banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2003, 02:01 PM   #1
titan

I have noticed since I purchased my 4 CD box set titled SONGBOOK, that Song for a Winters Night has an annoying clicking noise that starts just before the sleigh bells. This
clicking is not on any of my other GL CD's
and I was wondering if anyone had a clue as to why? This clicking is somewhat in rhythem
to the song but does not seem to be part of the musical arrangement. It sounds more like
a recording error. I have other GL CD's with
this song and do not hear that click. In fact I listened to Song for a Winter's Night on my Gord's Gold just before this post and
did not hear the click. Anyone? What the heck is it?
Old 08-16-2003, 02:30 PM   #2
TheWatchman

I have not listened to that CD in awhile but I guess what your probably hearing is a metronome, which is used to help keep time.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 07:05 PM   #3
closetcanadian

I agree that this clicking sound is irritating! While listening to this CD in my car I actually checked to see if I had accidentally left my blinkers on after completing a turn! I think this sound is intentional and to me sounds like a pair of drumsticks being tapped together. Do we have any drummers or percussionists in our group that could offer an opinion?
closetcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 08:07 AM   #4
Chuck Darling

Its kinda like where the two different versions of Strawberry Fields Forever by the Beatles got spliced together, once you know its there its distracting! LOL

------------------
Ever Onward...
Chuck Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 08:13 AM   #5
Rick Mundane

This clicking sound occurs on 2 CDs I have, Disc 1, track 24 of 'The United Artists Collection' and Disc 1, track 8 of 'Songbook'. On both occasions it comes in at about 29 bars in as Gordon sings "If I could only have you near......" and continues to the songs end. I rather like it. It does not seem to occur on the vinyl 'Gords Gold 1'. Album 1 is a re-recording of his UA stuff, so it was left off the arrangement.
Old 08-17-2003, 06:50 PM   #6
closetcanadian

The clicking noise is on the original UA vinyl album. (Yes, I do own a working turntable!) The clicks must be on the UA master tape but were not used on the Gord's Gold rerecording. Any other theories on how the clicking sounds were produced?
closetcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 09:33 PM   #7
gwen snyder

I am not even vaguely sure about how they got there, but, I like closet canadian was wondering if my blinker was on as I listened to it one night in my car.
gwen snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 09:51 PM   #8
TheWatchman

It's a metronome that produces that clicking sound.
Old 08-17-2003, 09:51 PM   #9
Chris in Virginia

What a great post. I have always been bothered by that damn clicking on the original version! I actually think it is the precussionist overplaying a bit. I will listen a little more closely. Could be a click track. I'm surprised that passed the final cut. It's hard to say with some of the recording equipment they used back then.
Chris in Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 09:55 PM   #10
Rebecca

Did Gord tell you this, or were you there during the recording?
Rebecca

quote:Originally posted by TheWatchman:
It's a metronome that produces that clicking sound.

Rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 10:31 PM   #11
TheWatchman

Well, now that you mention it Rebecca, Gordon did tell me this, but not in the recording studio.

I was in my canoe checking some beaver traps along the Chiniguntha River back in '89. When I was finally finished for the day, I was paddling my way back to the cabin when I noticed this canary yellow canoe stuck in some rapids just past this bend in the water, by the old Coletrain settlement of 1856.

Being a very strong, seasoned canoeist, I was able to fight the rapids, despite the half dozen blanket beavers weighing me down, and give the dude a hand in the funny looking canoe.

You won't believe this but I'll tell you anyway (my therapist, BillW, says I should open up more). It was none other than Lightfoot in the canoe. He was by himself and was very scared and almost going into shock. Said he had been stuck there for 3 days. He later told me this is where he wrote the song about his canoe. Said he had nothing else better to do and he was too scared to think about anything else other than his canoe. I don't care what Songbook says.

With my very strong arms, I simply grabbed his canoe with one arm and used my the other to paddle us both to shore. He made some banock for us and I made the coffee. As he was asking me for pointers on canoeing, he asked if there was anything he could do for me in return for rescuing him. I said there is one thing that has been bugging the crap out of me. What the he** is that CLICKING SOUND in "Song For A Winter's Night"?" He admitted it was a metronome to help him keep time.

There you have it. I already feel better.
Old 08-17-2003, 11:06 PM   #12
brink

And what Watchman is banock? I think as many times as you run into Lightfoot I will start tailing you in my own canoe. We are all glad that you listen to your therapist.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 11:55 PM   #13
Restless

Fine caustic humor. Gotta love it. (You'd appreciate Mark Twain, Watchman, if you don't already read him.)
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 12:57 AM   #14
Restless

Just finished listening. My vote is: it's simply someone in the band slapping his thigh, or maybe tapping a wood block. There seem to be slight imperfections in the "clicking" sound, which may rule out a metronome. The tapping is a bit odd, but many older recordings contain production oddities or mistakes which really make those tunes "cooler" than they'd be under today's more refined and slicker production. (I will now undermine that thought by admitting that I like the slicker remake of Winter's Night better than the original! The deeper vocals, the lush violins, and denser instrumentation are soothingly gorgeous.)

------------------
And I will always love
that sound until the day
I die.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:02 AM   #15
Rebecca

Dear Restless,
Are you sure? The Watchman (who not only READS, but actually PENNED Mark Twain's works in a previous existence) seems fairly convinced that the rhythmic tapping was indeed a metronome.
Rebecca
quote:Originally posted by Restless:
Just finished listening. My vote is: it's simply someone in the band slapping his thigh, or maybe tapping a wood block. There seem to be slight imperfections in the "clicking" sound, which may rule out a metronome. The tapping is a bit odd, but many older recordings contain production oddities or mistakes which really make those tunes "cooler" than they'd be under today's more refined and slicker production. (I will now undermine that thought by admitting that I like the slicker remake of Winter's Night better than the original! The deeper vocals, the lush violins, and denser instrumentation are soothingly gorgeous.)

Rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 07:17 AM   #16
TheWatchman

Haven't listened to that version in a long time so I guess I should not be so sure of myself. I'll listen to it and see what it sounds like. Having used a metronome for piano lessons, it's sound is forever embedded in my brain.
Old 08-18-2003, 09:24 AM   #17
titan

I'm wondering if Gord would use a mentro-whatever. I remember using them in the 7th grade and Mrs. Ritchhart yelling "a onea, a twoa, a threea, four," in her nasal loud voice and think that Gord couldn't possibly be that remedial. By the time I was in Freshman band we had overcome that little contraption and learned to count.

I think it's someone slapping something or hitting a block of wood because it's not in perfect rhythem. I am glad I have so many responses because this has been bugging me for quite some time. I am disappointed that we still do not have a definite answer.
Anyone know for sure? Please help!!!!!

[This message has been edited by titan (edited August 18, 2003).]
Old 08-18-2003, 11:46 AM   #18
Oma

quote:Originally posted by titan:

Anyone know for sure? Please help!!!!!

The Watchman's story sounded pretty convincing to me!

Oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 02:01 PM   #19
TheWatchman

I listened to it and the only thing it sounds like to me is a metronome. I can't think of anything in the percussion deptartment that would give that exact sound. Could be, but I haven't a clue.

It's keeping perfect time as far as I can tell with the exception of missing one beat. I think it is missing from the studio editing etc. Could have been a little mistake that had to be dubbed over and they probably did not need to use the metronome for the retake. Now I'm really sticking my neck out.

Anybody want to wager what this sound is? Surely someone can find out what it is.

Titan, Lightfoot has used a metronome every single time I have seen him in concert for the 12 years or so. His foot. He doesn't have to worry about leaving it in a hotel room and if it breaks, he's got another. Seriously, he needs something to help him keep time and an experienced musician can use his foot without screwing up his time!

Rebecca, I know what you are going to ask. Yes, Lightfoot did tell me this. Not directly though. I have a bootleg from the early '70's where he tells the audience of using his foot to help him keep time. Sorry, no adventurous story for this one...
Old 08-18-2003, 02:07 PM   #20
TheWatchman

Brink,

Bannock is like a little fried cake made out of flour, oats, fish or anything else you can find. Ernest Shackleton and his crew lived on this stuff for the 2 years or so they were stuck in the Antarctic. Lightfoot and I just had it for lunch.

Old 08-18-2003, 03:12 PM   #21
Borderstone

I believe you Watchman! You certainly have nothing to gain by spreading falsehoods. Besides,it's a small world and if you happen to be in the terrain that matches places Gord would go,you're bound to run into him.
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 03:52 PM   #22
titan

OK. We are having fun here. I realize that a musician must use something ( a tapping foot perhaps) to keep the beat. I have listened to the song in question about ten times today and I have a different opinion now after careful thought.

I have this habit of tapping my ring against the steering wheel of my car when I am enjoying a song on my car stereo. I also tap my ring against my mug of adult beverage when I hear something that interests me at the local watering hole. I wonder........
I just wonder if Gordon is not tapping his ring against the neck of his guitar or tapping his ring against the microphone.
After several listens and deeeeeeeeeep thought, I have concluded that the clicking noise must be close (very close) to a mic.
I have also determined that it is not a hollow enough sound to be a block of wood and the clicking is much too crisp to be someone slapping their thigh.
I consider this to be a fun topic and I loved Watchmans post about his experience with Gordon on the canoe trip. We may never now the real origin of the mystery click,
but I have enjoyed everyone's input. Keep em coming!!!!!!!!
Old 08-18-2003, 07:43 PM   #23
Restless

"...the clicking is much too crisp to be someone slapping their thigh." AHA! But what if that thigh is not clothed!
Old 08-18-2003, 08:28 PM   #24
TheWatchman

The only other thing that it could be is someone clicking their false teeth. But that is highly unlikely.
Old 08-18-2003, 08:28 PM   #25
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Well, since the sleighbells are a gimmick to go along with the theme of the song maybe the clicking is too. Like someone slapping the horsewhip across the seat as they glide along to Grandma's house for a couple of Bangkok Burgers and haggis or whatever he and the Watchman were planning for dinner that night. But really someone knows and maybe they'll come forward someday. Or maybe all the people who really know are passed on or not talking to us these days.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote