banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2006, 10:25 PM   #1
rosemary williams

Great Lakes Brewing Company of Cleveland brews several types of beer from a very light ale to heavy porter. The porter is called - Edmund Fitgerald. Even though I do not prefer porters, I bought a six pack. I still do not prefer porters, but I have a beer bottle with a photo of "Big Fitz" on it. Sorry to those who do not or are not able to drink alcohol.

www.greatlakesbrewing.com
rosemary williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 10:25 PM   #2
Mapman

Great Lakes Brewing Company of Cleveland brews several types of beer from a very light ale to heavy porter. The porter is called - Edmund Fitgerald. Even though I do not prefer porters, I bought a six pack. I still do not prefer porters, but I have a beer bottle with a photo of "Big Fitz" on it. Sorry to those who do not or are not able to drink alcohol.

Old 01-07-2006, 11:17 PM   #3
jj

Very cool!!
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:25 PM   #4
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Quote:
Originally posted by Mapman:

Well, I can't drink for awhile, but I have a feeling I'd like Edmund Fitzgerald beer, because I like porters.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:39 PM   #5
Borderstone

Well,personally,I detest beer(tried it hated it! [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) but if for some weird reason I decided to drink it,I'd try "Fitzgerald".
Old 01-09-2006, 12:03 PM   #6
Glenmark

It should have been a whiskey!
Glenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 04:25 PM   #7
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by someday:
What is a porter????
Funnily enough Mary I was thinking of replying to this topic and had already googled for porter beer and found this:-
"Porter
Porter is said to have been popular with transportation workers of Central London, hence the name" at:-
http://beeradvocate.com/news/stories_read/305/
the fuller explanation is I believe that this type of beer (exemplified by the famous brew developed by the Irishman Arthur Guiness of course) was very popular with the heavily built (i.e "stout") meat carriers (known as "porters") in the Smithfield Meat Market in London England
I previously have discussed the Fitz porter here but the corfid search system is now unable to find the topic quickly nor did google who are obviously too busy fighting Microsoft!!
anyway
i did find a picture then of a fitz bottle but it is not on their site now
I did find this bit of folklore though:-
"TYPE/STYLE
Porter: Originated in Great Britain and named after the porters who hauled goods from wagons to the stands at the open air markets common to England at that time. "
John Fowles
I wish I had a glass of beer

or for a change:-
You might be a Canadian Redneck . . .

. . . if most of your clothing has Canadian beer logos on them.

. . . if you've ever hummed "Bud the Spud".

. . . if you've never realized that most of the lyrics in Gordon Lightfoot's "Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald" don't rhyme.

http://www.canadianaconnection.com/c...l_ribbing3.htm
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 04:25 PM   #8
johnfowles

Quote:
What is a porter????
Funnily enough Mary I was thinking of replying to this topic and had already googled for porter beer and found this:-
"Porter
Porter is said to have been popular with transportation workers of Central London, hence the name" at:-
http://beeradvocate.com/news/stories_read/305/
the fuller explanation is I believe that this type of beer (exemplified by the famous brew developed by the Irishman Arthur Guiness of course) was very popular with the heavily built (i.e "stout") meat carriers (known as "porters") in the Smithfield Meat Market in London England
I previously have discussed the Fitz porter here but the corfid search system is now unable to find the topic quickly nor did google who are obviously too busy fighting Microsoft!!
anyway
I did find this bit of folklore though:-
"TYPE/STYLE
Porter: Originated in Great Britain and named after the porters who hauled goods from wagons to the stands at the open air markets common to England at that time. "
John Fowles
I wish I had a glass of beer

or for a change:-
You might be a Canadian Redneck . . .

. . . if most of your clothing has Canadian beer logos on them.

. . . if you've ever hummed "Bud the Spud".

. . . if you've never realized that most of the lyrics in Gordon Lightfoot's "Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald" don't rhyme.

http://www.canadianaconnection.com/c...l_ribbing3.htm
Old 01-09-2006, 04:40 PM   #9
johnfowles

[quote]Originally posted by johnfowles:
Quote:
nor did google who are obviously too busy fighting Microsoft!!
anyway
OK OK found it
Old 01-09-2006, 04:40 PM   #10
johnfowles

[quote]Originally posted by johnfowles:
Quote:
nor did google who are obviously too busy fighting Microsoft!!
anyway
OK OK found it
Old 01-10-2006, 12:14 AM   #11
Cathy

It's you're fault, John Fowles, that I am a porter fan. You gave me my first taste of it at a bar in Connecticut, where a bunch of us had gathered for dinner. Remember?
Old 01-12-2006, 02:15 PM   #12
<Marcus>

Edmond Fitz is a very tasty porter, & if you're in the cleveland area around Christmas try the Christmas Ale,
a couple of those will knock you on your arss.
Great brewery! :D
Old 01-12-2006, 02:15 PM   #13
<Marcus>

Edmond Fitz is a very tasty porter, & if you're in the cleveland area around Christmas try the Christmas Ale,
a couple of those will knock you on your arss.
Great brewery! :D
Old 01-13-2006, 04:17 PM   #14
rosemary williams

If anybody ever has a chance to pick up a 6 pack of anything from Great Lakes, it's well worth the price. Many, many different kinds. Burning River is probably the best, named after the Cuyahaga River when it caught fire! This one is very good but not for the faint of heart. 9% alcohol.

Hey:

I will try the burning river. I remember when the Cuyahaga River caught fire and mention each semester in one of the geography classes I teach. I found the beer at a local Krogers in Huntington, WV.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:17 PM   #15
Mapman

If anybody ever has a chance to pick up a 6 pack of anything from Great Lakes, it's well worth the price. Many, many different kinds. Burning River is probably the best, named after the Cuyahaga River when it caught fire! This one is very good but not for the faint of heart. 9% alcohol.

Hey:

I will try the burning river. I remember when the Cuyahaga River caught fire and mention each semester in one of the geography classes I teach. I found the beer at a local Krogers in Huntington, WV.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:53 PM   #16
Cathy

Mapman, how the heck does a river catch fire? Was their a fuel leak or something?
Old 01-15-2006, 10:33 AM   #17
rosemary williams

Hi Cathy:

Check out this link: http://www.epa.gov/glnpo/aoc/cuyahoga.html

It gives a little bit of info.

JH
Old 01-15-2006, 10:33 AM   #18
Mapman

Hi Cathy:

JH
Old 01-15-2006, 12:03 PM   #19
Cathy

Quote:
Hi Cathy:

JH
Wow. The river that oozes, rather than flows. It sounds lovely.
We don't have that problem in Northern Maine. I remember back in the '60s, when starch factories lined our river banks, there was a lot of foamy junk floating in all our rivers, but the EPA came in and shut most of the starch factories down.

Cathy
Old 01-15-2006, 03:58 PM   #20
johnfowles

Quote:
Hi Cathy:

JH
Great picture on that site

And quite interesting facts
In a similar vein I doubt that many reading this will have heard of the delightful disinformation campaign to persusade the Germans in 1940 that if they tried to invade England they would be faced with the ability of the British to "set the Channel on fire"
One plan involved dousing the channel with oil, then setting it ablaze to burn the Germans alive before reaching the shore. Of course, they did not have the ability to do so and therefore could only use deception, rumor, and propaganda to imply that the island was protected by a wall of fire
there is a great write up at:-
http://www.psywarrior.com/DeceptionH.html
which includes this photograph as "proof"

"The sea afire"
the plan included a warning on BBC radio which included this German phrase
"And if I may be allowed to suggest a phrase: Der SS Sturmfiihrer brennt auch ganz schon, The SS Captain is also burning quite nicely, the SS Captain is also burning quite nicely!"
That is a delighful page to read dealing as it does initially with those dark days before Pearl Harbo(u)r and before the 20th century's arguably greatest politician (Winnie Churchill) "mobilised the english languge and and sent it into battle "
Further down the page is an account of the later successful deception plan to confuse the Germans on the 1944 invasion plans
"Everyone knows of Patton’s phantom army group, the fake radio traffic to indicate that the real invasion force was still in England, the rubber tanks

and aircraft placed wherever a German reconnaissance aircraft might spot them,"
John Fowles
OK OK enough is enough boys and girls we had better stop this topic right now before No ordinary man a.k.a. "Torkey Jerky steps up to
demand that this be discussed in the small talk forum, where I am about to expostulate on the wonderful English language
Old 01-15-2006, 03:58 PM   #21
johnfowles

Quote:
Hi Cathy:

JH
Great picture on that site

And quite interesting facts
In a similar vein I doubt that many reading this will have heard of the delightful disinformation campaign to persusade the Germans in 1940 that if they tried to invade England they would be faced with the ability of the British to "set the Channel on fire"
One plan involved dousing the channel with oil, then setting it ablaze to burn the Germans alive before reaching the shore. Of course, they did not have the ability to do so and therefore could only use deception, rumor, and propaganda to imply that the island was protected by a wall of fire
there is a great write up at:-
http://www.psywarrior.com/DeceptionH.html
which includes this photograph as "proof"

"The sea afire"
the plan included a warning on BBC radio which included this German phrase
"And if I may be allowed to suggest a phrase: Der SS Sturmfiihrer brennt auch ganz schon, The SS Captain is also burning quite nicely, the SS Captain is also burning quite nicely!"
That is a delighful page to read dealing as it does initially with those dark days before Pearl Harbo(u)r and before the 20th century's arguably greatest politician (Winnie Churchill) "mobilised the english languge and and sent it into battle "
Further down the page is an account of the later successful deception plan to confuse the Germans on the 1944 invasion plans
"Everyone knows of Patton’s phantom army group, the fake radio traffic to indicate that the real invasion force was still in England, the rubber tanks

and aircraft placed wherever a German reconnaissance aircraft might spot them,"
John Fowles
OK OK enough is enough boys and girls we had better stop this topic right now before No ordinary man a.k.a. "Torkey Jerky steps up to
demand that this be discussed in the small talk forum, where I am about to expostulate on the wonderful English language
Old 01-16-2006, 07:40 PM   #22
<Linda>

John, great pic of bottle of beer....Wouldn't it be cool if Gordon was endorsing this...I bet he would make it a commercial to remember. I can't see Gordon really getting into this sort of thing...but whatever it takes to see him...works for me!! lol
Old 01-16-2006, 07:40 PM   #23
<Linda>

John, great pic of bottle of beer....Wouldn't it be cool if Gordon was endorsing this...I bet he would make it a commercial to remember. I can't see Gordon really getting into this sort of thing...but whatever it takes to see him...works for me!! lol
Old 01-17-2006, 12:22 AM   #24
Cathy

Here's an idea, John. Next time you see Gord, take a bottle of this beer backstage and see if he'll autograph it. Then set it above the fire place and let it age for 10 years or so. It would probably be worth quite a bit!
Old 01-17-2006, 10:26 AM   #25
Janice

Quote:
Gordon Lightfoot Tickets: $150.00
Case of Edmund Fitzgerald Beer: $55.00
Limosine Rental: $275.00

Seeing the smile on Tracey's face when she get to meet Gordon Lightfoot: PRICELESS
Someday, you are a very good friend. Tracey is very lucky to have you in her corner.

Have a wonderful time! I know this is for Tracey, but don't forget to have someone take your picture with Gord as well (or maybe both of you with Gord)