banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 02-24-2004, 09:35 PM   #1
david.krah@schenker.com

Can someone give me an explanation of this song? I enjoy the song, but have not been able to get the meaning.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:35 PM   #2
david.krah@schenker.com

Can someone give me an explanation of this song? I enjoy the song, but have not been able to get the meaning.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:21 PM   #3
2Much2Lose

quote:Originally posted by david.krah@schenker.com:

There was a discussion about this song a few years back on alt.music.lightfoot. I did a quick Google search and found the post by Derek that I was looking for. I thought at the time it was quite eloquent, and now all these years later find it even more so.

Try this link to go there.
http://tinyurl.com/3xhkk

[This message has been edited by Jenney (edited February 24, 2004).]
2Much2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 11:21 PM   #4
Jenney

quote:Originally posted by david.krah@schenker.com:

There was a discussion about this song a few years back on alt.music.lightfoot. I did a quick Google search and found the post by Derek that I was looking for. I thought at the time it was quite eloquent, and now all these years later find it even more so.

Try this link to go there.
http://tinyurl.com/3xhkk

[This message has been edited by Jenney (edited February 24, 2004).]
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 07:33 AM   #5
TheWatchman

Great song. That link really hit the nail on the head.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 09:13 AM   #6
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

mmmmm, well, that post by Derek was from before my time (on the newsgroup). I'm afraid I can't completely agree, however; the interpretation of the individual lines is much as I would have said (but I hadn't thought of that brilliant reference to King Lear), but I always thought of "Race" as about only one person not two. The "you" is not a second person but himself. Try it that way and see what you think. Doesn't change the message at all, but maybe that is the way he meant it? "You" is often used to refer to oneself philosophically, and I happen to think that the description fits him to a "T". He always was the "restless" one. I think it is Lightfoot reflecting on his own life.

------------------
Valerie Magee

Visit my GL fan site at gordonlightfoot.com and Cathy Cowette's web site at cathycowette.com
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 12:59 PM   #7
Borderstone

I thought the meaning of the song was obvious. As we go along in life we think we have a perfect plan and direction,as well as feeling like we have it all figured out. In reality,you never know what to expect from one day to the next.
Also,"if you plan to face tomorrow do it soon",means look life in the face and deal with it before time passes by you. I think that sums it up best but i know others have a different take. Been me,later.

------------------
Borderstone,gonna post some lines tonight!

[This message has been edited by Borderstone (edited February 25, 2004).]
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 01:11 PM   #8
DMD3

I always thought it was about a man telling a former loved one that she hasn't had the last laugh and she will be the one in bad shape in the long run.
Old 02-25-2004, 01:11 PM   #9
DMD3

I always thought it was about a man telling a former loved one that she hasn't had the last laugh and she will be the one in bad shape in the long run.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:40 AM   #10
Morgus

I was under the impression that the song was about starting over, even thriving, when the world crashes around you. Your personal world may be "in ruins," but you can still operate and "race" to see how well you can function amid all the debris. It's about not giving up.

------------------
"Pickin' up the pieces of my sweet, shattered dream..."
Morgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 11:40 AM   #11
AZroute74

I was under the impression that the song was about starting over, even thriving, when the world crashes around you. Your personal world may be "in ruins," but you can still operate and "race" to see how well you can function amid all the debris. It's about not giving up.

------------------
"Pickin' up the pieces of my sweet, shattered dream..."
AZroute74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 12:02 PM   #12
SilverHeels

For what its worth, I think - like with all poetry and art - it is personal to each of us. Whatever we read into it, is what it is.
Just my opinion.
SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:37 PM   #13
Wesley

I just heard the song on a live 365 sttaion for the 1st time in years.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:37 PM   #14
Affair on Touhy Ave.

I just heard the song on a live 365 sttaion for the 1st time in years.
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 12:52 AM   #15
rickv

There's often a bit of melancholy in Gord's songs and this one is no exception. Plainly I think it's about taking life seriously, not being overly optimistic, because there is always potential failure or sadness that goes with it. The "race" part I can't explain, unless his suggestion in the allegory of the title is that you can run from, but can't escape some eventual ruin. I mean, if nothing else you have to die regardless of your status, so - "if you plan to face tomorrow do it soon". At least the the melody is upbeat! It's one of my favorites of his, despite the soberness of the lyric. And now for a change of pace, how 'bout a discussion of "Cotton Jenny"!

[ June 18, 2006, 02:44: Message edited by: rickv ]
rickv is offline   Reply With Quote