banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-13-2008, 01:58 PM   #26
lighthead2toe

Default Re: Pub jam sessions in Toronto-May 8 and 9

Wow! The fun has begun. We'll miss Kenyon this year I understand. That's too bad and he'll surely be missed. That boy can crank it out there and when he gets his hands on the B45 it rings like a symphony. Apart from the pub gig though I hope we can fit in a few quieter sessions in the hotels, etc. I really enjoy, and I know for sure that other fans do as well singin' all them highway songs in the hangdog hotel room. I'll be in the Province May1st till May15th. Can't wait! Ron Jones.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:05 PM   #27
lighthead2toe

Just a footnote to add here and this is not intended to rain on the parade but a word of caution regarding personal belongings especially musical instruments. PROFESSIONAL EQUIPMENT THIEVES are active around large events such as this upcoming one and many of us arrive in town, instruments in tow. It would be wise to not let your gear stray too far from eyesight during the festivities. Gord would know about this having had one of his B45's stolen once. It's happened to many musicians. Also most hotel rooms are built to contain water up to a certain height on the floor to prevent flooding to lower floors so it's best to keep stuff on shelves etc. just in case. I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone again and meeting new friends. Cheers, Ron J.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:33 PM   #28
T.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthead2toe View Post
An electric bass would be great T.G. Sure would be a significant contribution especially in tunes like "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald." All are welcome to participate. We were looking at sort of an open mike thing and a little musical back up would be great. Looking forward to meeting up with you. Cheers, Ron J.
Sounds like a blast. Although I'm no pro, if people call out the chord progressions that would help accompanists. I imagine people also change keys from the originals here and there ...
T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:24 PM   #29
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Sounds like fun. Anyone know if the pub has any age restrictions for patrons ? My daughter will be just shy of 16 when we're there. I'd like to stop by but she doesn't have any fake I.D. yet. I keep telling her I had a draft card (US) when I was her age, LOL.

Bill

If you know anything about the draft: 1. you're old 2. you now know I'm OLD
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:44 PM   #30
charlene

She'd only have to show I.D. if she wished to be served alcohol..it's a family type restaurant with a liquor license..as opposed to a 'bar'..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:20 AM   #31
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
She'd only have to show I.D. if she wished to be served alcohol..it's a family type restaurant with a liquor license..as opposed to a 'bar'..
Thanks Char - she won't be asking to be served with me in the room until she's at least 21. So I guess we'll see y'all there. Great !

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:27 PM   #32
T.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by podunklander View Post
Cathy (catrinka) and I are planning to go to the pub . Can't wait to hear the music and meet everyone! Y'all know if we're there -2 gabby gals with Massachusetts accents
Ah, we love those Massachusetts accents! As long as you can stand the Canadian ones, of course LOL ...
Old 04-15-2008, 10:30 PM   #33
podunklander

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G. View Post
Ah, we love those Massachusetts accents! As long as you can stand the Canadian ones, of course LOL ...
lol I think Canadian one's are pretty neat to listen to...ahhh...I mean 'ta' Cathy's more Bahston -mine is South Central Mass.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:48 PM   #34
T.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by podunklander View Post
lol I think Canadian one's are pretty neat to listen to...ahhh...I mean 'ta' Cathy's more Bahston -mine is South Central Mass.
Gee, I didn't know there are differences in accents even within MA LOL ... Well, be prepared for lots of "eh's" north of the border, eh?
Old 04-16-2008, 05:42 PM   #35
podunklander

Quote:
Gee, I didn't know there are differences in accents even within MA LOL ... Well, be prepared for lots of "eh's" north of the border, eh?
Oh I grew up with that my mom and her 16 brothers and sisters grew up on the border And a few married Canadians! So I may even 'slip' hehe
Old 04-16-2008, 10:34 PM   #36
Kenyon

Thanks for posting those photos Char! They sure bring back some great memories. Alas, Ron got it right, I won't be able to attend this year's Massey concerts as I'll be in Germany. I'm going to miss playing that B45 Ron! I do see the occasional one on ebay but am hesitant to make any bids in the case that they don't end up sounding like yours.
Kenyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:52 PM   #37
lighthead2toe

Great to hear from you Kenyon and although we realize it's not always easy to attend all the gigs, we have really great memories of the last one and the many great tunes that came out of that amazing gig. "In My Fashion, Baby Step Back." There were so many. That session with the whole crew doing "Seven Island Suite." How could you not forget that experience? It was like none other. Where would you ever get such a treat in a setting where the whole crew knew exactly how to pull off such an amazing piece of work in such an informal gathering? This friends is what the music of Gordon Lightfoot is all about. It's about bringing together people who have been touched by the works of a great composer. It's about people coming together who are sincerely into those great works and when they come together in a group it just seems to automatically pour out and pour out it does with a feeling you really have to be there within the confines of those four walls of that room to absorb the real effect. Almost comparable to sitting out for a little sun just when the time is right in order to get the perfect touch. I didn't intend to go on such a rant here but sometimes it's just not easy to turn it off. But Kenyon, I wish you good spaces in far away places, but the B45 is never too far away from any place where a good player like yourself can make it ring out. Cheers, Ron.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:38 AM   #38
Jesse Joe

Very well said Ron,

So Kenyon you got to play that wonderful instrument that Ron is so lucky to own... Im like you when it comes to eBay, it's taking a chance. I know a guy that bought a Yamaha CPX 50, that was like new and what a sound it's got. And then some other folks who got rip off. When it's in the thousands of dollars you kind of hesitate... Me anyway. Have a safe trip, and a good time in Germany.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:04 PM   #39
T.G.

So will there be a PA system at McVeigh's? I'm trying to figure out whether to bring a 30w or 100W bass amp to do my Rick Haynes imitation LOL.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:16 PM   #40
lighthead2toe

Hi T.G. At present I am in Toronto and will be at the pub 7PM tomorrow night (Tuesday) for a sound check. I will put up another post asap. Cheers. RJ.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:48 PM   #41
charlene

I believe Ron is attending to the details regarding mics/amps etc. and all will be in order for the jams..
Old 05-06-2008, 01:53 AM   #42
T.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthead2toe View Post
Hi T.G. At present I am in Toronto and will be at the pub 7PM tomorrow night (Tuesday) for a sound check. I will put up another post asap. Cheers. RJ.
Okay, I'll keep an eye open for further info ...
Old 05-06-2008, 05:44 PM   #43
T.G.

And is there any reasonably priced parking in the vicinity of the place?
Old 05-06-2008, 06:22 PM   #44
charlene

I doubt it - It's downtown Toronto and parking is expensive.

http://www.greenp.com/tpa/index.jsp
this is close: http://www.greenp.com/tpa/parkingloc...town/26/26.jsp
http://www.mcveighspub.com/map.html
Old 05-06-2008, 11:02 PM   #45
lighthead2toe

Quote:
Okay, I'll keep an eye open for further info ...
Hi T.G. I would recommend you bring along your small bass amp if possible. The system seems good but I really don't know for sure just how well it would stand up to a bass. Nobody was available to provide any further information. From what I recall from working there bass players played through a separate amp. Re-the parking: I payed a flat rate of $20 a day at the lot on the corner of Richmond and Victoria Streets (very close to the pub) last Monday when I was downtown. Ron J.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:52 AM   #46
T.G.

Okay, if I'm bypassing the PA system, it's probably better to bring the larger amp so it can keep up with the PA volume levels.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:13 AM   #47
lighthead2toe

Good idea T.G. Better safe than sorry. I find with many of these type gigs it's a good thing to have plan "B" in place. RJ.