banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-11-2006, 04:51 AM   #51
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Quote:
Originally posted by MistyMoppens:

I've always thought the song smacked of "sour grapes" with the lines, "I've got a hundred more like you. I'll have a thousand before I'm through."

Fascinating comments, everyone! [/QB]
It's all in the ear of the listener it seems because I have always heard the same line as simple arithmetic. As they say "by the numbers".

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 03:38 PM   #52
Jennifer

I don't think chauvinistic would be the right word; perhaps insensitive, arrogant would be more fitting. But I love this song, and the way he sings this is a hoot. Its impossible to find anything offensive about it especially if you juxtapose it to some of the *truly* chauvinistic music that's around today!
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 04:10 PM   #53
Jesse Joe

Right on Jennifer, your a smart woman, your gone a do good here...Jesse.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 05:43 PM   #54
Jennifer

Why, thank you... (grin)
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:05 PM   #55
marc in maine

This is a fun song because of it's melody and shocking honesty.
marc in maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:48 PM   #56
brink-

Yeah! Marc is back. You are safe now, I finished my english course. lol
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 08:22 AM   #57
marc in maine

Thanks, Brink. Is the Watchman gone?
Old 08-05-2006, 09:16 AM   #58
DJ in MJ

He was gone, but seems to pop in occasionally.
DJ in MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 04:44 PM   #59
DJ in MJ

Brought back this old topic. Why, you ask? When I woke up this afternoon, after my daily slumber from a long nightshift, I put on one of the early Best Of CDs. Of course I got to hear not only "For Lovin' Me", but also "I'm Not Sayin' ". These two songs fit together very well theme-wise, and it's not just the apostrophe replacing the missing G in each title.

It was quite a pleasant experience too. Waking up at 4 in the afternoon, in a flat in the middle of Stockholm, and listening to some cheeky shenanigans over that first steaming cup of coffee. A great way to start the day! :D
Old 08-26-2006, 05:12 PM   #60
Jesse Joe

Are you saying your from Sweden, David(djb)? If so ever see ABBA? They were my fav group of the 80's...Jesse.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:12 PM   #61
Jesse Joe

Are you saying your from Sweden, David(djb)? If so ever see ABBA? They were my fav group of the 80's...Jesse.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:31 PM   #62
DJ in MJ

No, GL and I share the same birthplace (Orillia). He's just a bit more famous than me, that's all. :D

I have permanent residence status to live and work in Sweden since '99, but I am still, and always will be, a Canadiac citizen.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:37 PM   #63
Jesse Joe

All right, great birthplace indeed. Thanks for the info...Jesse
Old 08-26-2006, 05:52 PM   #64
My Name is Ann

I'm happy to see this thread revived.

Speaking as a "child of the sixties/seventies" who was/is very much into the woman's movement, I can honestly say that I've never been offended by this song.

I hear it as a song of someone who assumes a certain "self protective" arrogance. Someone who loves so deeply, has been hurt and puts on a defensive/offensive posture or shell to shield himself from more hurt.

I don't take his lyrics literally - I believe they leave us all with a lot of latitude to take away from them what we wish.

I also like the view that was expressed earlier in this thread that he may be making himself out to be a worse cad than he is in order to make it easier for the other person in the relationship to just get on with their life instead of pining over him.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:07 PM   #65
DJ in MJ

Quote:
Originally posted by My Name is Ann:
I don't take his lyrics literally - I believe they leave us all with a lot of latitude to take away from them what we wish.
All excellent points, Ann. Relationships are far too intertwined to ever be able to see it from one perspective or one reason.

We also have to remember that attitudes are a sign of the times. So when we hear or see something from 30-40 years ago, we have to try and recall what it was like back then, rather than solely place today's values on the subject matter. It makes for interesting reflections, as we are constantly growing both as a society and as individuals.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:28 PM   #66
marc in maine

The song is meant to be amusing. It rings true and truth can be very funny. I'm not sayin' (no pun intended) it's "very funny", but that it's VERY amusing (to me). Enjoy it!
Old 08-26-2006, 06:34 PM   #67
My Name is Ann

Quote:
Originally posted by marc in maine:
The song is meant to be amusing. It rings true and truth can be very funny. I'm not sayin' (no pun intended) it's "very funny", but that it's VERY amusing (to me). Enjoy it!
I agree, Marc.
I just listened to it again and realized that each time I hear it I get a silly grin on my face. I think it's the combination of the upbeat melody and the outrageous lyrics that just makes me smile. :D
Old 08-26-2006, 06:41 PM   #68
Barry Shanley

That's it Ann. His success is the melody that is chosen for his lyrics, or is it the other way around? Could this be a topic for a new thread or has it already been covered?
Barry Shanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 06:41 PM   #69
marc in maine

That's it Ann. His success is the melody that is chosen for his lyrics, or is it the other way around? Could this be a topic for a new thread or has it already been covered?
Old 08-26-2006, 06:44 PM   #70
Wesley

I probably need to look up that word in the dictionary since chauvinistic a reletivly new word to me but I've heard of similar songs where the guy is a rambler and it's time for him to move on.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 06:44 PM   #71
Affair on Touhy Ave.

I probably need to look up that word in the dictionary since chauvinistic a reletivly new word to me but I've heard of similar songs where the guy is a rambler and it's time for him to move on.
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 07:22 PM   #72
DJ in MJ

I don't usually take music or other forms of entertainment "seriously" either. The reason, of course, is that it is just that - entertainment. In fact, I get the silly grin when I listen to those two GL songs too. It's fun to be a bit of a cad sometimes, even if it's just in my imagination. :D
Old 08-27-2006, 10:04 AM   #73
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

I think it's chauvinistic, but maybe it was just a sign of the times that it was written in. I think society, as a whole, was generally more chauvinistic in the mid '60s. The women's lib movement was just getting off the ground. Had the song been written in the mid '70's, it probably wouldn't have gotten much airplay. People were more 'aware' that women had taken a big step in becoming men's equals.
I don't think Gord should be a bit ashamed of the song. It's like an old photo... just a snapshot of an era.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:53 AM   #74
Jesse Joe

Chauvinistic or not, I like it. Wnen Gords divorce was finalize, with first wife Brita. Her Lawyer turned to Gord in court and said "That's what you get for lovin me."

I imagine Gord must have been a little mad. At that time, it was considered to be the highest cash settlement, in Canadian Divorce history... MaCleans Magazine May, 1978...Jesse.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:53 AM   #75
Jesse Joe

Chauvinistic or not, I like it. Wnen Gords divorce was finalize, with first wife Brita. Her Lawyer turned to Gord in court and said "That's what you get for lovin me."

I imagine Gord must have been a little mad. At that time, it was considered to be the highest cash settlement, in Canadian Divorce history... MaCleans Magazine May, 1978...Jesse.