18
Jesse Joe

Hey Kerstin had you notice this ?

That ifchidrenhadwings lives in Kentucky, might be your neighbour one day ?
Old 01-24-2008, 09:39 AM   #19
ifchildrenhadwings

Hi brink,

I do like Buffett, though I don't rise to the level of Parrotthead, I don't expect. I think I liked his music better before his Icon status. Lots of respect to the Parrotheads, and to Jimmy, but that's just my preference and opinion. It must be a heavy burden - being an Icon, and very difficult to try new directions without disappointing a lot of the followers. I have the box set, and it has some really nice stuff on it. I also like how he acknowledges GL's influence, and that he and GL are friends. "The Captain and the Kid" and "Incommunicado" are really good songs from the box set. I also really like how he and his fans genuinely seem to have a great time at his shows.

I could be a long-lost relative. I have lots of relatives, mostly cousins, that I've never met, or haven't seen in a long time. I could be sitting next to one of them and wouldn't know it.

I like most music, although I never have really been too much into jazz, and I'm not sure why. Music to me is pretty much just three kinds: that I like, that I don't like, and that I am ambivalent about. On compilation discs I burn sometimes for road trips, I may mix Reggae with Gospel, Folk with R&B, Honkey-tonk with Classical or Celtic, Bluegrass with the Allman Bros. It all listens pretty well if I like the songs. I love music, but have not one shred of musical ability myself - lotta Soul, but no rhythm.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:51 AM   #20
ifchildrenhadwings

Thanks, Jesse Joe, I don't think I did know that about ICHW. I seem to recall that GL was rather cryptic in the box set notes about that one. I think that's usually better, anyway. Was Ingrid the daughter he wrote "Fine As Fine Can Be" for? A wonderful song, and if I'm ever lucky enough to have a daughter, I will sure play it (the CD track, that is) for her many times...
Old 01-24-2008, 09:59 AM   #21
Jesse Joe

Yes indeed, "Fine As Fine Can Be" was written for Ingrid !
Old 01-24-2008, 12:19 PM   #22
gwen snyder

Hello ifchildrenhadwings, (what a beautiful song that is...)
Really, I think Gord has maintained his artist quality because he has never been the beast of burden/whippin boy for the recording industry (he changed that). All the more important is Gord's comments about being involved with his fan population. To him, we are the reason for his music to be remembered, APPT. A moment in time. Each of our contributions to Gords artistic abilities enables Gord music to be relevant.
Glad you posted this...
Old 01-24-2008, 02:32 PM   #23
podunklander

Quote:
Thank you all (y'all) for the warm welcome. Speaking of looking for GL tapes or records in odd places, I recall finding a stash of Summer Side of Life 8 track tapes in a Newberry's store (locally called "the Dime Store") in Pineville, KY perhaps 25 or 30 years ago. I think I went back a couple of times, and finally wound up buying three or four of them, either at $1.99 or $2.99 each. I sure didn't have a lot of disposable income in those days, but I would always tend to buy any GL record or tape I would find in a bargain bin, partly because I couldn't bear to see his stuff so disregarded. I used to be so puzzled at how he wasn't better known, and didn't get more airplay, more Grammys, and more awards. It took me a long time to realize that the broader public really has poor taste in music (just look at some of the garbage that wins awards), and almost always goes for the novel, the catchy, the bubbly, the superficial... It also took me a long time to realize that it really doesn't matter that much - music is so much about personal preference anyway, and what resonates with one may leave another cold, etc., etc.

It must have been so frustrating for the artists like GL, to see schlock get all the record sales and awards, while his great stuff got very little notice. I would guess that it's better now, with fan groups like this one, showing their appreciation to the artist. I hope GL peruses this and similar sites sometimes and feels the love...

To hell with the Grammys anyway - Bob Marley defined a whole genre of music, and he never won any - at least while he was alive.

As far as my user name, If Children Had Wings is one of my top five GL favorites. I think it is pure genius, and it comes from a tremendous album, though one that is much maligned. I seem to have been shortened to "wings", and that's fine - the whole name is kinda unwieldy.

And, no, I didn't get to see GL in KY last year, but I'm going to make an effort to see him this year at one place or another. I'll let you know, and would be glad to meet any other fans.
wings- I would think that Gordon's earlier recordings had relatively respectable sales. As far as airplay...mid-late 60's I surely can recall hearing songs like Pussywillows, Cattails and Early Morning Rain everyday on the radio. These songs and some others of his were being played right up there with all the other 'easy listening' songs of the day.

This is when he first became widely known and very popular...he was a pretty big deal. His level of popularity and not the heaviest of record sales was more related to the audience his music appealed to at the time, how his music was being marketed, amount of exposure, etc.

I would tend to think that rather than being frustrated, Gordon would have extremely pleased (and must still be) even estatic that his music was being played right along with 'softer' Beatles songs like Yesterday, Dionne Warwick's Bacharach songs and so on. Not too shabby!

His music appealed more to the older generation, rather than the teenagers at that time. My mother was in her early 40's during the mid-60's, buying his records. Had it not been that she was in her late 30's when I was born and I was young enough to be still at home and hearing these songs played during my nap time...I wouldn't have been exposed to his music until his later songs and more far-reaching exposure in the 70's.

Just timing there for me...that I wasn't yet in school and even while in Kindergarten and still taking naps when I got home. My mother always had to have the easy listening station on for me. And ended up that when I finally got my own radio, I had to have it playing at bedtime and all through the night. A habit that I didn't break until my son was a toddler.

So I kinda have to disagree with you about the broader public having poor taste. I think we have to consider what's relative here and not forget about the older generation.

I have yet to come across anyone of that generation who isn't familiar with Gordon. They have liked his music throughout the years..from the very first time it was marketed. This was his fan base and not so much the teenaged baby boomers. I'm mainly referring to - people like my mother's age (she would have been 83 this year) and older. If I mention Gordon Lightfoot to anyone who by now is in their late 80's early 90's...these are of that generation that were Lightfoot's 1st and earliest fans. They all immediately know who he is and that's stemming way back to those early years and into his more widely popular times.

Of course, I wouldn't be so familar with how popular Gordon has been with the older generation if not for my very early exposure and that I have spent much time with this generation through my work.

Pam
Old 01-24-2008, 05:44 PM   #24
gwen snyder

Pam, you are quite right. I remember my mother and father had Gord's LPs and listened to them quite frequently on Sunday evening's (amongst other artist's). When the 70's came and I heard the music that Gord wrote and sang in the 70's, I was surprised that my mom and dad knew of him (Sundown and Sit Down Young Stranger are startlingly different). Those Gord songs on Sunday nights were very different from the 70's and later Gord. My dad was surprised when I was surprised that they listened to Gord. I grew up in a house of music, let me correct that, a house of musicians performing music. We are lucky that Gord has made it this far folks...
Old 01-24-2008, 08:42 PM   #25
podunklander

What a nice memory of your parent's listening to Gord! And that he crossed over to the younger generation (especially with IYCRMM and Sundown, et. al). Yeah, lucky us!

geez and had I been a little younger - probably would have been too young to remember 1st hearing these earlier songs. A little older - I would have been in school during the day. So just little wee me (and my beloved thumb) on the couch in the living room with the radio playing.

My mother had at least one of Gord's albums -was Back Here on Earth. I used to play that alot after Sundown came out.

Last year -after the 1st time I saw Gord and one of my uncle's (he's 71) found out...well that's all he talks about now whenever I see him. And no matter where we are he tells anybody and everybody about all the performances I went to last year and how I got to meet Gord. Even after one of my aunt's wake I could hear him in the next room telling my Uncle Bill and Aunt Mabel this, and everyone at the table were rattling off the names of Gord's songs.

He gets all excited and goes on and on about how he and my aunt love to watch Gord and the band from the Reno show he taped on VHS when it aired on PBS. And then he gets quiet, and with a little grimace on his face says, "eh, but dit'idn't come out too goodya know I had to use am old tape that had been recorded on a bit before."

So the last time I saw my uncle the weekend before Thanksgiving -I was still walking across the yard to their house and he practically came bolting out the front door, "hey Pam, guess whose birthday it was yesterday?" (Of course I knew right away but I played it up a little with the 'ahhh, ummm hmmm gee let me guess') "Oh ya I guess you would know that" he said. And then ugh he told me for the umpteenth time about the Live in Reno tape.

Before I left, I asked one of my cousins if his folks had a DVD player (yes) and I sent my aunt and uncle a new DVD for XMas.

After XMas when I was talking to my aunt on the phone (my uncle was taking down the tree) - my aunt was saying how nice it was that I sent the DVD. Heard my uncle in the background, "Is that Pam?" and he yelled out 'thank you Pam' and he said that 1st thing he did XMas morn after opening the present - he put it in the DVD player and had it running all day long. He said that he and my aunt hadn't had a chance to sit down together to watch it yet though.

Sometimes I think my uncle gets more excited about me going to Gord's shows than I do! hehe I think it's cute too how he always has to mention Sundown. "Man, I gotta tell you that's one good song, I really like that song that's a good song." And that's usually the point when I know he's done talking about Gord and gets going on religion and politics and laying into me about how I'm not a good 'Catlic'.