banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 08-14-2000, 03:02 AM   #26
Dorothea

Forgive me lord...A surprise hit?

(Despite the fact, that before last year,it wasn't even considered good enough for general release).

Frank.
Dorothea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2000, 08:11 PM   #27
rainydayperson

I listened to "Race Among The Ruins" driving to work this morning. I thought it had to get my vote Frank.
rainydayperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2000, 08:11 PM   #28
classicmixdj

I listened to "Race Among The Ruins" driving to work this morning. I thought it had to get my vote Frank.
classicmixdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2000, 08:42 PM   #29
Wingdrops

I agree with Race Among the Ruins, either of the two daughter songs (Fine As Fine Can Be, Not Supposed to Care), Watchman's Gone, Never to Close, and Beautiful.

2nd Cup of Coffee, It's Worth Believin' and Slide on Over might have made it on country charts.

------------------
"And the laughter came too easy for life to pass me by." - SDYS

[This message has been edited by 2Much2Lose (edited August 15, 2000).]
Wingdrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2000, 08:42 PM   #30
2Much2Lose

I agree with Race Among the Ruins, either of the two daughter songs (Fine As Fine Can Be, Not Supposed to Care), Watchman's Gone, Never to Close, and Beautiful.

2nd Cup of Coffee, It's Worth Believin' and Slide on Over might have made it on country charts.

------------------
"And the laughter came too easy for life to pass me by." - SDYS

[This message has been edited by 2Much2Lose (edited August 15, 2000).]
2Much2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 04:34 PM   #31
Borderstone

"Triangle"!! Definetely!!!
(And "End Of All Time">

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 02:30 AM   #32
miketouhy

quote:Originally posted by Gord:
without question...... Keeping on Yearnin.... pity it wasn't!!well don't know about releasing a song about going to the bathroom let alone wrting such a song. hahahahahahahahahahahaahhahaha!

Old 02-28-2005, 02:30 AM   #33
miketouhy

quote:Originally posted by Gord:
without question...... Keeping on Yearnin.... pity it wasn't!!well don't know about releasing a song about going to the bathroom let alone wrting such a song. hahahahahahahahahahahaahhahaha!

Old 02-28-2005, 02:42 PM   #34
The Rez

"Anything for Love" was supposed to be a hit. It was designed that way. That's why David Foster produced that one cut on East of Midnite and it sounds so different from of the others.

It's a fine song to begin w/ of course, but the Foster Hit Stamp was on that arrangement and mix on purpose.

And even then . . .

The Rez

------------------
It was a Beautiful Rainbow
A Beautiful Time in my Life
A Thing to Share
A Time to Care
To Be Alive
The Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 04:37 PM   #35
seahawk11

I'll Do Anything (from Shadows) always seemed like a song that Jimmy Buffett could really grab ahold of.
seahawk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 04:53 PM   #36
Borderstone

I think if Gord went and changed some the EOM songs to straight acoustic,like "I'll Tag Along",then they could have been hits. ..but then again it would have to be the '70s for that. Acoustic was MIA in the 80's!

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone

[This message has been edited by Borderstone (edited February 28, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Borderstone (edited February 28, 2005).]
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 07:08 PM   #37
Hagar

I saw Gord do Anything for Love in concert years ago, when he did it he seemed uncomfortable performing it. The song produced by David Foster was intended to be the greatest Canadian love song ever written to bad it never turned out that way, it just didn't seem to be Gord's style.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:08 PM   #38
Hagar

I saw Gord do Anything for Love in concert years ago, when he did it he seemed uncomfortable performing it. The song produced by David Foster was intended to be the greatest Canadian love song ever written to bad it never turned out that way, it just didn't seem to be Gord's style.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:12 PM   #39
Ducaire

quote:Originally posted by Frank v:

Is there a song, you think could have been a big hit,if it had been released as a single?

Frank.

I'm surprised that Rainbow Trout, Ordinary Man, and The Patriots Dream were not hits...

Old 02-28-2005, 08:12 PM   #40
Ducaire

quote:Originally posted by Frank v:

Is there a song, you think could have been a big hit,if it had been released as a single?

Frank.

I'm surprised that Rainbow Trout, Ordinary Man, and The Patriots Dream were not hits...

Old 02-28-2005, 08:24 PM   #41
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

I don't think that "Watchman" would have done anything if it was released as a single. Even tho it's my 2nd favorite Gord tune ever, first, they'd have to edit out the word s**t from it, secondly, it has too much of a "folk" song feel to do much on pop radio. "Sundown" also had a folk sound, but the backing harmonies and the hook was just too good for it not to sound good on the radio. "Carefree Highway" just flowed so well it was able to be a hit as well. All in my humble opinion of course.
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 08:24 PM   #42
Rob1956

I don't think that "Watchman" would have done anything if it was released as a single. Even tho it's my 2nd favorite Gord tune ever, first, they'd have to edit out the word s**t from it, secondly, it has too much of a "folk" song feel to do much on pop radio. "Sundown" also had a folk sound, but the backing harmonies and the hook was just too good for it not to sound good on the radio. "Carefree Highway" just flowed so well it was able to be a hit as well. All in my humble opinion of course.
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 10:11 AM   #43
Next Saturday

Too Much to Lose. In an era that sent Raindrops Keep Fallin on My Head to the top of the charts, this would have been a winner too.
________
iolite reviews

Last edited by Next Saturday; 01-19-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Next Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 10:41 AM   #44
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

quote:Originally posted by classicmixdj:

It was on a single; in fact, on more than one. It was issued as a b-side with Wreck, and was also an a-side with Protocol. I always thought it was a great song; perhaps it was just overshadowed.

And I definitely agree about Too Much To Lose. That song, if released in 1972 would have been a big hit. I think it is the most "accessible" song of all the previously unreleased. That doesn't mean "best", although it is my favorite of the 16, but I think it would have had the widest appeal. Holding that one out for 3 decades was a shame. I think that if Rhino did singles, it might have enjoyed success on Country radio in 2002. I even suggested that (wonder how long they laughed, although Thane didn't laugh at all).

------------------
Valerie Magee

Visit my business site at mageenet.biz, Hamilton Camp's Offical Web Site at hamiltoncamp.com , and Cathy Cowette's web site at cathycowette.com. Also visit Dr. Jack's Lightfoot page.
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 07:50 PM   #45
Rona

I can think of two that if they were sung by some chap named Garth and came out of "Nashville" would be mega hits, no question! They are: Lifeline and Keep on Yearin'. The other which I could see a gospel hit would be Forgive me Lord. Good Songs!
Rona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 07:50 PM   #46
Paul H

I can think of two that if they were sung by some chap named Garth and came out of "Nashville" would be mega hits, no question! They are: Lifeline and Keep on Yearin'. The other which I could see a gospel hit would be Forgive me Lord. Good Songs!
Paul H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 07:23 PM   #47
Wes Steele

Hello Everyone...

"It's Worth Believin"....

or

"Now & Then"
Wes Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 06:23 PM   #48
Janice

I have nothing to contribute to this topic, but I just had to say "Hi Wes!!"

We haven't heard from you in a while - hope you're doing well. Are you going to make it up for the Massey concerts this year?

Janice
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 03:37 PM   #49
Rich Man Spiritual

I think that "End of All Time" would make an excellent single and might even get some moderate rotation on adult contemporary stations.

As for unreleased songs, "Stone Cold Sober" would have been a great single.

Cheers,
Brian www.thebarnacles.com
Rich Man Spiritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 03:37 PM   #50
Meekrofilm

I think that "End of All Time" would make an excellent single and might even get some moderate rotation on adult contemporary stations.

As for unreleased songs, "Stone Cold Sober" would have been a great single.

Cheers,
Brian www.thebarnacles.com
Meekrofilm is offline   Reply With Quote