banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 03-18-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
dad2mak

Default Red and Terry

I had always wanted to ask Red and Terry to show me some of the wonderful licks they played in various GL songs. I never go the chance to meet Red Shea. I did get to meet Terry backstage once but he didn't stay long enough for me to ask him.

I understand that Red's son is quite the guitar player. Do any of you know if Red or Terry ever did any learning/teaching tapes/cd's/dvd's of some of their stuff?

And this posting of Red from 1972 has only whetted my appetite all the more.
dad2mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:30 PM   #2
jj

Default Re: Red and Terry

I don't think so but in later years Red instructed a few of our members ie. Stinson and Bartlett

jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:05 AM   #3
Scott Mac

Thanks for posting. That is great!
Scott Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:51 AM   #4
jj

These were from a prior thread that someone hunted down and glad you enjoyed

I wonder what year Red started looking at his guitar while he played (cos he sure didn't back in the '72 show)

As for Terry, he inspired many players and aspiring players over the years. I would have enjoyed seeing he and Lou jam and jest

http://loumoore.com/thursdays.htm
Old 03-19-2011, 02:09 PM   #5
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Anyone know if Red had any formal training? He holds his guitar as a trained classical player would, over the left leg. Most untrained players hold it over the right leg.

Cathy
Old 03-22-2011, 08:29 PM   #6
alex

I am posting to this thread, because I am sure you afficianados of Red Shea will be thrilled to learn this news. Alex

From the Terry Clements and Terry's Guitar threads:

"I have received two very interesting links from Johann Lowenberg.

The first takes you to CBC Radio 3.

Before his passing, Terry produced some great music, featuring Terry, Red and Rick, on Johann's upcoming album. Lightfoot Folks, do CHECK this link out!:

http://radio3.cbc.ca/#/bands/Johann-Lowenberg

You will hear demos, but it probably won't take long to master them for release.
The music is wonderful!!! It is a great treat. Thank you Johann.

The second is about possible lineage links of the McGlincy guitar:

I quote his Johann's correspondence:

"Hi Alex

This article shows that Dylan and Cash were good friends, so it could very well be possible one showed the other his McGlincy, depending on which was built first

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyl...ght-0217-2011/

johann"

My response:

"Johann,

Thank you. It was fascinating article. It certainly made me think about the possible connection between Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan.

It is possible one showed the other his McGlincy and the other was sufficiently impressed to have one made for himself. The "branch" may go Dylan, Cash, Lightfoot, Clements, myself or, possibly Cash, Dylan, Lightfoot, Clements, me.

Perhaps someone who knows Mr. Dylan could shed some light on the matter and clarify the lineage?..."

I would now add:...or, someone who knew Johnny Cash?"

(For more information on the McGlincy Guitars, as played by both Gord and Terry, see the "Terry's Guitar" thread.)
alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:32 PM   #7
alex

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just received an update from Johann. The link for the McGlincy Article is not working.

Try this one: http://goo.gl/XfjqC

I've tried it. It works!

Thanks, Johann.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:33 PM   #8
alex

Make that the Cash-Dylan connection article...
Old 03-23-2011, 09:13 AM   #9
jj

Very interesting is right, very

Would have loved to see live gig(s)

Terry will be looking down with pride once the final mixes are done

I'd have liked to have attended a Lou presents Terry one Thrs eve

http://loumoore.com/thursdays.htm

Saw him a few times decades back, at the Bayview

Thank you once again, Alex
Old 04-19-2011, 12:44 PM   #10
Johann

Thanks JJ for the kind words!

Lou Moore's Thursday night gig is still happening up in Aurora at the King Henry Arms. Terry loved these jams as well as the dozens of other players who would frequent the pilgrimage. Lou Moore is the best of the best and he usually puts a smile on everyone's face.

Terry decided for my song 'It Makes Me Cry' to call in Red for the guitar parts and Lou for bass. That was a day I'll never forget. After showing the boys the initial idea, Red thought it best for me to lay down a ghost track for him to play against. As I was doing that, the boys went outdoors to light up their cigars. It was only 9:30 in the morning! Red was surprised that I was out to join them so quickly and that's when the jokes started. That continued throughout the session. We laughed, we cried and the music sounded incredible. We were all in our glory. Red was doing what he did best. Terry was Mr. Producer. Lou was our rock, and me, well I think I was in heaven singing with the stars. The very next evening, Terry and I were off to Massey Hall to see Don Williams. We sat in our favourite section up in the first balcony middle-middle. After the show, who do we run into backstage, none other than Red himself. He commented on the good time he had the day before. I'll never forget his laugh.

Every song has a story and this is one of my favourites!

http://radio3.cbc.ca/#/bands/Johann-Lowenberg

Johann
Johann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:54 AM   #11
Johann

I was working with my son on a woodworking project when I received a call from my good friend, Paul Bartlett, infoming me of the pub jam on the Friday afternoon. I arrived early at McVeigh's, the room I used to play back in 1971. I worked as a film editor across the road and every afternoon during my lunch hour, I would come over to entertain the troops. I operated a few coffee houses back in the day and as the room filled with musicians and fans, it brought a tear to my eye. When Paul B got up to pay tribute to both 'Red and Terry' it touched my heart! The talent that afternoon was impressive. From Ron on his 12-string to the very talented Mr. Stinson, Paul Johnston, the picker extraordinaire with Scott Williamson on bass. It was a pleasure to meet jj, the man on the keys, Mr. Bassman TG, and soundman Myk. The young talented 'Kenyon' reminded me a little of myself back in '71. It was very special chatting with artist 'Liam Jones' and discussing his exquisite painting of 'The Lightfoot Band'. Meeting Charlene was the highlight of my afternoon. She persuaded me to attend Gord's show that evening. I was up in the rafters and was pleasantly surprised of how good it all sounded up there. The band was tight and Gordon was at the top of his game!

Thanks everyone,
Johann
Johann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:32 AM   #12
charlene

It was terrific meeting you too Johann and I'm glad I convinced you to get to a concert!...these last 4 nights at Massey were some of the best I've attended in years. The concerts are but one component of the Massey week...the other is spending time with the "Net People", fans and friends that have come together because of their love for Lightfoot music. So many talented friends!
Now we begin the countdown until the next Massey shows....
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #13
lighthead2toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johann View Post
I was working with my son on a woodworking project when I received a call from my good friend, Paul Bartlett, infoming me of the pub jam on the Friday afternoon. I arrived early at McVeigh's, the room I used to play back in 1971. I worked as a film editor across the road and every afternoon during my lunch hour, I would come over to entertain the troops. I operated a few coffee houses back in the day and as the room filled with musicians and fans, it brought a tear to my eye. When Paul B got up to pay tribute to both 'Red and Terry' it touched my heart! The talent that afternoon was impressive. From Ron on his 12-string to the very talented Mr. Stinson, Paul Johnston, the picker extraordinaire with Scott Williamson on bass. It was a pleasure to meet jj, the man on the keys, Mr. Bassman TG, and soundman Myk. The young talented 'Kenyon' reminded me a little of myself back in '71. It was very special chatting with artist 'Liam Jones' and discussing his exquisite painting of 'The Lightfoot Band'. Meeting Charlene was the highlight of my afternoon. She persuaded me to attend Gord's show that evening. I was up in the rafters and was pleasantly surprised of how good it all sounded up there. The band was tight and Gordon was at the top of his game!

Thanks everyone,
Johann
It was very nice meeting you at the pub jam Johann and thanks for your kind words.
Paul Bartlett speaks very highly of you.
I can't for the life of me figure out why we didn't have you up for a tune or two. Sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees.

What I really would love to do though when I arrive in Aurora next month is to connect with you again and maybe round up Paul, John and whoever else would be available to join us for a Thursday night visit to King Henry's for a few tunes. I'm looking forward to meeting Lou, and also to the good times ahead.
Cheers,
RJ.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote