banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
T.G.

Default Video: Lightfoot on Q TV

T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Video: Lightfoot on Q TV

I wondered if there'd be a video as some of their other interviews on "Q" were archived with video!
yeehaw!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:02 PM   #3
jj

way to go, TG....i gave up checking if it would appear...i figured GL had agreed to do the interview as an no-video deal, same way he did The Hour as a no-audience deal...Gord looks good

i wonder how these folks get such a long video to load to youtube...i get restricted to 10 minutes, any clues as to why?

ps) those QTV archives are as fun as going through The Hour ones...Bill Shatner is a fun 2 parter...Jian (have you got it right yet, char? lol ) does pretty well in all
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:36 PM   #4
Dave, Melbourne,Australia

Thanks, TG. Great interview. Yes, I can imagine Willie Nelson singing "A Passing Ship". This morning, I heard Gord's "If You Could Read My Mind" played on Whitehorse Boroondara Community Radio from their studio at the Box Hill Town Hall. That's as local as I could get, only a mile from my home. Also within a mile, as I noticed driving past recently, is Lightfoot St, Mont Albert.
Dave, Melbourne,Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:49 PM   #5
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave, Melbourne,Australia View Post
I noticed driving past recently, is Lightfoot St, Mont Albert.
has anyone ever been to Lightfoot (York county), Virginia? I see there is a Lightfoot Road in that community

also, has anyone dined at the impressive looking Lightfoot Restaurant? what is (and NEEDS TO BE) on that menu?lol
http://www.lightfootrestaurant.com/dinner.cfm
Old 04-06-2009, 09:56 PM   #6
joveski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave, Melbourne,Australia View Post
That's as local as I could get, only a mile from my home. Also within a mile, as I noticed driving past recently, is Lightfoot St, Mont Albert.
we should get out phone books out and see what other lightfoot streets there are down here!
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:00 PM   #7
RJ

This is outstanding..
Much obliged!..
Lightfoot is relaxed and candid..
and the interviewer is excellent..
Best I've seen..
RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:32 PM   #8
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by podunklander View Post
yeah that blue plate special looks um...well I've been craving a cheeseburger all day and settled for a pan of beets instead.

there is a Lightfoot Burger on the cafe menu....come with (Big) Blue cheese or cheddar...

great gift for any corfidians in the area would be this type of gift certificate http://www.lightfootrestaurant.com/gift.cfm

nice list, slamdunklander ...wonder if there's a Bach Door Inn
Old 04-06-2009, 10:40 PM   #9
charlene

Love those Lightfoot gift coins they use as Gift Certificates..very cool!
Old 04-06-2009, 10:54 PM   #10
podunklander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
there is a Lightfoot Burger on the cafe menu....come with (Big) Blue cheese or cheddar...

great gift for any corfidians in the area would be this type of gift certificate http://www.lightfootrestaurant.com/gift.cfm

nice list, slamdunklander ...wonder if there's a Bach Door Inn
Not in this movie, bucko .
Old 04-07-2009, 09:15 AM   #11
patybear

I finally watched the whole interview last night.What a great program!Thanks for posting this,T.G.
patybear
patybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:03 AM   #12
imported_Next_Saturday

Thanks for posting this. Funny, I can very much hear Willie Nelson do "A Passing Ship" too. It would've been great...
Old 04-07-2009, 06:21 PM   #13
patybear

Default ok,now I get it.

Gang,you're probably going to think I've been out of my mind when you read what I'm about to say,but here goes.I have to admit I've never really understood what Gordy was trying to say in,'If You Could
Read My Mind'. But yesterday,I finally finished watching the Lightfoot on Q tv interview.He was talking about what he saw comming down the line with his marridge to Brita comming to an end.Now I 'get' IYCRMM.

I grew up listenig to IYCRMM.Its still my favorite G.L. song(probably always will be).There just something(I can't explain it)about it that
pulls at my heart.
patybear
Old 04-07-2009, 07:00 PM   #14
RM

Default Re: ok,now I get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patybear View Post
Gang,you're probably going to think I've been out of my mind when you read what I'm about to say
Don't be silly. However, I do suggest that you keep that prescription filled. I love how he refers to such times in life as periods of "emotional trauma". Who hasn't been there ? The song is universal.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:02 PM   #15
jj

pb, there's an QTV thread (and a radio one) where folks have been commenting on the interview, those who can stay on topic anyhow!, and you should add this and any other thoughts to stir the topic even more

it's the greatest thing to come along in a while (debatedly, ever) and i hope all chime in on a variety of items

as i mentioned in a prior reply, if you get Songbook, the booklet has Gord commenting on each song (for eg. he mentions IYCRMM is about the breakup of the marriage at the time and he goes on from there)...the bonus is, there's also some decent music included, lol

sometimes I'll hear this tune on AM radio in the background and pause to once again remind myself how great a piece of work it is...many of his popular tunes that i've heard thousands of times, well, i often just take them for granted...and, i shouldn't punish the tune just becuase i've heard it covered so many times in so many unsettling ways
Old 04-07-2009, 08:46 PM   #16
patybear

Maybe I should move this topic to the thread about the Q-TV.interview.
Char,could you do that for me please?
patybear
Old 04-08-2009, 06:29 PM   #17
Don Quixote

Finally got the chance to look at this interview. It's outstanding, and the host, although often reading from notes, was also very knowledgeable, and did a great job of moving through the chronology. You can also tell he's a fan.

It's the first time I've heard any real comments about "A Passing Ship", and I'm glad that Gord likes it as much as I do. On a thread some time ago, I think I called it his last truly great song (now don't take offense--I love a bunch of the later stuff, but we're talking top 10-20 among his very best, even though the "Give me no lip" line rubs some the wrong way).

Where we disagree is on the first recording of the Trilogy. The energy generated by the speed of the middle perfectly reflects the tone of the song--slowly speeding up to the velocity of a train running at full speed, relentless like the destiny of the growing country. Sorry, Gord, but what do you know about music? ☺ I do agree with the tempos (or "tempi", as my wife the violinist would say) of the "Gord's Gold" recording, and I also think that the orchestration is too lush and overdone, that it loses its momentum before the final part of the song and never really gets it back.

Great interview; many thanks for finding it.
DQ
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:40 PM   #18
JohnStinson

Great interview.!!

Best parts, for me, were his stammerings over why there are no more women. Loved it. ' ..the cost too much money.."

And Gords own words that he had 220 songs. While this is not definitive... we give the author a plus or minus 10 songs to recall how many he has released. (i harken back to an old thread on how many songs he has)
JohnStinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:50 PM   #19
T.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
Where we disagree is on the first recording of the Trilogy. The energy generated by the speed of the middle perfectly reflects the tone of the song--slowly speeding up to the velocity of a train running at full speed, relentless like the destiny of the growing country. Sorry, Gord, but what do you know about music? ☺ I do agree with the tempos (or "tempi", as my wife the violinist would say) of the "Gord's Gold" recording, and I also think that the orchestration is too lush and overdone, that it loses its momentum before the final part of the song and never really gets it back.

DQ
I agree with you ... I heard the Gord's Gold version first, then was really blown away when I heard the original. I love how it speeds up to a fever pitch then eases off again -- extreme dynamics. Great stuff!
T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:49 AM   #20
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
You can also tell he's a fan.
great post, dq...i just file 'no lip' with 'stub my toe' and grin

as i harked in the radio interview thread, the host is also, for starters, a musician ...although, perhaps not in the same league as billy bob (thinks he is...) Thornton pout

did gord used to wimper or pull a phoenix if anyone would mention his past musical endeavors during any harry tracey interviews?
Old 04-09-2009, 07:10 AM   #21
charlene

Jian handled Billy Boob Thornton remarkably well. What BBT deserved was a cuff in the head and kick in the arse out the door.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:53 PM   #22
RJ

re: BBT deserved was a cuff in the head and kick in the arse out the door.

I agree with you.. I caught this the other day and was thinking about it this morning..
He behaved like a petulant child..
and this guy aint no kid..
He's a grown man etc..
It's a bit shameful really..
Should take a lesson from Gord's philosophy actually..
"Be known as a man who will always be candid.."..
etc..
etc..
etc..
Old 04-10-2009, 09:20 PM   #23
charlene

apparently he's left the Willie Nelson tour..announcement on willie's site..
gee - don't let the door hit ya on the arse on the way outta town Billy Boob..
that dustcloud on the edge of town is BBT.
and our kenyon was there at Massey last night to hear him call Jian a bad name! and he wrote about it in the Star!
http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/616601
willie's site: http://willienelson.com/news/mashed-...oronto-canada/
and
http://willienelson.com/news/billy-b...o-more-canada/
Old 04-10-2009, 10:26 PM   #24
Oh, Linda

I LOVE this interview, well Gordon that is

He seems so relaxed, happy with where he's at in life, looking good, and he's still got it goin' on (that is, still sexy and charming at 70)!
Oh, Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:45 PM   #25
RJ

re: He behaved like a petulant child..

Adj. 1. petulant - easily irritated or annoyed; "an incorrigibly fractious young man"; "not the least nettlesome of his countrymen"
irritable, peevish, pettish, techy, testy, tetchy, scratchy, nettlesome, peckish, cranky, fractious; ill-natured - having an irritable and unpleasant disposition, sulky, cross, moody, sour, crabbed, impatient, pouting, perverse, irritable, crusty, sullen, bad-tempered, ratty Brit., N.Z. (informal) fretful, waspish, querulous, peevish, ungracious, cavilling, huffy, fault-finding, snappish, ill-humoured, captious ..OPPOSITE good-natured