banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-26-2004, 04:20 PM   #926
GoGoGordo

Oh my God, I can't believe you actually took the time to find my photograph on the net. Yes, that's me in all my comedic glory.
GoGoGordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 10:06 PM   #927
lexie

Early morning rain
Old 09-29-2004, 10:06 PM   #928
lexie

Early morning rain
Old 09-30-2004, 03:14 AM   #929
Bill Mays

My Favorite Song is Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald, Because even though it happened 2 years before i was born I can Relate to it, Im from New England originally and Some of My family Members are and Some now Dead are Commercial Fisherman And Some Have Died At Sea, So When I hear the Song It sends Shivers Down My Spine Like Ghosts Haunting in the Melody of the Song. eerie But Damn Good Song, Also Carefree Highway is my 2nd Favorite. My Friends Pick on me Because Most 26 yr olds dont listen to Gord, But He's So Awesome. Rock on Gord!!!
Bill Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 03:14 AM   #930
GoGoGordo

My Favorite Song is Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald, Because even though it happened 2 years before i was born I can Relate to it, Im from New England originally and Some of My family Members are and Some now Dead are Commercial Fisherman And Some Have Died At Sea, So When I hear the Song It sends Shivers Down My Spine Like Ghosts Haunting in the Melody of the Song. eerie But Damn Good Song, Also Carefree Highway is my 2nd Favorite. My Friends Pick on me Because Most 26 yr olds dont listen to Gord, But He's So Awesome. Rock on Gord!!!
GoGoGordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 02:40 PM   #931
Young Listener

Don't worry Go Go Gordo; I am only 20, and I have listened to more hours of Lightfoot than I could ever count. Studying, Going to bed, preparing food, on bus rides to track meets, and the list goes on and on. I too have been picked on for it, but I don't let anyone come between me and my favorite music. "Wild Strawberries," "Restless," and "Seven Island Suite" are on the top of my list.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:40 PM   #932
Young Listener

Don't worry Go Go Gordo; I am only 20, and I have listened to more hours of Lightfoot than I could ever count. Studying, Going to bed, preparing food, on bus rides to track meets, and the list goes on and on. I too have been picked on for it, but I don't let anyone come between me and my favorite music. "Wild Strawberries," "Restless," and "Seven Island Suite" are on the top of my list.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:19 PM   #933
hercules411us

Beautiful. Fan from Ohio. Fell in love with the music 35 years ago. In 1976 I met a woman who was wonderful. I wrote out the Lyrics of Beautiful and left them on her windshield. She became my wife and still is. Beautiful that is. Thank you Gordon.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:19 PM   #934
hercules411us

Beautiful. Fan from Ohio. Fell in love with the music 35 years ago. In 1976 I met a woman who was wonderful. I wrote out the Lyrics of Beautiful and left them on her windshield. She became my wife and still is. Beautiful that is. Thank you Gordon.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:21 AM   #935
Northern Lighfoot

Man!! He's my Campfire buddy. i remember my mom liking him and hearing him as he hit the radio hard in 1973-74-75. He'll always bring back wonderful memories and teach me something new at the same time. Early Morning Rain is a sentimental fave as i got use to hearing it on my twilight returns from Fly fishing in the Au Sable River in Michigan. Pine Trees,Orange-Purple skies a soft breeze and Gordon. thanks guy...you'll always be "Up-North" to me!

Mike
Old 10-16-2004, 10:21 AM   #936
Northern Lighfoot

Man!! He's my Campfire buddy. i remember my mom liking him and hearing him as he hit the radio hard in 1973-74-75. He'll always bring back wonderful memories and teach me something new at the same time. Early Morning Rain is a sentimental fave as i got use to hearing it on my twilight returns from Fly fishing in the Au Sable River in Michigan. Pine Trees,Orange-Purple skies a soft breeze and Gordon. thanks guy...you'll always be "Up-North" to me!

Mike
Old 10-17-2004, 02:34 AM   #937
jeremy london england

just heard early morning rain. it is so simple and so perfect. what was it inspired by, you experts?
Old 10-17-2004, 02:34 AM   #938
jeremy london england

just heard early morning rain. it is so simple and so perfect. what was it inspired by, you experts?
Old 10-23-2004, 06:09 PM   #939
N for Nile

If You Could Read My Mind is my favorite Lightfoot song and song is probably my favorite song, period. I was 13 when it was a hit on the radio and from the first time I heard it, it has been the one song that I have never been tired of. It's the song that when it comes on the radio, you turn it up and tell everyone to be quiet for a minute. It makes you feel sad and good at the same time. It's just a beautiful piece of song craft and I know it has never gotten the acclaim that it deserves as a truly great song. Other GL songs that I love are Early Morning Rain, I'm Not Supposed to Care, Bitter Green, and The Circle is Small. And even though he didn't write it, his version of The First Time Ever I saw Your Face is absolutely incredible. I am glad I found this page and hope to visit it again soon.
N for Nile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 06:09 PM   #940
ScottD

If You Could Read My Mind is my favorite Lightfoot song and song is probably my favorite song, period. I was 13 when it was a hit on the radio and from the first time I heard it, it has been the one song that I have never been tired of. It's the song that when it comes on the radio, you turn it up and tell everyone to be quiet for a minute. It makes you feel sad and good at the same time. It's just a beautiful piece of song craft and I know it has never gotten the acclaim that it deserves as a truly great song. Other GL songs that I love are Early Morning Rain, I'm Not Supposed to Care, Bitter Green, and The Circle is Small. And even though he didn't write it, his version of The First Time Ever I saw Your Face is absolutely incredible. I am glad I found this page and hope to visit it again soon.
ScottD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 06:28 PM   #941
Auburn Annie

quote:Originally posted by jeremy london england:

One of Wayne Francis' album reviews has this:
"And then Early Morning Rain! What more can be said about this song that hasn't already been said? Covered by the likes of Dylan and Presley, it was written in 1964, but Lightfoot drew upon an experience some six years earlier when he was studying music in Los Angeles in 1958 and he found himself at LAX one early morning, more than a little homesick."

Also from Wayne Francis:

"I've recently come across a Lightfoot quote that clarifies a lingering
question on this group, that is, what inspired the idea for Early Morning
Rain.

Lightfoot attended Westlake College of Music in LA back in 1959 as a 20 year
old, and he has confessed to feeling homesick at times while out there. I can certainly relate. I travelled a couple thousand miles to university when I was 19 and I knew the feeling well.

Anyway, Lightfoot says there was a particular day when he was at the LA
airport in 1959, when he had those feelings of longing for home. The idea stuck and 5 or 6 years later he drew upon that day to begin writing Early Morning Rain.

Lightfoot's stay at Westlake proved invaluable to him in more ways than simply giving him the musical theory training he's put to such good use! So that dollar in his hand was a US dollar! Who would've guessed!?

Wayne"

Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 06:28 PM   #942
Auburn Annie

quote:Originally posted by jeremy london england:

One of Wayne Francis' album reviews has this:
"And then Early Morning Rain! What more can be said about this song that hasn't already been said? Covered by the likes of Dylan and Presley, it was written in 1964, but Lightfoot drew upon an experience some six years earlier when he was studying music in Los Angeles in 1958 and he found himself at LAX one early morning, more than a little homesick."

Also from Wayne Francis:

"I've recently come across a Lightfoot quote that clarifies a lingering
question on this group, that is, what inspired the idea for Early Morning
Rain.

Lightfoot attended Westlake College of Music in LA back in 1959 as a 20 year
old, and he has confessed to feeling homesick at times while out there. I can certainly relate. I travelled a couple thousand miles to university when I was 19 and I knew the feeling well.

Anyway, Lightfoot says there was a particular day when he was at the LA
airport in 1959, when he had those feelings of longing for home. The idea stuck and 5 or 6 years later he drew upon that day to begin writing Early Morning Rain.

Lightfoot's stay at Westlake proved invaluable to him in more ways than simply giving him the musical theory training he's put to such good use! So that dollar in his hand was a US dollar! Who would've guessed!?

Wayne"

Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 03:22 PM   #943
Sophie

"Promises". I think it's on the Shadows album. It's sweet and romantic, but realistic. It evokes memories of lost love without any bitterness. But really, the list of 'favorites' is quite long. Got on this site wondering what Gordon is up to now?
Old 10-24-2004, 03:22 PM   #944
Sophie

"Promises". I think it's on the Shadows album. It's sweet and romantic, but realistic. It evokes memories of lost love without any bitterness. But really, the list of 'favorites' is quite long. Got on this site wondering what Gordon is up to now?
Old 10-24-2004, 03:30 PM   #945
djb

Thank You For The Promises, perhaps?

Good song on an underrated album.
Old 10-24-2004, 03:30 PM   #946
djb

Thank You For The Promises, perhaps?

Old 10-28-2004, 03:30 PM   #947
sophie

quote:Originally posted by djb:
Thank You For The Promises, perhaps? Yes, tthat's the one. Thanks.

Old 10-28-2004, 03:30 PM   #948
sophie

quote:Originally posted by djb:
Thank You For The Promises, perhaps? Yes, tthat's the one. Thanks.

Old 10-28-2004, 07:08 PM   #949
Marcia

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald raised goosebumps up and down my body when I first heard it many, many years ago. I am listening to it right now (Itunes), and it still has the same effect on me.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:08 PM   #950
Marcia

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald raised goosebumps up and down my body when I first heard it many, many years ago. I am listening to it right now (Itunes), and it still has the same effect on me.