banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 01-14-2016, 05:44 PM   #1
youngstranger

Default I've Miscalculated, Badly!

I've been a huge fan of Gord's for the best part of ten years. He's my favourite solo artist, just really speaks to me. Living in Ireland I thought I'd never see him live and even planned a trip to Canada to see him but that fell through.

So finally, he announces a concert in Ireland after thirty years. What do I do? I put off booking a ticket and now it is completely sold out. Big mistake!

I think now I just have to hope the touts are selling them outside the theatre on the night.

Can't believe I played it so cool after all these years but I just didn't think it would sell out so easily. I'm delighted for Gord that he will have a full house though after all these years.
youngstranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:48 AM   #2
charlene

Default Re: I've Miscalculated, Badly!

oh no...that's crazy!! check online for tickets too-check with 're-sale' sites.. make sure they are legit tho.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 12:44 PM   #3
Dan O'Malley

Hope you get to see the show! Glad i've got my tickets for 3 of the England shows. Out of curiousity, I checked the Royal Albert Hall website. and the best seats available are those with "limited legroom"! Looks like the UK hasn't forgotten you Gord!!!
Old 01-15-2016, 11:19 PM   #4
Dave, Melbourne,Australia

Reading how the British and Irish concerts are selling so well despite no tour there for decades convinces me that a farewell tour of Australia's largest cities (especially Melbourne and Sydney) would get a similar response. Middle-aged and older Australians have proven to be great supporters of tours by musicians who made an impact here in the 1960s-80s. Even tribute concerts to Cat Stevens, Van Morrison, James Taylor and others have been well attended. Assuming the British-Irish tour goes well, I suggest Gord and his management ponder which other distant country would offer a similar result. And with modern air travel and streamlined schedules, Gord would not have to endure the 34-hour trip here that he had on his only previous tour (1974).

Last edited by Dave, Melbourne,Australia; 01-15-2016 at 11:28 PM.
Dave, Melbourne,Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 01:17 AM   #5
joveski

if the UK shows turn out well, i wouldnt be surprised if he makes the trip downunder. if he managed to fill out 2 shows in perth in 1974, it should be easy for the bigger cities
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:05 AM   #6
Dan O'Malley

Hope you get to see him down there!!
Old 01-17-2016, 08:10 AM   #7
Jim Nasium

I have tickets for Glasgow and Birmingham. Have just checked tickets available in both venues and they are going well especially Birmingham with well over 90% seats sold.
Good news.
Jim Nasium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:27 AM   #8
Dave, Melbourne,Australia

Another thing that convinces me an Australian tour by Lightfoot would sell well is the success of Leonard Cohen's 2009 tour, when Cohen was 75 and had not toured Australia for 24 years. His 2009 concerts at wineries etc got rave reviews and the following year he returned to play bigger venues including Melbourne's Rod Laver Arena (which this fortnight is hosting the Australian Open tennis tournament).

And the sellout 2010 big-venue tour by Yusuf (Cat Stevens) who had not toured Australia for 36 years.

Gord had plenty of radio airplay here in the 1970s and "Sundown" reached Number 1 across Australia. I'm sure a radio advertisement including excerpts of "Sundown", "Carefree Highway" and IYCRMM would trigger word of mouth and get the required ticket sales happening. Reassurance could be sought from market research organisations with experience in drought-breaking tours by music artists from Gord's heyday with similar record sales here.

Last edited by Dave, Melbourne,Australia; 01-24-2016 at 09:43 AM.
Dave, Melbourne,Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:37 AM   #9
charlene

TIX FOR SALE :: https://www.donedeal.ie/musictickets...s-x-2/11361938

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngstranger View Post
I've been a huge fan of Gord's for the best part of ten years. He's my favourite solo artist, just really speaks to me. Living in Ireland I thought I'd never see him live and even planned a trip to Canada to see him but that fell through.

So finally, he announces a concert in Ireland after thirty years. What do I do? I put off booking a ticket and now it is completely sold out. Big mistake!

I think now I just have to hope the touts are selling them outside the theatre on the night.

Can't believe I played it so cool after all these years but I just didn't think it would sell out so easily. I'm delighted for Gord that he will have a full house though after all these years.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:41 PM   #10
youngstranger

Super Charlene thanks for the heads up! !
youngstranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:31 AM   #11
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngstranger View Post
Super Charlene thanks for the heads up! !
We can always count on Char! Never underestimate her abilities.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote