banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 01-23-2005, 04:21 PM   #1
Auburn Annie

The newswires are reporting Johnny Carson died at home earlier today/last night at age 79 from emphysema. He was one of those people who seem eternally youthful; expect a flood of specials and remembrances over the next few days.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 06:08 PM   #2
Borderstone

Hi Annie. Yes,at 2:50 here in Phoenix,I saw the news on CNN. I meant to put my own post here but forgot myself and put it on the main board.

I knew when I last saw him on ET that he realy didn't look well. I hope all the big networks have some sort of tribute and not just NBC. He's the type of performer I wish more of today's acts were like. Classy yet can be a bit on the naughty side too without being overbearing.

Was his Emphysima caused by his former smoking habit? Just wondering. My memories aof Johnny are on the main board,so I wont repeat myself here. Let's all stay tuned over the next few days or weeks for the tributes.
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 08:21 PM   #3
brink

NBC Dateline is having a special now as I type. I have a lot of wonderful memories of him since I am old enough to have watched him for many years. I remember the Michael Landon interview right before Michael died, what a tear jerker that was.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 12:05 AM   #4
weasel

I loved to watch Johnny laugh at his own jokes. He was great....and will be missed, as he already has on the "Tonight Show".
weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 01:17 PM   #5
mynameismudd

quote:Originally posted by Auburn Annie:
The newswires are reporting Johnny Carson died at home earlier today/last night at age 79 from emphysema. He was one of those people who seem eternally youthful; expect a flood of specials and remembrances over the next few days.

Do you know where I can see a picture of his yacht?

mynameismudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 05:16 PM   #6
violet Blue Horse

It took me a long time to process this one. I grew up watching him, literally. He started on the Tonight Show the same year I was born. My mother was addicted to his show. She thought he was cute. There was something incredibly special as a kid about being allowed to stay up late and watch his monologue.

What struck me in watching the tributes and listening to people who knew him talk about him is how many times I heard the word "decent" and "gentleman". I miss living in a world where decent people are valued. Being decent has gone out of style; it's not hip to be decent or considerate anymore. I don't just miss Johnny Carson, I miss that what he represented isn't much valued anymore.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:47 PM   #7
brink

Great tribute from you Violet. I would like to echo your sentiments. I miss decency and gentlemanly ways, but I have to admit I am as much to blame as the next guy. I always want to prove I can do it myself.
I too miss Johnny.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 04:28 AM   #8
The Rez

Just a few short fotomemories:

1966 - Being 20 and playing in a Rock band across the street from Melodyland, by Disneyland. One night after his show at Melodyland, Johnny and a few others came up to the penthouse dance club. On a break, I foolishly walked over to him and said, "I'm in the band." His reply, "I never would have guessed." He was as gracious as I was foolish.

1967 - Being 21, drafted, basic training at Ft Leonard Wood, weekend pass in St Louis. The Gateway Arch wasn't yet open to the public. 2 buddies & I went to King Auditorium (gone now, I think) to see Johnny Carson's show instead of troll for girls in The Gaslight (also gone now.) We had front seats, being in uniform. And I guess we stuck out. He brought us backstage and arranged for us to go up in the Arch w/ him the next day, which we did. What a treat (and he didn't remember me from a yr before, thankfully.) Again, gracious is the right word.

1984 - Working for a TV guy in Burbank & getting to know Johnny's 2nd wife, Joanne, who I called "Johanna" - his then current 3rd wife. She didn't like it.

My other memories are just like yours and the rest of America (and further) TV wizard. I'm grateful I met him those 2 times so long ago. Wish there could have been more. Gracious.

There's that word again. Flowing. Gracious. True.

The Rez

------------------
It was a Beautiful Rainbow
A Beautiful Time in my Life
A Thing to Share
A Time to Care
To Be Alive
The Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 07:22 PM   #9
The Rez

LOL - The Rez

"What Democracy Means to Me"

by Johnny Carson (1991)

To me, democracy means placing trust in the little guy, giving the

fruits of nationhood to those who built the nation. Democracy means anyone can grow up to be president, and anyone who doesn't grow up can be vice president.

Democracy is people of all races, colors, and creeds united by a single dream: to get rich and move to the suburbs away from people of all races, colors, and creeds. Democracy is having time set aside to worship God, 18 years if you're Jim Bakker.

Democracy is buying a big house you can't afford with money you don't have to impress people you wish were dead. And, unlike communism, democracy does not mean having just one ineffective political party; it means having two ineffective political parties.

Democracy means freedom of sexual choice between any two consentingadults; Utopia means freedom of choice between three or more consenting adults. But I digress.

Democracy is welcoming people from other lands, and giving them something to hold onto — usually a mop or a leaf blower.

It means that with proper timing and scrupulous bookkeeping, anyone can die
owing the government a huge amount of money.

Democracy means a thriving heartland with rolling fields of Alfalfa . . . Buckwheat, Spanky, and Wheezer.

Democracy means our elected officials bow to
the will of the people, but more often they bow to the big butts of campaign contributors.

Yes, democracy means fighting every day for what you deserve, and fighting even harder to keep other weaker people from getting what they deserve.

Democracy means never having the Secret Police show up at your door. Of course, it also means never having the cable guy show up at your door. It's a tradeoff.

Democracy means free television. Not good television, but free.

Democracy is being able to pick up the phone and, within a minute, betalking to anyone in the country, and, within two minutes, be interrupted by call waiting.

Democracy means no taxation without representation, and God knows, we've just about had the hell represented out of us.

It means the freedom to bear arms so you can blow the "o" out of any rural stop sign you want.

And finally, democracy is the eagle on the back of a dollar bill, with 13 arrows in one claw, 13 leaves on a branch, 13 tail feathers, and 13 stars over its head. This signifies that when the white man came to this country, it was bad luck for the Indians, bad luck for the trees, bad luck for the wildlife, and lights out for the American eagle.

I thank you.

------------------
It was a Beautiful Rainbow
A Beautiful Time in my Life
A Thing to Share
A Time to Care
To Be Alive
The Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 07:55 PM   #10
Borderstone

Don't forget the Carson tribute Sunday on The Oscars (c). For those of you tuning in.

[This message has been edited by Borderstone (edited February 27, 2005).]
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote