banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 09-15-2016, 09:18 AM   #1
3pennies

Default Morristown NJ Sept 14, 2016

I wasn't able to jot town the setlist (hopefully someone else can provide) but here are some thoughts on the show last night :

I've now seen Gord 5 times since 2008 (prior to that was 1981 - a little gap), this was the best show of the 5

The most talkative I've seen, stories of partying in LA in the 70's, long lead in to Edmund F, introduced the band twice, American election season. Mentioned that Tony Bennett was 90...

The band was very energetic and Rick played the funkiest bass I've heard from him. He excelled on Watchman's Gone. Both Rick and Carter appeared to be wringing notes from their instruments

Pulled out the 12 string for Canadian Railroad

Very enjoyable show. Didn't realize until the end that Kim was sitting in front of the production booth guys a few seats away from me
3pennies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:43 AM   #2
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles
Default Re: Morristown NJ Sept 14, 2016

[quote=3pennies;189508]I wasn't able to jot town the setlist (hopefully someone else can provide) [/quote]
Only too happy to oblige thruppence, see below I am sorry we did not arrange to meet (in fact it was a bit doubtful until about 3:30 that I would be going due to my Sang Froid (the Englishman's usual bloody cold as Paddy Roberts once memorably sang)
Gord was in generally good form except for having trouble getting the first line of Never Too Close requiring two restarts. he was quite chatty including reminiscing about Los Angeles parties on Santa Monica Blvd in the 50's.
We felt that the audience was comparatively quite laid back, although there were at least three standing ovations.

For the first time for a long time I memorised the complete 2-set setlist using the mnumonic method that I have repeatedly mentioned (there is a detailed explanation in my posting to the Massey Hall 2008 thread). see:-
http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showpost.p...1&postcount=26
That method relies on associating a song title with rhyming or otherwise suitable/memorable key words , so doing so for two sets is a real challenge since it is hard to come up with words representing numbers greater than 14, so I had to start over with one-bun for set 2 then when recalling later trying not to get confused by the resulting two associations for each number (let alone mix them up with memories of previous exercises).I was particularly pleased this time with my links for five "hive" which I find hard to come up with at the best of times:
in the first set I imagined a flight of bees attacking a horse (and horseman) hence Don Quixote.
for the second set I came up with "making a bee line" i.e. pressing on (I'd Rather Press On)
Anyway the setlists were
Set One
Sweet Guinevere
Did She Mention My Name
Waiting For You
Never Too Close
Don Quixote
Clouds of Loneliness
Rainy Day People
Spanish Moss/Shadows
Beautiful
A Painter Passing Through
The Watchman's Gone
The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald
Carefree Highway
Set Two
Now And Then
Ribbon Of Darkness/Sundown
14 Karat Gold
I'd Rather Press On
The Minstrel Of The Dawn
Let It Ride
If You Could Read My Mind
Restless

Baby Step Back
Canadian Railroad Trilogy
Encore
Cold On The Shoulder

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

Last edited by johnfowles; 09-15-2016 at 11:58 AM. Reason: add omitted Baby Step back to set 2
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:24 PM   #3
johnfowles

[quote=johnfowles;189509I am sorry we did not arrange to meet (in fact it was a bit doubtful until about 3:30 that I would be going due to my Sang Froid (the Englishman's usual bloody cold as Paddy Roberts once memorably sang)[/quote]
As I am still sniffling this morning and love Paddy's lyrics here is a non-video YouTube offering
I especially like
"the Englishman's a suet pud
who has many foibles some of them are past belief
he is still of the opinion that the folk in each dominion still think of him as the big white chief!!"

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm

Last edited by johnfowles; 09-15-2016 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:21 PM   #4
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfowles;189509[SIZE=3
Only too happy to oblige thruppence, [/SIZE]
JUst in case you wondered what I was getting at 3pennies,a word of explanation.

Here is a UK pre decimalisation theepenny coin

known in some UK dialects as a "thruppence" earlier this had been a silver coin (I might still have one in my old coin connection)

I meant no one no harm

Old 09-16-2016, 06:22 AM   #5
paskatefan

We were there, too, about an hour half drive from Philly, PA - our closest show for this season) . Gordon talked about how some Irish fans talked about how TWOTEF was based on an Irish funeral dirge (!) according to them!

I was singing along (quietly) with "Never Too Close," as if trying to help Gordon remember the lyrics in order.

We got to meet Kim this time, and spoke to her! I told her she got in our pics (in the background) last year. Very pleasant encounter!

Gail
paskatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:06 PM   #6
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

I took my sister who lives about 30 minutes from Morristown. Sort of a last minute thing. I looked for tickets days before the show and there were two in Row A dead center. That's row 3 in this venue. I had to buy them.
I agree that he was in the best voice and best mood I had seen in years. My sister who attended one other show with us about ten years ago thought he and the band were great.
I was going to stand up before the prompt 8PM start and shout "anyone from corfid here?" but I was tired from my trip North and unusually reserved, for me anyway.

He really looked like he could do another 15 years, I was SO glad we decided to attend. Also Morristown is really nice for eating, drinking, reading, etc. and just strolling around.

Hope to see you all at our next crossroads,

Bill

P.S. I had to do the "over me" routine. I think some others helped me.
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:36 AM   #7
paskatefan

BillW, I see you're from Salisbury, MD. We just happen to be in Ocean City, MD right now, visiting a cousin who lives & works there. Glad you made it to this concert. I agree that Morristown is a charming little town. We spent the afternoon there, visiting a museum, then had dinner @ one of the cafes before the concert, and then walked around for a while.

One other thing that struck me @ this concert that I hadn't noticed before. There were a number of people who clapped @ the end of the first part of the Trilogy. I guess these were people who were unfamiliar with it, not realizing that it is a much longer song. In the past I remember people clapping after Gordon would sing ''and many are the dead men ..." during that pause. That didn't happen this time. I was also curious if some people would clap during that pause near the end of "Don Quixote," but that didn't happen either.

Charlene, Gordon thanked me AGAIN for that school edition Big Book "The Big Fitz" that I gave him a few years ago! He is such a gracious guy!

Gail
paskatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:03 AM   #8
formerlylavender

Glad you all had fun! Sounds like Gord was in great form and chatty which is great.

Bill, that's great that your sister was able to attend and enjoyed it so much! What great seats and how lucky that you got them last minute - that was meant to be.

We will have another one on the books soon hopefully
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:00 AM   #9
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerlylavender View Post
Bill, that's great that your sister was able to attend and enjoyed it so much! What great seats and how lucky that you got them last minute - that was meant to be.

We will have another one on the books soon hopefully
Thanks Lisa - It's hard for me to imagine why he would skip Glenside PA this year but book the Rams Head On Stage 2X. It is sold out again and that's great but the high price of the tickets for the whole dinner table type venue is not attractive. But until they put me in charge of scheduling we'll just have to go with the flow.

Here's hoping he shows up someplace more convenient sooner than later.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote