banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 05-29-2000, 02:17 PM   #1
charlene

Out of all of Gord's songs - and all the people he has written about, WHO would you want to be if you could?
I always wanted to be ANN in Carefree Highway!
My middle name is Ann and I grew up even before Carefree Highway wishing it was my first name because no one ever knew how to spell Charlene. On top of that I had an Italian surname that was no picnic to spell either! Then when Carefree Highway came along and I fell in love with Gord (for many reasons LOL) I remember wishing I was Ann and that I would never leave him not knowing what to do!
How about you?
Char

CAREFREE HIGHWAY - GL
Pickin' up the pieces of my sweet shattered dream
I wonder how the old folks are tonight
Her name was Ann and I'll be damned if I recall her face
She left me not knowin' what to do
Carefree highway, let me slip away on you
Carefree highway, you seen better days
The mornin' after blues from my head down to my shoes
Carefree highway, let me slip away
Slip away on you

Turnin' back the pages to the times I love best
I wonder if she'll ever do the same
Now the thing that I call livin' is just bein' satisfied
With knowin' I got no one left to blame

Carefree highway, got ta see you my old flame
Slip away on you

Searchin' through the fragments of my dream-shattered sleep
I wonder if the years have closed her mind
I guess it must be wanderlust or tryin' to get free
From the good old faithful feelin' we once knew

Slip away on you
Let me slip away on you
Slip away on you

charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2000, 02:17 PM   #2
charlene

Out of all of Gord's songs - and all the people he has written about, WHO would you want to be if you could?
I always wanted to be ANN in Carefree Highway!
My middle name is Ann and I grew up even before Carefree Highway wishing it was my first name because no one ever knew how to spell Charlene. On top of that I had an Italian surname that was no picnic to spell either! Then when Carefree Highway came along and I fell in love with Gord (for many reasons LOL) I remember wishing I was Ann and that I would never leave him not knowing what to do!
How about you?
Char

CAREFREE HIGHWAY - GL
Pickin' up the pieces of my sweet shattered dream
I wonder how the old folks are tonight
Her name was Ann and I'll be damned if I recall her face
She left me not knowin' what to do
Slip away on you

Turnin' back the pages to the times I love best
I wonder if she'll ever do the same
Now the thing that I call livin' is just bein' satisfied
With knowin' I got no one left to blame

Slip away on you

Searchin' through the fragments of my dream-shattered sleep
I wonder if the years have closed her mind
I guess it must be wanderlust or tryin' to get free
From the good old faithful feelin' we once knew

Slip away on you
Let me slip away on you
Slip away on you

Old 05-29-2000, 05:10 PM   #3
jennybryce

Interesting topic, Charlene, since Anne is my name, I could always relate to Carefree Highway also, although I always hated my name, (too plain!). I had never heard a popular song before with my name in it, so when Carefree Highway came out, I was thrilled. Then when Gord mentioned in his Songbook notes that there really was an Anne, I felt a sudden kinship. Although I would never leave him "not knowin' what to do" either!

[This message has been edited by Anne (edited May 29, 2000).]
jennybryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2000, 05:10 PM   #4
Anne

Interesting topic, Charlene, since Anne is my name, I could always relate to Carefree Highway also, although I always hated my name, (too plain!). I had never heard a popular song before with my name in it, so when Carefree Highway came out, I was thrilled. Then when Gord mentioned in his Songbook notes that there really was an Anne, I felt a sudden kinship. Although I would never leave him "not knowin' what to do" either!

[This message has been edited by Anne (edited May 29, 2000).]
Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2000, 05:49 PM   #5
charlene

Anne
I just noticed on my post I left the "E" off my Ann! Mine is spelled ANNE and I always (and still do) thought it was beautiful. I used to write it out - it was simple and elegant - especially with the "E" - that's what clinched it for me!!
Charlene Anne W.
the only song like my name is "Oh Charlena". Lord I hate that song!
Old 05-29-2000, 05:49 PM   #6
charlene

Anne
I just noticed on my post I left the "E" off my Ann! Mine is spelled ANNE and I always (and still do) thought it was beautiful. I used to write it out - it was simple and elegant - especially with the "E" - that's what clinched it for me!!
Charlene Anne W.
the only song like my name is "Oh Charlena". Lord I hate that song!
Old 06-01-2000, 07:36 PM   #7
don evans

Charlene, I would like to be the person in the song "Beautiful". It is so nice to have your significant other think of you in those terms. Too many times I have felt like the singer of IYCRMM...there is a line"I think that I was made for you and you were made for me." That has come so true in my life recently.
don evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2000, 07:36 PM   #8
Grace

Charlene, I would like to be the person in the song "Beautiful". It is so nice to have your significant other think of you in those terms. Too many times I have felt like the singer of IYCRMM...there is a line"I think that I was made for you and you were made for me." That has come so true in my life recently.
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2000, 08:11 PM   #9
charlene

Grace:
I know how you feel about that! "Beautiful" was one of our wedding songs 26 years ago and it is a very wonderful feeling to have someone think that of you. It is my all time favourite Gord song and the one I cry through every time I see him perform it live. I hope you have as much love for all time as you do now.
Charlene
Old 06-01-2000, 08:11 PM   #10
charlene

Grace:
I know how you feel about that! "Beautiful" was one of our wedding songs 26 years ago and it is a very wonderful feeling to have someone think that of you. It is my all time favourite Gord song and the one I cry through every time I see him perform it live. I hope you have as much love for all time as you do now.
Charlene
Old 06-01-2000, 08:43 PM   #11
CanadaGirl38

Man, now you've got me thinking of Ann (no "e") from long ago. She also identified with "Farewell to Annabelle." I do recall her face. And she did leave me not knowing what to do. But life turned out OK. They say if you want to make God laugh tell gim your plans. That certainly proved true in my case. I wish Ann well wherever she is these days.

Back to topic - I wouldn't mind being the kid in "Brave Mountaineers." I suppose at one time I came pretty close to it.
CanadaGirl38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2000, 08:43 PM   #12
fezo

Man, now you've got me thinking of Ann (no "e") from long ago. She also identified with "Farewell to Annabelle." I do recall her face. And she did leave me not knowing what to do. But life turned out OK. They say if you want to make God laugh tell gim your plans. That certainly proved true in my case. I wish Ann well wherever she is these days.

Back to topic - I wouldn't mind being the kid in "Brave Mountaineers." I suppose at one time I came pretty close to it.
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2000, 12:29 PM   #13
Tom

Was there ever a doubt that I'd want to be the Maryann in his "Mountains and Maryann"? He wrote that song for me, don't y'all know, and him not being familiar with my southern roots neglected to split the name like we sometimes do down here. Yeah, right!
Hey, on a side note- has anyone noticed that on Gord's earlier recording of that song, (he mispelled it again!) it was listed as The Mountain and Marian?

Mary Ann (a Georgia peach)
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2000, 12:29 PM   #14
Mary Ann

Was there ever a doubt that I'd want to be the Maryann in his "Mountains and Maryann"? He wrote that song for me, don't y'all know, and him not being familiar with my southern roots neglected to split the name like we sometimes do down here. Yeah, right!
Hey, on a side note- has anyone noticed that on Gord's earlier recording of that song, (he mispelled it again!) it was listed as The Mountain and Marian?

Mary Ann (a Georgia peach)
Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2000, 10:47 PM   #15
jennybryce

I went on a Don Quixote binge the other day and listened to this CD for hours on a road trip. I would like to be Susan from On Susan's Floor. Even though Gord didn't write this one, it is a lovely song, and brings back memories of the 70's, sitting around with friends and singing along while someone played guitar. I would have loved to have been Susan, and have the opportunity to welcome Gord to my door, (and floor?)!!
Anne
jennybryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2000, 10:47 PM   #16
Anne

I went on a Don Quixote binge the other day and listened to this CD for hours on a road trip. I would like to be Susan from On Susan's Floor. Even though Gord didn't write this one, it is a lovely song, and brings back memories of the 70's, sitting around with friends and singing along while someone played guitar. I would have loved to have been Susan, and have the opportunity to welcome Gord to my door, (and floor?)!!
Anne
Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2000, 05:41 PM   #17
charlene

Come on folks - who would you be???
Wes, Rob, Val, Florian - everyone - tell us who you would be from one of Gord's songs!
Char
Old 06-28-2000, 05:41 PM   #18
charlene

Come on folks - who would you be???
Wes, Rob, Val, Florian - everyone - tell us who you would be from one of Gord's songs!
Char
Old 06-28-2000, 06:45 PM   #19
GLuis

I'm not real sure who I would want to be but I do know I would not want to be the mother of the child in Circle of Steel. That's got to be an almost hopeless feeling. Circle of Steel is maybe my favorite song. Does he ever perform it live?.
Old 06-28-2000, 06:45 PM   #20
GLuis

I'm not real sure who I would want to be but I do know I would not want to be the mother of the child in Circle of Steel. That's got to be an almost hopeless feeling. Circle of Steel is maybe my favorite song. Does he ever perform it live?.
Old 06-28-2000, 08:14 PM   #21
Wingdrops

I ruled out wanting to be Gord. Too obvious, plus all that polka dot underwear.

I'd be the captain of "Silver Heels" sailing along in the lee of Christian Island, Georgian Bay, sipping on some whiskey of the highlands, preferably a nice single malt.

A close second choice, the guy with the gal in "Beautiful."

Actually, no reason that I couldn't be both!
Sail all day and then home to someone "made for me." Don't think I can imagine a life better than that.

------------------
"And the laughter came too easy for life to pass me by." - SDYS
Wingdrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2000, 08:14 PM   #22
2Much2Lose

I ruled out wanting to be Gord. Too obvious, plus all that polka dot underwear.

I'd be the captain of "Silver Heels" sailing along in the lee of Christian Island, Georgian Bay, sipping on some whiskey of the highlands, preferably a nice single malt.

A close second choice, the guy with the gal in "Beautiful."

Actually, no reason that I couldn't be both!
Sail all day and then home to someone "made for me." Don't think I can imagine a life better than that.

------------------
"And the laughter came too easy for life to pass me by." - SDYS
2Much2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2000, 09:28 PM   #23
gathrb

I'd probably be Dan from "Old Dan's Records". I'm too young to have any 78rpms, but I could play 45rpms & CD's & MP3's "and dance all night!" I also relate to "Beautiful"...I chose that song and Elvis' "And I Love You So" for our wedding in 1986.
After thinking about for awhile, if not Dan, then I'm with Silver Heels in Christian Island. Yes, I'm sure there was a girl on board. Although in my fantasy we'd be on a motorboat...just trolling along. "I'm sailing down the summer wind/I got whiskers on my chin/And I like the mood I'm in..."

[This message has been edited by Tom (edited July 10, 2000).]

gathrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2000, 09:28 PM   #24
Tom

I'd probably be Dan from "Old Dan's Records". I'm too young to have any 78rpms, but I could play 45rpms & CD's & MP3's "and dance all night!" I also relate to "Beautiful"...I chose that song and Elvis' "And I Love You So" for our wedding in 1986.
After thinking about for awhile, if not Dan, then I'm with Silver Heels in Christian Island. Yes, I'm sure there was a girl on board. Although in my fantasy we'd be on a motorboat...just trolling along. "I'm sailing down the summer wind/I got whiskers on my chin/And I like the mood I'm in..."

Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2000, 11:18 PM   #25
charlene

Tom - I Had Beautiful at my wedding too - In the mid-70's tho! And an Elvis song too - I Can't Help Falling In Love With You (Wise Men). And Billy Joel's "You're My Home".
I love Old Dan's Records - it gives images of a happy family coming together and having music unite them in all it's joy.
Char