banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2004, 01:21 PM   #26
Auburn Annie

Here's the Billboard review of the Nashville Acoustic Sessions:

RAUL MALO, PAT FLYNN, ROB ICKES, DAVE POMEROY
Album Title: The Nashville Acoustic Sessions
Producer(s): John Wooler
Genre: COUNTRY
Label/Catalog Number: CMH Records 8709
Release Date: March 30
Source: Billboard Magazine
Originally Reviewed: April 10, 2004

When Mavericks singer Raul Malo teams with classy pickers Pat Flynn (guitar), Rob Ickes (dobro) and Dave Pomeroy (bass) to interpret some songwriting titans, the results are at times quite extraordinary. That's certainly the case on a swaying, mesmerizing "Blue Bayou," an insistent take on Gordon Lightfoot's "Early Morning Rain" and a goosebump-inducing treatment of Hank Williams' "Weary Blues From Waitin'." Indeed, the quartet's choice of material is impeccable, from the Louvin Brothers' wry "The Great Atomic Power" and Bob Dylan's appreciative "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go" to a tender, powerful rendition of Gram Parson's "Hot Burrito #1." The pickin' is top-shelf on the latter and Jimmie Rodgers' "Waiting for a Train," then equally fine on "Moon River," a testament to musicianship and taste. Malo is truly a vocalist for the ages, and this project is a quiet glory.—RW
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 06:55 PM   #27
IN AWE

All I can say is, you better be GOOD if you plan on remaking anything this man has done first! LOL
IN AWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 07:24 AM   #28
Auburn Annie

Here's the review from the Miami Herald of the cover CD which includes Gord's Early Morning Rain:

The Nashville Acoustic Sessions

CMH Records

*** ˝

Three seasons of American Idol and its various spinoffs haven't killed the art of superb interpretive singing. Not if the latest CD from Mavericks singer Raul Malo and three top-flight bluegrass musicians can be entered into evidence.

The beautifully recorded Nashville Acoustic Sessions is a refreshingly casual effort -- voice, guitar, dobro and bass. It's the kind of simple record you'd imagine recording with friends in your living room if you had this kind of talent.

With his pure tenor, Malo is just right singing this CD's well-chosen selections which range from Henry Mancini to Bob Dylan to Hank Williams. Roy Orbison's Blue Bayou is a natural fit. Malo also shines on Gordon Lightfoot's Early Morning Rain, the Louvin Brothers' The Great Atomic Power, Gram Parsons' Hot Burrito #1, and the two departures into pop standards -- Moon River and (I Love You) For Sentimental Reasons.

The Nashville Acoustic Sessions was never intended to storm the country charts or land on the radio -- and it won't. But if you're a fan of good singing and playing you should seek it out.

Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 02:24 AM   #29
Borderstone

Let's not forget the 1998 discofied version of,"Read My Mind" by Stars on 54. From the movie,"54". While I don't think it's such a bad recording,I know most of you shudder at the thought! Despite that,it did hit the top 60 and actually rank higher than a few real GL singles did. Go figure. Benn me,later!

------------------
Borderstone,gonna post some lines tonight!:D
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 12:48 AM   #30
Borderstone

Here's one more I didn't imagine! While LP hunting today I noticed a 1974/75 Johnny Mathis LP called,"You've Got A Friend" an album of cover versions. Included:Johnny sings,"If You Could Read My Mind!" No,I did not buy it. If I had I'd either be telling you how sickening it is or how hilariously bad it is! I just really don't want any more versions of that song in my head. Stars on 54 is one thing,but I already have Olivia Newton John's version in there! Been me,Aurevoir!

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote