banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 11-19-2003, 07:01 PM   #1
CoryM

Hi, I'm new to this site and can tell there are many very knowledgeable GL folks here! I am thankful for this site and appreciate joining you.

My question is can someone briefly elaborate on why many of GL's songs seem to be tinged with sadness and/or longing reflection about love?

I feel my identification with his music is attached because of these two attributes and wondered if there were reasons why.

Thanks again for the forum.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 07:45 PM   #2
SomewhereupinMichigan

Simplest answer to your question is the obvious one. Gord writes about his life experiences. He's been very experienced in sadness-tinged, longing-reflection love affairs.
SomewhereupinMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 08:10 PM   #3
CoryM

Thanks somewhere. Probably a dumb question huh?
Old 11-19-2003, 08:14 PM   #4
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

CoryM,

Welcome aboard, no questions are dumb, ask anything. Well sometimes me and the Watchman appear dumb, I'm not sure why but as soon as we are someone will jump in and point it out. But this is the best place in the world for Gordon Lightfoot related questions, so please post them whenever you feel like it.

Peace,

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 08:24 PM   #5
CoryM

Thanks Bill.

I love the music/lyrics and really find it a much deeper experience than just listening to what I'll term "ordinary" music. Over the years I've been a casual listener until recently, but his words have helped me through some tough times.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:46 PM   #6
SomewhereupinMichigan

Cory: As BillW said, No questions are dumb. I hope I didn't sound "flip" with my response either. Your question was a good one and, unfortunately for Gord, I think my answer pretty much sums up where those themes originate.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:04 AM   #7
DMD3

When you listen to his songs, something about them tells you he's singing from expierences of the past. I don't know if it's the tune or the lyrics, but there's something about them.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:57 AM   #8
CoryM

Thank you all for replying. I appreciate it. I also really, really appreciate this site.

Since, my first post I have been listening more to the songs that are not what the world would term "commercial successes", but to me they are just as beautiful and powerful as the radio standards. I am starting to understand and see the life experiences in the songs.

I'm seeing that GL is very private and I understand and respect that. His music does get to me deep and mirrors some past and present feelings and I'm so interested right now in looking into the connection and identifying if it for myself. Is it because I'm reflective and a romantic who is also interested in past historical incidents that for some reason affected me, e.g. the EF and Kent State? I don't know....do you understand where I'm coming from with this? Can you explain your connection? Maybe it would help me. Thanks again all.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:24 PM   #9
SomewhereupinMichigan

Sure Cory! Here's my story: I've been a devoted Gord-head since 1970-71 when I first heard his music. I would describe myself also as a romantic, with a real interest in history and actual events. Gord's music has always meant something more to me than a lot of pop artists simply because he does invest so much of himself in his music. With GL you can tell that his songs really come from the heart...most of what he performs is his own material. You can't say that about a lot of singers. Because the songs have greater meaning to Gord, they tend to burrow deeper into one's own psyche, I think. There is a real depth to his songwriting that is, sadly, lacking in today's music; even with some of today's most popular performers. And besides, as my dear departed mother would have told you, you can understand what he is singing!
Old 11-20-2003, 03:51 PM   #10
Borderstone

Hi,CoryM! Borderstone here,welcoming you to Lightville! In another answer to your question,I think the times Gord has lived through,mainly the 60's,attributed to his style. Also because of the folk music movement of that time.

You know,I still like Gord's pop single successes but I've heard them so many times and am so enjoying getting to know the rest of his work,they're almost secondary to the rest. If I only knew the hits,I sure couldn't say I know GL's music very well. Especially after seeing him in concert Aug. 6th,2002 and meeting him afterwards. (For autographs,getting to shake his hand & even talking for just a few brief moments.)

I'm always glad to see a new GL "Avid Listner". Post at you later!

------------------
Borderstone (Hello! )
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote