banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 12-13-2003, 09:47 AM   #1
recatejr

i believe that GL is perhaps the greatest songwriter and performer of our time and am dismayed to see the lack of recognition in the states. i read that he has been NOMINATED...not won..but nominated for five grammy's. yet, these posers and wannabees of today are snagging that many in a single night. i am so upset about this and wonderered if others are too.
________
vaporizer reviews

Last edited by recatejr; 01-18-2011 at 02:57 PM.
recatejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 09:55 AM   #2
TheWatchman

The vast majority of supposed musicians that win the awards are piss-poor talents. People still writing like Knopfler should be running away with Grammy's with ease.

There is little substance with younger listeners so it is no wonder they can't grasp the concept of quality music created by a true singer/songwriter. This is what music really is. Not all this hippity hoppity nonsense with stupid beats created by some geek on a computer.

Of course there are a couple of exceptions to this rule as it pertains to younger listeners as with Nora Jones, Alecia Keys etc. They actually write there own material and are good at it. Not exactly my style, but talented musicians nonetheless.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 09:58 AM   #3
recatejr

true what you say except that these talented singers are winning 5 grammys the first year out of the box!!!???**&&
________
vaporizers

Old 12-13-2003, 10:06 AM   #4
TheWatchman

quote:Originally posted by recatejr:
true what you say except that these talented singers are winning 5 grammys the first year out of the box!!!???**&&

Like I said, they are the exceptions to the rule.
Old 12-13-2003, 10:09 AM   #5
recatejr

have you heard of any plans in the usa for a lifetime achievement award?
________
YZ450F

Old 12-13-2003, 10:45 AM   #6
TheWatchman

It will never happen. Well, I would be surprised if it would.
Old 12-13-2003, 11:32 AM   #7
recatejr

well, if enough well placed people started clamoring for it..it might.
________
iolite portable vaporizer

Old 12-13-2003, 11:40 AM   #8
gwen snyder

Watchman, where does "industrial metal" fit into modern music? Or is it the Rubber Soul of current music? I don't have the neck for that head slinging stuff, it gets stiff. But, where's the substance? Or lackofthereof? My devilish adversarial point is, guys all music is relative to "current". Like, I listen to Glow Worm" and I hear birth pangs. I listen to Gord and I hear historical expression on a different level... his will be listened to longer by the identity it has taken. And, for the same reason "Britney Spears" has her time as "current" music. Gord will be rebirthed again and again, but, we are a small part of living history with this legend. Imagine, living during the day when Frances Scott Keyes wrote his famous tune, similar historic analysis. I may be wrong, but, it's a Christian (as well as othe religious) concept that no man is a hero in his own time. H*** Mick Jagger was knighted... RELATIVITY. Near Gods? No
gwen snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 12:03 PM   #9
TheWatchman

Gwen, you can't be serious. You sure do like to ramble and mix too many thoughts into the same sentences and paragraphs. Try breaking your writing down into organized, logical thoughts and putting them into their respective paragraphs. I just don't have the time to dissect your writing just to answer some provoking questions, which I can't tell if they are even serious or not.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:11 PM   #10
recatejr

watchman,

you are being a little hard on gwen given that she did make a very profound observation about GL not being recognized as a musical as well as philosophical genius. she could have said it more succinctly but not everyone has the gift albeit they try. having said that, you do seem to be a well respected voice on this site and as such i appreciate your observations. later.
Old 12-13-2003, 04:04 PM   #11
Iron

This is Just my opinion:
About 90% of the people in the good ol' U.S.of A. would not recognize talent if it jumped up and bit them where the sun don't shine.If your into Gordon's occupation,consider yourself to be in the group that can comprehend and appreciate a Man just doing the job He chose to do.
Though I would like to see some recognition too,I also doubt that it will ever happen while Gordon is still alive and kicken ass.After He,I can't say it but you know what I mean,then you will see the "recognition",--One of the greatest etc.,just 19.95$ if you act now....That's when I'm going to say...Kiss This..
Gordon don't do "shows",He just does His thing,and that just does'nt do the $$$$ in the U.S.and thats pretty much what the whole entertainment business evolves around here..the 90% and the $$$$$
Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 04:14 PM   #12
recatejr

i appreciate what ya say iron..the same push for $$ has hit pro sports and it is amazing how pro sports owners will do to get a return on investment by charging 6.00 for a hot dog or beer and 25.00 for parking....for LOSING TEAMS!!! GL is the genuine article and he doesnt try to grab glory or headlines...in fact i recall luther vandross..wonderful talent...being "honored" while in coma but not a peep about GL's brush eith death. i had to read it today on this website..thanks to the watchman...sad,sad,sad. oh well, i almost prefer the lack of recognition because in order to get it..zz top sold its musical soul to get the big bucks and a chart topper. i dont want to see GL do that and i know he wont.
Old 12-13-2003, 05:05 PM   #13
Gaby

quote:Originally posted by Iron:
After He,I can't say it but you know what I mean, then you will see the "recognition",--

Iron has brought up a topic I’ve been thinking a lot about recently but never mentioned ‘cos, frankly, I thought I’d get roasted.

We’ve all been going mad saving Ed’s clips. I’d far rather go out now and buy the DVDs, knowing my money would be going, in part, to their originator.

Warner Bros. has just been sold. What about all those treasures lying in the vaults that we’d sell our daughters into slavery for? (And pay through the nose for NOW!)

Jim Croce has released 62 albums at last count. For ***’* sake – he was only 30 when he died. Is this the sort of thing that might happen with GL?

I am, however, assuming that someone at EMP is already on the ball.

I apologise if I have offended anyone with this and I’m sorry if you think I’m posting too much. But, at the moment, I’m a bit fed up and bored and where else am I going to “meet” such lovely people?

[This message has been edited by Gaby (edited December 13, 2003).]
Gaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 05:45 PM   #14
Auburn Annie

quote:Originally posted by Gaby:
We’ve all been going mad saving Ed’s clips. I’d far rather go out now and buy the DVDs, knowing my money would be going, in part, to their originator.

Unless I'm missing something, Ed's temporary clips are those from the CBC's archives and have never been on DVD (some are audio only) or in any other format, and are not for sale by the CBC or anybody else, at least that I'm aware of. No guarantee they'll remain up on the CBC site - hence the mad saving.

As for "assuming that someone at EMP is already on the ball" - well, we sure hope so, but never assume.

Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 05:55 PM   #15
Gaby

Sorry, Annie.

I meant to imply any possible/resultant DVDs
from concerts, TV etc.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:19 AM   #16
gwen snyder

Watchman, yeah right.
recatejr. historically only one person can have fun or wild illogical thought and fantasy on this sight, since that place belongs to watchman, I beg to refrain from comment.
have a good day.
gwen snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 08:27 AM   #17
Gaby

Hey! You two!

I think we need a lot more of Gwen’s existential free thought processes in this appalling world, where the PC Police are trying to homogenize us.

And, Watchman. Some knight in shining armour you are! Rebecca’s probably starved to death in that damn canoe. (Unless you managed to throw her some canaries.)

[This message has been edited by Gaby (edited December 14, 2003).]
Old 12-14-2003, 09:44 AM   #18
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

You're all correct on this topic. "Can't we all just get along", as that famous pacifist and social leader, Rodney King, used to say.

We went out yesterday to buy a ROUND area rug to put in the "breakfast nook" of our new home. I don't know what y'all call it all over the world but it's the table that you eat at when you don't have company. We have at least a half dozen flooring stores in town not counting the big box stores. Well we were told that "yes they make them but no they're not popular, and yes we can special order you one" I felt like I was looking for Gordon Lightfoot related material. Anyway you're all right, popularity is fleeting but quality will be around forever.

What ? I'm not sure but as they say "thanks for letting me share".

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 03:01 PM   #19
Auburn Annie

quote:Originally posted by BILLW:
....We went out yesterday to buy a ROUND area rug to put in the "breakfast nook" of our new home. I don't know what y'all call it all over the world but it's the table that you eat at when you don't have company. We have at least a half dozen flooring stores in town not counting the big box stores. Well we were told that "yes they make them but no they're not popular, and yes we can special order you one" I felt like I was looking for Gordon Lightfoot related material. Anyway you're all right, popularity is fleeting but quality will be around forever.

What ? I'm not sure but as they say "thanks for letting me share".

Bill

I haven't checked recently but the larger home furnishing sections of JC Penney and Sears used to carry round rugs, either patterned "persian" style, or sometimes braided. They may only be available via catalog. Domestications (www.domestications.com) carries some round and octagonal rugs.

Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 09:23 PM   #20
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Thank you Annie, we'll check it out. And to keep this GL related I believe he has a round rug in one of his sitting rooms.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 09:45 PM   #21
jg005@aol.com

[QUOTE]Originally posted by recatejr:

I see your viewpoint. I think that Mr. Lightfoot did not consider it a priority. His followers are vast and help him dissregard commercial influences. Otherwise he could have made much bigger deals with US media.

I still think Gordon is one of the most influential 60s-70s musicians. I am not discounting the 80-90 albums, but the 70 were really good musical productions.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:14 PM   #22
recatejr

quote:Originally posted by jg005@aol.com:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by recatejr:

I see your viewpoint. I think that Mr. Lightfoot did not consider it a priority. His followers are vast and help him dissregard commercial influences. Otherwise he could have made much bigger deals with US media.

It is the difference between people who love money and fame and those (GL) who love what they do. GL is such a genius that much of what he writes is over the head of any so-called critic and much too deep for most music fans. as i said in a previous post..professional entertainment has been soiled by too much money(easy money) as mark knopfler of dire straits sang in the song "money for nothing".
I still think Gordon is one of the most influential 60s-70s musicians. I am not discounting the 80-90 albums, but the 70 were really good musical productions.

Old 12-17-2003, 01:14 PM   #23
Oma

quote:Originally posted by BILLW:
as that famous pacifist and social leader, Rodney King, used to say.

Bill, you sure crack me up!

I sure wish GL was recognized like he should be here in the US! I recognize him as the musical genius that he is, but sadly, I run across so many people who say "Gordon Who?" when I mention him anymore.

He should definitely get a lifetime achievement award!!!

Oma is offline   Reply With Quote