banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2002, 10:01 PM   #1
ColoradoSue

Send a message via AIM to ColoradoSue

Folks:
Looks like Gordy won't return to the stage till October....see below:

Canadian folk-rock legend Gordon Lightfoot recovering in hospital in Hamilton

HAMILTON (CP) - Shaken band members and family who had been standing watch at the bedside of Canadian folk-rock icon Gordon Lightfoot were relieved at the news Sunday he'd likely make a full recovery from emergency surgery on his stomach. Lightfoot, 63, was to perform in his home town of Orillia, Ont., on Saturday, but experienced stomach pains and was rushed to McMaster University Health Centre in Hamilton by air ambulance.

"This is a difficult time for the whole family," Rick Haynes, a long-time friend of Lightfoot and member of his band, told a news conference outside the hospital Sunday.

"I've known Gord for 35 years and I can't remember the last time he was in a hospital. So this is a different experience and it's challenging for everyone. We've been up all night."

Haynes said Lightfoot was being cared for by doctors who specialize in gastrointestinal problems. But he couldn't elaborate further on the cause of Lightfoot's illness or give details of the surgery.

Lightfoot was in the intensive care unit and was conscious, Haynes said.

"He's definitely getting better. He's not in as much pain as he was in yesterday ... We're looking at recovery now."

He credited the likelihood of recovery to Lightfoot's healthy habits.

"He works out four days a week and he runs 10 miles a week. The doctor told us that his excellent health will help in what we hope will be a speedy recovery," said Haynes.

That was great news for Valerie Magee, a Lightfoot fan who runs a Web site devoted to the singer-songwriter.

Fans who had been waiting for Lightfoot to take the stage in Orillia learned from his manager that he was in hospital with stomach problems and posted the news on Magee's site.

"Last night all of us net-people, that's what Gord calls his Internet fans, were devastated. Now that we've heard he's recovering, we just want him to know his lyrics have helped us get through so much and we are thinking about him," she said in an interview from Rowayton, Conn.

Barry Harvey, Lightfoot's manager, said word of the illness took him completely by surprise.

But after a visit to the hospital Sunday afternoon, Harvey said he had his fingers crossed that Lightfoot would be healthy again soon.

"The doctor says he needs some recuperation time, and that he'll be fine," said Harvey.

"He's a strong individual and he's a strong-willed individual. He'll be fine, I'm sure."

Lightfoot's wife, Elizabeth, who was at her husband's side, thanked his fans for their concern but begged them to respect the couple's privacy.

Lightfoot had been scheduled to appear at the Opera House in Orillia on Saturday. But Lightfoot arrived at the hospital Saturday evening and had to be transferred to Hamilton early Sunday, said Glen Penwarden, executive director at Orillia's Soldiers' Memorial Hospital, north of Toronto.

Lightfoot, whose accolades include the Order of Canada and the Governor General's Performing Arts Award, was inducted into the Canadian Broadcast Hall of Fame during its 75th annual convention last October. The composer of historical classics The Canadian Railroad Trilogy and The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald was the fifth musician to receive the honour.

This year he released a greatest hits compilation and has been touring to promote it. Over the next eight months, Lightfoot had more than 20 concerts scheduled in Atlantic Canada, Toronto and across the United States.

But the illness means Lightfoot is not expected to take the stage again until October, Harvey said.

The Stratford Festival, where Lightfoot was scheduled to perform Monday night, was getting in touch with some 1,600 ticketholders Sunday to let them know the concert wouldn't be taking place.

All six of the musician's east coast tour dates were cancelled Sunday, said Harvey. Scheduled performances in Moncton, N.B., Charlottetown, Halifax, Saint John, N.B., Sydney, N.S., and St. John's, Nfld., this month will not be taking place.

But a series of upcoming dates in the United States, beginning Oct. 17 with a show in East Lansing, Mich., were "expected to be quite secure at this time," Harvey said.

Lightfoot, who was born Nov. 17, 1938, in Orillia, joined a who's who of Canadian music talent during a Live From Rideau Hall TV concert in June.

The entertainer has had five Grammy nominations and has won 17 Juno Awards, including 15 between 1965 and '78. In 1986, was inducted into the Canadian Recording Industry Hall of Fame.

Anne Murray, who is to be inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame on Monday, led a tribute to Lightfoot during last year's awards show.

News of his illness hit hard among country music organizers gathering in Calgary for the Canadian Country Music Awards on Monday.

"Gordon Lightfoot has always been a very private man and we respect the wishes of his family at this time," Randy Stark, president of the Canadian Country Music Association, said in a statement.

"He's a cherished member of our community, and Canada's family of legendary entertainers. The news of his illness is a shock to our members and we send our prayers and strength to Gordon and his family."

ColoradoSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 10:29 PM   #2
bacall

Glad to hear the encouraging news, and hope Gord gets better soon!
bacall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 01:19 AM   #3
Tom

I'm so glad to hear some good news! I really felt bad yesterday when I heard the news he was in critical condition. Thank God he is going to make it! I can't imagine a world without him.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 01:46 AM   #4
Gord's a Canadian Icon...

......no bells or whistles....just a note to you sir to say thanks for sharing your music with me....you are a part of me.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:30 PM   #5
brink

Another Kathryn this sort of tells you what went on in 2002. We were all quite worried. It was a long time before we got news and we still don't know the whole story. But he is better and that' what we wanted. He did have several more surgeries after this one.
Deb
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 12:01 AM   #6
searam

Please excuse me, but I was in the studio all day today. Has Gord been hospitalised, again? Please tell me this is some flashback from 2002! Someone, please let me know!!!!
Sean
searam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 02:46 AM   #7
SilverHeels

quote:Originally posted by searam:
Please excuse me, but I was in the studio all day today. Has Gord been hospitalised, again? Please tell me this is some flashback from 2002! Someone, please let me know!!!!
Sean

Sean,
check the date of the messages! Brink was trying to help Kathryn get up to date on Gord's health situation. Relax,pal,and
get some sleep.

SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 08:33 PM   #8
brink

Sorry Sean! Deep breathes now.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote