banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-30-2004, 06:54 PM   #1
cjm1971

Hi! I saw this on CBC lately as a fill in and it was great. I don't know exactly what year it was really recorded - could even be 1998 or '99 but Im wondering how I can get this. Is there anyone out there who knows what I'm talking about or have seen it?? I desperately want this!! thanks for any info.

Fred
cjm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 06:54 PM   #2
Revfred

Hi! I saw this on CBC lately as a fill in and it was great. I don't know exactly what year it was really recorded - could even be 1998 or '99 but Im wondering how I can get this. Is there anyone out there who knows what I'm talking about or have seen it?? I desperately want this!! thanks for any info.

Fred
Revfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 12:00 AM   #3
Tyler

Is it the live in Reno?
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 12:00 AM   #4
brink

Is it the live in Reno?
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 07:29 AM   #5
cjm1971

Not sure where, but it was a special concert sponsered by the CBC I believe. Maybe it was Massey Hall in TO. I really wish I could find this. thanks for the reply. If you find out any more info., please let me know, thanks. Maybe I'll call the CBC...

Fred
Old 05-01-2004, 07:29 AM   #6
Revfred

Not sure where, but it was a special concert sponsered by the CBC I believe. Maybe it was Massey Hall in TO. I really wish I could find this. thanks for the reply. If you find out any more info., please let me know, thanks. Maybe I'll call the CBC...

Fred
Old 05-01-2004, 12:18 PM   #7
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

quote:Originally posted by Revfred:

Fred

It's the shortened version of the Live In Reno concert, which has been out on DVD for a couple of years now. Most online stores have it.

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com

Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 02:08 PM   #8
cjm1971

Thanks so much Cathy - I'll be picking it up! Fred
Old 05-01-2004, 02:08 PM   #9
Revfred

Old 05-01-2004, 05:28 PM   #10
Cathy

It was made as a special for a PBS fund drive, but the shortened version aired on CBC before the PBS special aired in the states. I live on the border of Maine and New Brunswick, so I was able to pick it up on CBC out of St. John, NB.

Old 05-01-2004, 06:54 PM   #11
cjm1971

You live on the border of Maine and NB? Amazing, because I do too! - on the NB side in Woodstock, 15 minutes from a little town called Houlton! Can you tell me then where I can possibly buy this? Would I find it in the main mall in Presque-Ile? I'm only about 50 min. away. I don't think Fredericton would carry it. thanks so much

Fred
Old 05-01-2004, 06:54 PM   #12
Revfred

You live on the border of Maine and NB? Amazing, because I do too! - on the NB side in Woodstock, 15 minutes from a little town called Houlton! Can you tell me then where I can possibly buy this? Would I find it in the main mall in Presque-Ile? I'm only about 50 min. away. I don't think Fredericton would carry it. thanks so much

Fred
Old 05-01-2004, 07:23 PM   #13
Cathy

Fred

Freaky. Just too darned freaky! I live about 60 miles north of Houlton, in a town called Limestone. It's across the border from Grand Falls. I've been to Woodstock several times.

I don't think you will find it in the Presque Isle Mall (by the way, I work in Presque Isle), but I'm sure they could order it for you at FYE. Amazon.com is carrying it for $22.95 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...605583-8945752

I would think you could go into any local music / DVD shop and order it.

Do you by chance play the guitar?

Old 05-01-2004, 07:30 PM   #14
Cathy

Fred

There is also a guy from Houlton who posts on the Lightfoot newsgroup. I don't remember his name, though. I tried to initiate a conversation with him a few years ago, but he didn't seem overly friendly.
When I first joined the newsgroup, alt.music.lightfoot, I was amazed to find a guy from Fort Fairfield posted there regularly. I grew up in Fort Fairfield and live just 10 miles away from him.
The Internet is making the world smaller and smaller.

Old 05-01-2004, 08:53 PM   #15
cjm1971

quote:Originally posted by Cathy:
Freaky. Just too darned freaky! I live about 60 miles north of Houlton, in a town called Limestone. It's across the border from Grand Falls. I've been to Woodstock several times.

I don't think you will find it in the Presque Isle Mall (by the way, I work in Presque Isle), but I'm sure they could order it for you at FYE. Amazon.com is carrying it for $22.95 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...605583-8945752

This IS definitely freaky!! And yes, I do play the guitar - I've been playing for years. I play a 12-string, and I've had a 12-string Gibson B-45 now for the last 10 years - the same one Lightfoot has on the cover of his Sundown album and of course used on many of his albums. Before that I had a 12-string Martin, which was good too. The fact you actually live so close by to where I live is incredibly weird. Hard to believe....but I guess it proves that the world is not as so distant in many ways as we often think. I've followed Lightfoot from the early 70's and was going to University in Toronto (U of T), when he was living and recording at Eastern Sound Studio in TO. He was annualy doing concerts at Massey Hall in TO too. I believe his " Sunday Concert" album was recorded there.
Anyway, Im going to go to Presque Isle to the music store in the mall, which I've been to a few times, and see if they can order the video or DVD. Is it called " Live in Reno"? Incidentally, I've gone to Mardens in Presque Isle like everyone else, but now we have one in Houlton! btw - how long have you been a Lightfoot fan? Do you play guitar too? Never been to Limestone, but I was in Grand Falls last year.

Fred

Old 05-01-2004, 08:53 PM   #16
Revfred

This IS definitely freaky!! And yes, I do play the guitar - I've been playing for years. I play a 12-string, and I've had a 12-string Gibson B-45 now for the last 10 years - the same one Lightfoot has on the cover of his Sundown album and of course used on many of his albums. Before that I had a 12-string Martin, which was good too. The fact you actually live so close by to where I live is incredibly weird. Hard to believe....but I guess it proves that the world is not as so distant in many ways as we often think. I've followed Lightfoot from the early 70's and was going to University in Toronto (U of T), when he was living and recording at Eastern Sound Studio in TO. He was annualy doing concerts at Massey Hall in TO too. I believe his " Sunday Concert" album was recorded there.
Anyway, Im going to go to Presque Isle to the music store in the mall, which I've been to a few times, and see if they can order the video or DVD. Is it called " Live in Reno"? Incidentally, I've gone to Mardens in Presque Isle like everyone else, but now we have one in Houlton! btw - how long have you been a Lightfoot fan? Do you play guitar too? Never been to Limestone, but I was in Grand Falls last year.

Fred

Old 05-01-2004, 09:45 PM   #17
muklucannie

Cathy plays guitar extremely well and she sings great too! www.cathycowette.com has some samples of her playing and singing.
SHe's one of the fabulous members of the Internet Lightfoot Tribute Band.....one talented lady!!!
Char
muklucannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 09:45 PM   #18
Char1

Cathy plays guitar extremely well and she sings great too! www.cathycowette.com has some samples of her playing and singing.
SHe's one of the fabulous members of the Internet Lightfoot Tribute Band.....one talented lady!!!
Char
Char1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 09:47 PM   #19
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Small World, indeed.

Bill

BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 10:18 PM   #20
cjm1971

quote:Originally posted by Char1:
Char

Obviously, I had absolutely no idea how good you were Cathy! I enjoyed listening (thanks Char!) and nice to hear someone play Lightfoot with great expertise as you do. Your guitar work and picking is just phenomenal - exactly like Lightfoot's original "travis" style. You've got the music in you. I'll enjoy listening to the Fogelberg and Simon tunes on your site too. thanks. Stay in touch,

Fred

Old 05-01-2004, 10:18 PM   #21
Revfred

Char

Obviously, I had absolutely no idea how good you were Cathy! I enjoyed listening (thanks Char!) and nice to hear someone play Lightfoot with great expertise as you do. Your guitar work and picking is just phenomenal - exactly like Lightfoot's original "travis" style. You've got the music in you. I'll enjoy listening to the Fogelberg and Simon tunes on your site too. thanks. Stay in touch,

Fred

Old 05-02-2004, 09:04 AM   #22
Cathy

Char

You're hired. Is a 10% cut okay with you?
LOL. Let's see.... 10% of nothing is......
uhhhhh...
It's still more than Ed paid you, isn't it?

Old 05-02-2004, 09:26 AM   #23
Cathy

Quote:
Originally posted by Cathy:

Fred
I attempted to answer this last night, but my computer decided to reboot itself right before I hit send, so I decided to give up and go to bed.

Yes, I play guitar, too. I have two favorites, a D-15 (it still smells so good), and a new OM28V that is just starting to break in nicely.

Lightfoot still uses B-45s in concert, two identical sunburst ones. He tunes one in dropped D and one in standard.

I've been listening to him since the late 60s. Mom and Dad had a couple of his UA albums. I didn't really get hooked though, until 1971, when I saw him on CBC singing If You Could Read My Mind. That performance changed my entire outlook on the music I wanted to pursue for the rest of my life. I lost track of him in the early 80s. By then I was married and raising two boys. I found him again in the mid 90s.

Up until his illness, Gord was still doing Massey concerts every 18 months. In May of 2001, 70 of us Internet fans met in Toronto for the concerts. What a time that was! We had a bunch of very cool jam sessions. We were planning on doing it again in November 2003, but that didn't happen because of Gord's illness. Maybe next year, though.

I would think you could order Live In Reno at any of the record stores in Woodstock or Fredericton. I know you can order it at FYE in the Presque Isle Mall, and it's still available on amazon.com and CDNow.com for $22.95.

I haven't been to Marden's in Houlton. I don't see much sense in it, considering there is one in Presque Isle. I been known to frequent it.

There are a bunch of us that play guitars. In fact, there's a young Lightfoot fan in Bath, NB named Bruno Hasche and another in PEI, Steve Gallant. Also, Wayne Francis, the guy who does one of the Lightfoot websites, lives in PEI and is an excellent guitarist. And I'm sure there are a whole bunch I don't even know about.

Did you have plans to go to the Atlantic Canada concerts in 2003? A few of us had planned on going to four or five of them, but they got canceled, due to Gord's illness. I hope he picks up where he left off, because he hasn't been to Atlantic Canada in a very long time, and he has a bunch of fans in the area.

Oh yes, Sunday Concert was recorded at Massey in 1969. There are rumors of a new Massey Hall compilation in the works, and of course, his newest CD, Harmony, will be released on May 11th. We're in countdown mode right now!

[This message has been edited by Cathy (edited May 02, 2004).]
Old 05-02-2004, 09:49 AM   #24
Cathy

Fred

Well thank you, Fred. I've been at it for a very long time, since 1963, I think. I grew up in a house where there was always music. My mother's siblings and parents, and their friends used to gather at Mom and Dad's just about every weekend and jam all night. I was exposed to it from the day I was born, and my uncles started teaching me to play at age 7 or 8. I don't really remember that much about learning to play. It just seems like I've always done it.

I think Paul Simon influenced my playing style more than anyone did. Actually, even though my versions of Gord's songs sound a lot like Gord's, my picking style is completely different. He's a thumb and two finger picker, and I'm a thumb and three finger picker. I do a lot of multi-string pinching in my style. Probably, if I'd have had lessons, I would play like Gord, but I taught myself. I couldn't always distinguish between the lead player and the rhythm picker, so I ended up with a style that combines the two elements. I think the best example of that is Croce's These Dreams on my website. I ended up playing half Jim and half Maury. The intro to Song For a Winter's Night is like that, too. I'm playing something that sounds similar to what Terry plays, but in reality, is completely different. But it works for me, so that's good enough!
I'm itching to get my hands on a new UltraSound amp that is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I've already warned the neighbors...

Old 05-02-2004, 03:06 PM   #25
muklucannie

You're hired. Is a 10% cut okay with you?
LOL. Let's see.... 10% of nothing is......
uhhhhh...
It's still more than Ed paid you, isn't it?

Cathy
Ed ain't paid me NOTHING yet! So you'd be right on par with him!
lol

muklucannie is offline   Reply With Quote