banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 03-08-2008, 02:24 AM   #26
Doug

Send a message via AIM to Doug
Default Re: Massey 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfowles View Post
I have a nice monaural video of the November 1966 jam session "Seven Island Suite".
<snip>
That is an mov format video of under 10MB that should play in the Apple quicktime player (if you have it that is)
John are you sure it's from 1966?

And you getting on CHar about file sizes? This one was 88.3 MB. Thank goodness for high speed cable!
Old 03-08-2008, 08:23 AM   #27
Jesse Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
John are you sure it's from 1966?

And you getting on CHar about file sizes? This one was 88.3 MB. Thank goodness for high speed cable!
Hi Doug,

I wish everyone had high speed internet ! You would think that in 2008, dial-up would be a thing of the past ? I know some people with dial up, and to watch the way it functions, is not good.

Last edited by Jesse Joe; 03-08-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:12 PM   #28
charlene

The link that John posted didn't work for me..and I have that interview at a smaller file size now..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 02:11 PM   #29
brink-

Can you describe what Sue looks like? I don't know who Ann is either.

An addition to my rememberance....I also met little Anne in 2005, I thought I met her at the last one, but as my pictures attest to I found her in 2005.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:38 PM   #30
Doug

Send a message via AIM to Doug

Bringing this back to the top. I know there are more of you out there who have stories to tell about Massey 1999. Hey go for 2001.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:34 PM   #31
charlene

Well I was at Massey in 1999 but had no idea about the Net People in my midst. Once again I ventured to Massey totally oblivious to the fact that anyone from outside of the immediate area around Toronto was attending the concerts.. lol
It was only a few weeks later that I found this community on-line..and then would take part in the huge convention that 2001 turned out to be..meeting so many great people at Massey, the Delta Chelsea and my home..what a memorable time..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:35 PM   #32
Jenney

I would love to recount some of my stories too, but for some reason I can't post to Corfid from my home computer. I get a funky error message. I can post from work, but am not supposed to be on line there so never get the opportunity.
Doug was my first "invisible" friend I met, I think it was in 1998 if I'm not mistaken. I remember calling my husband up after meeting Doug, Darin and Andy and saying "I have found my people!!" It was a magical time, as was 1999.
Jenney
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:55 AM   #33
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Jenney was the first "invisible" friend I met, in May, 1998 in New London, CT. She sent me a picture of her with Gord (at the APPT CD signing), and that's how we found her. 1999 was my first Massey, and like Jenney I remember both 1998 and 1999 as very magical. I even got to meet Andy when I was visiting Denver, also in 1999; he drove in from Fort Collins (I think it was) just to meet me (after checking with Jenney that I wasn't an axe murderer or other such undesirable).

Massey 2001 was great too!

Ah, memories.
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:21 PM   #34
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlmagee View Post
I even got to meet Andy when I was visiting Denver, also in 1999; he drove in from Fort Collins (I think it was) just to meet me (after checking with Jenney that I wasn't an axe murderer or other such undesirable).
OK I have for a long time seriously wondered how the expression "axe murderer" came into existance in the first place.
As soon as I found the chatroom in 1999 I was introduced to the notion that anybody there could in fact not be a genuine Lighthead but at the worst could be an axe murderer, which needed no further explanation as the implications were obvious
but why this extremely gruesome choice for a mythically bad person??
why not a simple murderer, a serial rapist or a con man/woman etc
the best I could come up with by googling was that the title of an early (1993) Mike Myers film was
"So I Married an axe murderer"

Which does not really answer my question because the film maker must have already known of the expression else he would not have thought of it. So quite why this particular expression then became associated with possible undesirables that one could meet in cyberspace is to me a mystery.
Was there a famous case that I missed where somebody met up with somebody he/she had met online and was then murdered with an axe???
Any ideas anybody???
I had intended returning with two pertinent Newsgroup posting links (remember this corfid the site only started in September 1999 just before Massey that November) see Florian's announcement to an unsuspecting world at:-
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.m...e24483fcb705c3
the first link I have now refound and is to Doug's own splendid account of his first meeting with Jenney at the APPT signing at Sam The Record Man's at:-

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.m...756ef016790e9e

I had repeated that link in another NG posting in 2004 when I recommended reading it by saying:-
"That is IMHO one of this Newsgroup's highlights from the past and well worth a refreshing read or a first read by anyone here who has never seen it before
the building excitement is a palpable experience"
and I will now PM Diane (sundown 17) to see if she feels inclined to post the link to her epic Newsgroup posting aboot her own 1999 experiences
whilst trying to find Doug's recount I found another 1998 Newsgroup thread "GL News from DownUnder" that is sure to be of interest to Australian fans at:-
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.m...411682cab34b35

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:49 PM   #35
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by brink- View Post
Can you describe what Sue looks like? I don't know who Ann is either.

An addition to my rememberance....I also met little Anne in 2005, I thought I met her at the last one, but as my pictures attest to I found her in 2005.
OK Deb you did ask
Sue Bloo looks remarkably like the lady sitting next to Ann as I said before
She is not very tall has fair hair and is a most pleasant fan who got married a while back but since then has "dropped out of circulation except when you yourself managed to get in contact with her
And Ann was an old friend of Gordon and Melissa. from LA
She was the late Ann Johnson. see Mellisa's heartfelt Newsgroup posting "A Tribute to a Friend" in 2003 at:-
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.m...7ec8acb9633f9f

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm

Old 03-15-2008, 03:58 PM   #36
Jesse Joe

Sir John,

A guitar in the music field sometimes will be called an axe. So just maybe this is what they are saying, but then again maybe not ? Just my 2 cents here...

Originally Posted by vlmagee
I even got to meet Andy when I was visiting Denver, also in 1999; he drove in from Fort Collins (I think it was) just to meet me (after checking with Jenney that I wasn't an axe murderer or other such undesirable).

Also Eric Clapton is a mean axe murderer, ie: very good guitar player ?

Or Charlene is an axe murderer, ie: she can't play the guitar very well ?

In concert in 1969 in Charlottetown PEI, Gordon introduces Me And Bobby McGee by saying Roger Miller murdered the song. Did Mr. Miller do a good job, or a bad job with the song ?

Last edited by Jesse Joe; 03-15-2008 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:00 PM   #37
Jesse Joe

Sorry John in my last post we must have been typing together !
Old 03-15-2008, 04:18 PM   #38
Jesse Joe

But still is not clear !

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...1/14/robot-axe

Last edited by Jesse Joe; 03-15-2008 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:06 PM   #39
Jesse Joe

What I got from this video, is if you smash a perfectly good guitar, then your an axe murderer. ???
Old 03-15-2008, 06:51 PM   #40
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfowles View Post
OK I have for a long time seriously wondered how the expression "axe murderer" came into existance in the first place.

but why this extremely gruesome choice for a mythically bad person??
There is Lizzie Borden :

Lizzie Borden took an axe
And gave her mother forty whacks.
And when she saw what she had done,
She gave her father forty-one.

That trial captured the imagination of the public in 1893, and perhaps an embellished version was passed down from one generation to another.

But "long before the white man, and long before the wheel", people were chopping each other up with axe-like tools......for real.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:10 PM   #41
johnfowles

In lieu of a Massey adventure this year and becsause this thread features a previous display of the "gorilla" (Canary Yellow Canoe) tee shirt picture ** I am bringing back this thread from 2008
** a rude bit of Photoshopping by a rude English boy called Brian something

I meant no one no harm